PHOTO - NextGen RFID entry system installed at the Haunted Mansion

Nemo14

Translation: "I will use every attempt to complain about the things I want even when it's completely off topic. Everything is about me, me, me."

This is like little kids complaining about money being spent on roads and bridges when it could be spend on ice cream for everybody.

Sometimes the ice cream is the better choice.

Cybercat

Banned
And it would be nice if some whiners on the internet would get an education so they had a clue about how budgeting in a corporation actually works.

lazyboy97o

I disagree. Maybe there's some overflow and sliding of funds for NextGen, but the reality is - NextGen has to happen. If Disney doesn't do it someone else will first - and then we'll all be that Disney charges too much to "be behind their competition in technology".
Nobody else is doing anything similar because they see the biggest public component, FastPass Plus, as a massive boondoggle that only has value when other guests are artificially inconvenienced. FastPass for something like The Haunted Mansion has little value because the wait never gets long. So how do you charge a price for something people don't want for free? make the free version worse. It's like slowing down a once free app so people buy the new pay version. Other parks are seeing the value in direct investments in show, not gimmicks.

I still don't see at all how they can/should be doing far more at once. If they closed down any other attractions for maintenance or refurbishment there'd be nothing left to ride!
And who's fault is that? Capacity has been cut over the years by park management to reduce costs and increase earnings.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Smokey3.jpg

We have the power.. click the button.. save yourself

Buried20KLeague

This is like little kids complaining about money being spent on roads and bridges when it could be spend on ice cream for everybody.

If the roads and bridges that they're building create toll roads where there once were none, and cut down one lane of highway so I'll have to sit in traffic longer every night to get home, you better believe I'm going to complain.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If the roads and bridges that they're building create toll roads where there once were none, and cut down one lane of highway so I'll have to sit in traffic longer every night to get home, you better believe I'm going to complain.

Welcome to where I live :) Exactly what's happening here.. but instead of cutting roads, they are just not adding any capacity and instead adding toll roads.

ebof1023

here is the thing no matter what happens there are always going to be people who are un happy with what innovations are being made,These are just tests, meaning there are going to be kinks in what is going on, this whole idea is not set in stone with how its gonig to be in the future, so instead of just fighting about it, lets just see what happens with these tests they may be good... and maybe just maybe these people who are incharge of disney know what they are doing. i look at these kind of things this way without experements(which this is) no scientist or inventor would have made any kind of discoveries...so sometimes it is better just to go with the flow and let things play out...who know when all of this is done and may be added permemently to the parks we may all love the idea...so lets just wait and see.

Tip Top Club

Because this thread has pretty much devolved into a shouting match, I have no intention of reading through all of it. Just in case it hasn't been mentioned it should be noted that Dumbo now has the Blue Next-Gen Poles on the Fastpass entrance side.

RSoxNo1

I know I'll get flamed from some here, but when we went to DL just a few short months ago, I was looking carefully and really did not find a lot of difference in the upkeep. We saw burned out lightbulbs that did not get replaced during the entire week we were there, peeling paint that didn't get fixed, rides down a LOT (think Little Mermaid for one, ToT was down multiple times when we went by as well), and other small things as well. We did prefer some of the rides at DL - POC and Small World for example, but we also preferred the WDW version of some of the rides - HM and Jungle Cruise as two examples. Some have mentioned that the film for Soarin' in DL is better, and, no, it wasn't any better. We saw lots of dirt and other artifacts just like the WDW version. They both need to be fixed.

Does WDW have issues? Absolutely!! I am not blind to the fact that TDO has run the place badly, and things need to be fixed (starting with removal of the TDO personnel that are responsible!!), but I think things are starting to improve. As someone mentioned, they have spent 6 billion over the last few years on DCL and DCA, and maybe they can start on WDW. I know some insiders say that nothing is coming, but sooner or later, TDA will start shoving more down their throat.
I didn't see a noticeable difference in smaller issues between the two resorts either. I saw issues in Disneyland, and for me the lack of the flying carpet at Aladdin a Musical Spectacular is comparable or even worse than the lack of a functioning Yeti in Expedition Everest. As for attractions breaking down, I do agree that attractions seem to "break" more often in California. I'm not sure what the issue is - whether it's higher standards of show, or if it's a lack of preventative maintenance. However, because of how densely populated the parks are, and how close they are to one another, I view this as less of an issue. If 2 rides go down at Hollywood Studios, that's 33% of the rides in the park, and 33% of the rides that a guest can experience within 30-60 minutes. The same is simply not true at the Disneyland Resort.
Do I think NextGen is the evil that some portay it? No. Why? Well, all that people seem to mention is the Fastpass+ part of it. And what an extremely small part it is. If you think that you don't want Disney to track where you are on property, well, they pretty much already can. They know exactly what times you are in your room, what park you are in, where you are shopping, and what restaurant you are in. What else do you think they're going to track that will be to your detriment?
If scheduling attractions in advance happens, it will be the largest guest component of NextGen and totally change how guests experience the parks.
So to get back on topic - I have been to WDW when the standby line for HM was over 60 minutes, so maybe the FP for an attraction such as this is only for seasonal high crowds, and not for everyday use. Since we have been to WDW so many times, we don't really use FP at all anymore, since we know what to ride when to avoid the crowds. I think everyone needs to chill about it until we all see exactly what gets implemented (remember, just because they test something does not mean it will actually show up) and how it affects our vacations.
There may be some truth to this, and if that's the case I really don't have an issue with it. However, the numbers don't add up for what they want to do. If they want to have each guest schedule 4 Fastpass attractions a day, they will have to add attractions to the lineup that don't need it. Personally, I feel that the current approach of 2 hours until you can acquire a new Fastpass (or less depending on the return time) is still more than fair. That can even be used for same day implementation of a scheduling process. But I think that some of the changes already happening (enforcement of return times) already mean that guests are getting less for their ticket price.

Californian Elitist

As for attractions breaking down, I do agree that attractions seem to "break" more often in California. I'm not sure what the issue is - whether it's higher standards of show, or if it's a lack of preventative maintenance.

Alice breaks down faithfully everyday, and I'm not exaggerating.

A ride can break down for a number of reasons, and maintenance usually isn't one of them. When maintenance is called they come right away. Sometimes a ride isn't even "broke down" when it's not operating. Someone could have dropped something and the ride had to be shut off or maybe the ride sensed unusual movement.

Cosmic Commando

I didn't see a noticeable difference in smaller issues between the two resorts either. I saw issues in Disneyland, and for me the lack of the flying carpet at Aladdin a Musical Spectacular is comparable or even worse than the lack of a functioning Yeti in Expedition Everest. As for attractions breaking down, I do agree that attractions seem to "break" more often in California. I'm not sure what the issue is - whether it's higher standards of show, or if it's a lack of preventative maintenance. However, because of how densely populated the parks are, and how close they are to one another, I view this as less of an issue. If 2 rides go down at Hollywood Studios, that's 33% of the rides in the park, and 33% of the rides that a guest can experience within 30-60 minutes. The same is simply not true at the Disneyland Resort.
Isn't the carpet an OSHA thing? I'm willing to give Disneyland a pass for OSHA shutting something down versus "It broke and we don't care to fix it." They are finally getting around to re-doing Alice, so I assume that they will eventually figure something out. The effects may affect my experience in a similar amount, but how mad I get about it depends on several factors.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Isn't the carpet an OSHA thing? I'm willing to give Disneyland a pass for OSHA shutting something down versus "It broke and we don't care to fix it." They are finally getting around to re-doing Alice, so I assume that they will eventually figure something out. The effects may affect my experience in a similar amount, but how mad I get about it depends on several factors.
If actors can be flown on and off Broadway every day (maybe an exaggeration), I don't understand why Disney cannot comply with OSHA regulations regarding this effect.

Cosmic Commando

If actors can be flown on and off Broadway every day (maybe an exaggeration), I don't understand why Disney cannot comply with OSHA regulations regarding this effect.
You're right, but maybe it's like Alice and it's more the design phase than the willingness to install.

George Lucas on a Bench

It looks terrible, of course. So there will be poles and computer screens everywhere, further destroying theme and making the parks a complete and utter mess to navigate for no apparent reason.

RSoxNo1

I know there was an incident before my trip. I'm guessing/hoping they're working on a work around.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom