Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

jt04

No, you said they just handed it off. Thats apples an oranges compared to deciding its not a right fit.

I agree, its not a right fit. Pandora is not a right fit either.

Again, I was just questioning the possibility and 74 dodged answering. My personal opinion is that wiser minds decided it was not right for the MK controversy or not. And honestly, it works so much better at Universal. As does Transformers, The Mummy, MiB, T2, ET, The Simpsons etc.

I really like how franchises that do not fit the Disney profile end up at Universal. Happy accident I guess.

PhotoDave219

Again, I was just questioning the possibility and 74 dodged answering. My personal opinion is that wiser minds decided it was not right for the MK controversy or not. And honestly, it works so much better at Universal. As does Transformers, The Mummy, MiB, T2, ET, The Simpsons etc.

I really like how franchises that do not fit the Disney profile end up at Universal. Happy accident I guess.

My point is passing on a franchise is totally different than just handing it to someone else. Disney was in the negiotiations to at least force Uni to spend some money to get the rights. Just handing it over would be them not being involved at all.

Tho we're splitting hairs here. Really doesnt mean anything.

Calvin Coolidge

HP would make a great "Stand Alone" park. It can draw and its proven that.

I mostly agree, but...is there any guarantee that its draw would be as strong in, say, 15-20 years? That would be a big risk. Other franchises with real, long-term staying power (Star Wars, Star Trek, DC, Marvel) have continuously produced new content. JKR says she's done writing books. I can't imagine she'd authorize any "expanded universe" written by someone else. She hasn't seemed receptive to fans' interest in reading about the Marauders, or the Hogwarts founders...unless they start remaking the movies in 10 years (entirely possible) I'd think it was risky from a financial perspective to spend money on a whole park just for HP.

Lee

Adventurer
I prefer the simpler answer. Disney just decided Potter was not right.
No. They knew Potter was right.

They wanted Potter. Bad.
Proposals were made, concepts developed, terms were negotiated.

In the end, Disney just couldn't stomach the terms JKR was demanding.
To this day, there are elements if the Disney management that greatly regrets not getting the deal done, and yes that was a factor in their decision to strike a (much more favorable) deal with Jim Cameron.

Calvin Coolidge

While we're talking about what is and isn't a good fit for Disney parks...I definitely feel like Iron Man and Captain America (the MCU versions) are a great fit for a Disney park. But I kind of hope that Marvel presence doesn't really extend beyond that. (yes, I know about the UNI contract, no I don't expect Marvel in WDW any time soon, but Marvel in Shanghai and Anaheim is pretty inevitable at this point)

lego606

MagicBandit

They wanted Potter. Bad.

To this day, there are elements if the Disney management that greatly regrets not getting the deal done, and yes that was a factor in their decision to strike a (much more favorable) deal with Jim Cameron.

Cinderella Castle --> Hogwarts
Spaceship Earth --> Universal globe
BAH --> Sorting Hat
Tree of Life --> Whomping Willow

See? The infrastructure is already in place.

jt04

They wanted Potter. Bad.

Why dis social media and then parrot them? (rhetorical)

PhotoDave219

They wanted Potter. Bad.

Would have Disney done a stand alone HP park?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom