Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

bubbles1812

I'm sure it will be amazing.

However, how long is Comcast going to keep customer service high at Universal, they aren't investing big bucks into Comcast customer service, they are fairly desperate on the Studio side, and NBC still requires a ton of time and investment.
Random but just wanted to comment... Man does Comcast have so much work to do with NBC. Every network has problems with the possible exception of CBS, but holy crap is NBC a disaster. The leakage of viewers to the cable nets certainly doesn't help anything, but I honestly don't know how they are going to fix that network.

It'll certainly be interesting going forward to see how Comcast deals with the success of Universal as compared to the divisions that are struggling. My hope is that they keep up the investment/customer service at Universal to help offset any losses they take in the less successful divisions. Clearly they see it as an asset right now and for the very least into the short/mid future.

PhotoDave219

You know, whiskey aficionado Christina Hendricks?

Christina-Hendricks-demolitionvenom-31830040-489-720.jpg

englanddg

One Little Spark...
We were referring to higher ed. K12 has it's spending and systemic issues, but that was not the point of my post.

When colleges shifted to a debt model, costs skyrocketed. This was precipitated due to reduced direct investment see UC system and how it was affected by the property tax caps and funding cuts.

Yes, state and county/community colleges do set tuition rates, which I never questioned. My issues was that the federal/state/county governments now exist in a system where no priority is made to make sure that public college is affordable without the use of student loans.
See for profit colleges that now target lower class/minority students for what can be argued is lesser quality, marked up community college which derive most of their revenue from student loans. (yes there are exceptions like the School of Visual Arts, but they are an outlier)

It's so nice to have a reasonable conversation about this. I agree with you on many points!

It would be my contention that demands of industry, which is a reflection of the general society as a whole, create or develop demand for trained labor. If college taught all skills and abilities, then why did Disney (using a very classic, but overstated example...just for edification) establish his own "re-education" program for his animators and later imagineers?

It could be argued (rightfully) that he was continuing their education and experience to make them better at their jobs. But, this was a private investment by a company in their employees, and investment that companies don't seem to care to make anymore quite with the passion or reason they used to (that what you learn in public education isn't the same as learning the mission required by the company and position assigned in the company).

With respect to for profit colleges, I taught at one part time for 3 years, and I can tell you that "for profit" means little outside of the fact they tack on private loans (subsidized by the government, e.g. taxpayers) on top of their Pell Grants, which are mostly a given.

I can also say that attrition at for profit colleges is horrendous. Above 50%, at our college. The primary reason was that many new enrollments are required to either be a student, or be looking for a job, to continue to receive their various social benefits.

A 3 month enrollment letter is easier than trying to keep up with job applications...so, we were an easy target for abuse of the social safety net.

The rest, the ones who really wanted to go to school, still had their own ways to game the system. For example, not getting married is a major benefit for a young family.

I can get into details as to how all this works, but, I really don't think it's appropriate.

The underlying point I'm making is that corporate stewardship and expansion is worth well more than government confiscation of profits...er...I mean taxes. I'd also add that if corporations were "evading" taxes, that would be illegal. What Disney does with their tax filings is perfectly legal. They are paying what the government has asked them (through several tax laws) to pay. They aren't "evading" anything.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Well thats because Joss Wheadon did it right and was left to do it right without any of the usual Hollywood tinkering....

And he did a great job. I rarely see movies in theatres...I saw this one on a whim, and ended up seeing it 3 times in the theatre (took my sister and her fiance, and later my parents, who both adored it!).

PhotoDave219

And he did a great job. I rarely see movies in theatres...I saw this one on a whim, and ended up seeing it 3 times in the theatre (took my sister and her fiance, and later my parents, who both adored it!).

Oh I totally agree. I was very hesitant going into it because based on the trailer it was going to be either very good or very bad - no middle ground.

But Based on every Warner Bros. comic book film of late (except The Batman Trilogy) seems to be AWFUL or worse. That last Superman movie? Ugh.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Batman went downhill as well...the first movie, amazing, by Bane, it was neat, and worth seeing, but not so good.

Trilogies suffer this though.

PhotoDave219

Batman flew out a nuclear bomb but didn't die at the very last minute...really...

Really.....

Okay... the first TWO. Batman Begins was good, The Dark Knight was over the top insane (Heath Ledger made & stole that movie) and I really have no idea what Dark Knight rises was.

My point being is that there are a LOT of stories told in these universes and lately, outside of the MCU, they havent been very good. Sony relaunched Spidey (why?) after 5 years since the last flik.... clearly thinking we forgot. Maybe if they had tried to tell a different story with that character.

And now we're going to see Kal-El, Krypton's favorite son get relaunched for the third time on the bigscreen?

If WB had half a brain, they'd focus more on quality than hype.

PhotoDave219

Trilogies suffer this though.

You mean the Opera House scene of Godfather 3 when Sophia Copalla takes the bullet intended for Michael Corelone after what seemed like forever? I mean, even Quentin Tarantino must have been saying "alright, this is dragging, can you pick up the pace?"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom