Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

jt04

Your logic is incredibly tortured. But suffice it to say, there's superior tech from 10 years ago that still hasn't been introduced to WDW. Maybe they should wait another 10 years to start seriously plussing the parks' attractions, because just think how good the tech will be by then! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I was just pointing out the 'silver lining'. I certainly do NOT deserve three eye rolls for that!

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
The only answer is really ROI, Thy simply don't see a quick ROI on rapid capital investment in FL. Money can be spent in China, California and on the Cruise Line and get several multiples of revenue growth. Orlando is more of protective investments at this point. Just enough to keep things running and highly profitable. That will change and evolve over time.

There is no conspiracy, just basic capitalism.

Uni will start seeing their return on investment slow, not every attraction is going to create the growth that WWoHP has created, but Comcast has the ability to grow in the multiples Disney is seeing elsewhere, so t is fiscally wise to continue.

The cycle will shift just like it has in the past.

Yeah, this is true... I advise people to sift the 2012 financial statements and look at domestic P&R margins. Hint, they're pretty bad...

jt04

Whether or not a person is "impossible" to work with is not objective. While Person A may find Person C "impossible," Person B may be able to work well with Person C. And you are obviously not familiar with the development history of the project, like how Rowling had Universal Creative toss out their original idea to reskin Merlinwood and bring in people from Warner Bros.

I have no idea what you're talking about, but I don't parrot anyone or anything.

lazyboy97o

Even the spirit had serious doubts it would happen and even claimed it would not as long as Iger was CEO. When the deal happened it happened suddenly. And almost all attention got focused there it appears.
You really need to brush up on your history and culture of the People's Republic of China. Negotiation tactics are different and it is not at all unusual for a deal to go from troubled to finalized overnight.

BryceM

Yes she did which bolsters my point that she was not impossible to work with. That dog does not hunt. I have no idea who might have made the decision for Disney to pass on the franchise. Personally I am quite happy Potter is not at the MK. Just would not have worked thematically IMO.
Yes, it fits perfectly in Islands of Adventure. That is, it would fit even more perfectly if the show building wasn't so obvious from Jurassic Park... And I'm still slightly upset of losing Merlinwood from The Lost Continent and the change from Dueling Dragons to Dragon Challenge, but whatever.

And who said Potter was a gift from Disney to Universal? Give me a break.

jt04

You really need to brush up on your history and culture of the People's Republic of China. Negotiation tactics are different and it is not at all unusual for a deal to go from troubled to finalized overnight.

Heh. 74 said this is exactly why Iger would never get the deal. I'm still waiting for his explanation for getting that so wrong.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
This is dead on. TWDC is spending billions on parks and attractions worldwide, just not in FL. If the ROI is larger in CA or China they are going for it. Projects in FL like FLE and DVC had easy to project ROI. Nextgen is still a bit of a mystery to me, but someone believed in it enough to get it greenlit. I do think that DHS and AK will get their projects eventually, but Disney appears to be in no hurry with them.

See the domestic P&R margins and that is the underlying reason for MM+. They want to maximize revenues while reducing operative costs... Which would fix margins.

jt04

Yes, it fits perfectly in Islands of Adventure. That is, it would fit even more perfectly if the show building wasn't so obvious from Jurassic Park... And I'm still slightly upset of losing Merlinwood from The Lost Continent and the change from Dueling Dragons to Dragon Challenge, but whatever.

And who said Potter was a gift from Disney to Universal? Give me a break.

I just put it out there as a point of discussion. My opinion is that Disney just did not want the franchise. But I am willing to consider other possibilities.

FrankLapidus

I was just pointing out the 'silver lining'. I certainly do NOT deserve three eye rolls for that!

More or less eveything you post deserves at least three eye rolls. To be fair I get a good chuckle out of a lot of it though so I can't complain. I love a good conspiracy so I'm especially enjoying tonight's fare while I wait for the baseball to begin.

jt04

More or less eveything you post deserves at least three eye rolls. To be fair I get a good chuckle out of a lot of it though so I can't complain. I love a good conspiracy so I'm especially enjoying tonight's fare while I wait for the baseball to begin.

Baseball is scripted.

jt04

True, they passed because they didn't like the amount of creative control she wanted. Didn't she also want the production team from the films involved with the design rather than leave it to WDI? And then they jumped into bed with James Cameron which makes it all the more baffling. I'm not sorry they passed because, going by their current track record at WDW, I have no faith that they would done it as well as Universal did.

What color was the Kool-Aid.

PhotoDave219

Deciding Potter was just not right for Disney is no conspiracy theory. And I was not the first to suggest this is what happened. Don't you find it interesting that some began to tell a similar story about James Cameron as was said about JK? And Mr Cameron has a track record of being able to get a theme park attraction built.

I could fully understand Disney not wanting Potter due to the percolating controversy at the time.

No, you said they just handed it off. Thats apples an oranges compared to deciding its not a right fit.

I agree, its not a right fit. Pandora is not a right fit either.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom