PHOTO - NextGen RFID entry system installed at the Haunted Mansion

lebeau

Can we get Sinbad and Indiana Jones Adventure to fill the two expansion plots in Adventureland? ;)

510x287px-LL-0720b47b_nothing-meme-generator-you-ll-get-nothing-and-like-it-926b06.jpeg

Buried20KLeague

Not so - they are making plenty of bonehead moves out there too. Right now everything is overshadowed by the DCAv2 reboot, but they aren't flawless for sure (Rt66 bathrooms in Paradise Pier?? Indy effects.. etc). It's just often DL when brought up here is used comparatively to a situation in WDW where WDW is doing far worse in the comparison.

DL went far far lower than WDW did during it's dark times, but largely recovered in sense of show standards and most upkeep. They still deal with the sins of their fathers, and still face things like reductions in show, upkeep, pricing, merchandise, etc. But in many ways they are keeping their head above water much better than WDW as a whole. People give them a lot more slack when they are actually adding a ton of things consistently, where WDW keeps treading water hoping 'good enough' will carry them further.

WDW is fixing things (everyone loves to point out recent Main Street) - but only after unacceptable periods of time and running the show with subpar standards in the mean time.

Even if people don't want to believe the upkeep aspects - try comparing MK's parades and fireworks changes to the other parks...

I agree, DL ain't perfect. It's just got a lot less blemishes than it's Orlando Sister. I think everyone would be completely happy with DL level performance at WDW.

And you're right... DL sank low. Very low. But they got it turned around. Everything there is trending the right way, which is in stark contract to many aspects of WDW.

wannab@dis

You really perfer paperless FP over new e-tickets?

Complete strawman.

But, that's basically all the "malcontents" have. I actually like the new moniker -- malcontents. Chronically dissatisfied, no matter what's done. It's actually so fitting that I'm surprised it hasn't been used before! And, no one can say it's an attack on people... it's simply a descriptor with so much truth. Kudos to the originator.

IWant2GoNow

May I just toss out there that I don't believe any one is against the implementation of NextGen. Great step forward. But it was a LOT of money to spend that could have been placed elsewhere. That's where a few people are coming from who aren't too thrilled. Myself included. I think in my new signature it should say "Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Disney!". I don't consider myself a D&G or a PDS just someone who is concerned about the decision makers within the company.

alissafalco

I'm firmly considered a "doom and gloomer" and have made TONS of positive comments about the parks. With all due respect, it's not my job to make sure people notice those. Frankly, I don't care.

What I find funny is that none of the firmly pro-WDW folks ever notice (or at least they won't admit it) that virtually every single "doom and gloomer" here raves about Disneyland. From show quality to food options to night time shows, it's nearly impossible to find someone complain about what's going on out there. I actually don't believe that anyone here could name one person that posts here that seems to be anti-WDW AND anti-DL. That to me is clear proof that all the D&G'ers are Disney Parks fans... And that they are able to objectively look between properties and see where the value lies. They compare Disney against itself (literally) and complain about the clearly inferior product. That, to me, isn't a "hater". That's a good consumer.

I truly believe that a VAST number of people that are so pro-WDW are that way because frankly they don't know any better. They have nothing to compare it to. They've never been to the west coast, or god forbid Tokyo (which would REALLY ruin your view of WDW, trust me). They still have a swell time when they visit WDW, so everything is peachy. They don't mind that the Magic Kingdom hasn't had an E-ticket add in 20 years (20 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!). They're blissfully unaware. In a way, I envy them. I was one of them once. But I can't un-see what I've seen with my own eyes. What's done is done. There's a much better product out there than what WDW offers... Maybe even a few. And that's sad, because WDW used to be our "home resort". Not anymore.

I dare any of you to watch a good HD video of Sinbad's Storybook Voyage at DisneySea and not have it make your WDW heart sink just a bit. In fact, here's a link. Look at the detail. Look at every single effect fully functional. Listen to the MUSIC. The entire ride is in Japanese, and even with that, the storytelling is so amazing you know exactly what's going on. Jaw dropping. Completely jaw dropping.

Yes, I have to agree with you that many people just don't know any better...Having that said, I do have to give kudos to WDW over DL in regards to Cinderella's castle. Every time I walk into MK and see Cinderella's castle I'm just in awe of it's beauty. It really is magical to see it at the end of Main st. DL's sleeping beauty castle is no comparison to Cinderella's. I remember going to DL for the first time, and I was genuinely let down by sleeping beauty's castle. It is just no comparison, so WDW definitely has the better castle by far!! Also, LM hasn't opened yet in WDW, but I bet it will trump DL's LM ride. DL has the Ursula cut out and repeating AA's. I bet WDW won't make those mistakes and will win in that category also.

I loved the Sinbad ride video you posted. It was great!! It reminded me of what it's a small world would be like if it only went to the middle east. I also loved how long the ride was. It was almost 12 minutes long!!

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Complete strawman.

But, that's basically all the "malcontents" have. I actually like the new moniker -- malcontents. Chronically dissatisfied, no matter what's done. It's actually so fitting that I'm surprised it hasn't been used before! And, no one can say it's an attack on people... it's simply a descriptor with so much truth. Kudos to the originator.

Buy him a cup of coffee, and I'm sure you'll be even.....

Buried20KLeague

Yes, I have to agree with you that many people just don't know any better...Having that said, I do have to give kudos to WDW over DL in regards to Cinderella's castle. Every time I walk into MK and see Cinderella's castle I'm just in awe of it's beauty. It really is magical to see it at the end of Main st. DL's sleeping beauty castle is no comparison to Cinderella's. I remember going to DL for the first time, and I was genuinely let down by sleeping beauty's castle. It is just no comparison, so WDW definitely has the better castle by far!! Also, LM hasn't opened yet in WDW, but I bet it will trump DL's LM ride. DL has the Ursula cut out and repeating AA's. I bet WDW won't make those mistakes and will win in that category also.

I loved the Sinbad ride video you posted. It was great!! It reminded me of what it's a small world would be like if it only went to the middle east. I also loved how long the ride was. It was almost 12 minutes long!!

I do agree about the castle. And there are other ways WDW trumps DL, too... ToT is much better in WDW, I think, as an example (just don't visit Disney Sea's version, which is the best of all of them!). I like Splash better at WDW as an overall ride and story, but get horribly frustrated about its show condition.

But I'll bet you a dollar you're wrong on the LM. It'll be the same, down to the re-use of goofy under the sea characters for the finale wedding scene. I hope I'm wrong... I just don't think I will be. :oops:

Hey Steve... I love the site updates, but you GOTTA do something about these smilies. o_O

lebeau

Complete strawman.

You found one line you could argue against? Congratulations.

wannab@dis

I have to ask out of serious curiosity (i.e. I swear I'm not trying to be a smartass) but why does everyone keep saying they won't approve spending on much needed new attractions or maintenance? Do you have the inside scoop to see where they have written up project plans and then they were turned down due to funding? I am completely confused by statements like this just because they are spending millions on a ton of new attractions in Fantasyland, a whole new Test Track, a whole new land at AK (like it or not LOL), doing maintenance on each Mainstreet facade, the same in Fantasyland... I mean the list of everything they are doing right now and spending money on as far as "new attractions" and "maintenance" are concerned is mind boggling. I guess I just don't get why I keep seeing comments that they aren't spending money where they need to and are wasting money on things like a new network infrastructure and new technology to improve the overall guest experience.

Again, I'm asking seriously because I have to be missing the obvious somewhere.

You're not missing anything at all! In fact, you bring facts instead of entitlement. See, several people think NOTHING is being done unless it's targeted specifically to them. They can't stand the idea that attractions are being built they don't like so they will trash them before being complete. Maintenance being done that doesn't match their priority list is ignored. It's been done around here for a long time... balloons at the land anyone?

flynnibus

Premium Member
I do agree about the castle. And there are other ways WDW trumps DL, too...

MK's castle lights show is better...
MK's 3d projection mapping is far far better than DL's ITASW version...

Those are both examples where MK has done better in recent years. Ironically, they are both areas guests weren't really yearning for something new either.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I know I'll get flamed from some here, but when we went to DL just a few short months ago, I was looking carefully and really did not find a lot of difference in the upkeep. We saw burned out lightbulbs that did not get replaced during the entire week we were there, peeling paint that didn't get fixed, rides down a LOT (think Little Mermaid for one, ToT was down multiple times when we went by as well), and other small things as well. We did prefer some of the rides at DL - POC and Small World for example, but we also preferred the WDW version of some of the rides - HM and Jungle Cruise as two examples. Some have mentioned that the film for Soarin' in DL is better, and, no, it wasn't any better. We saw lots of dirt and other artifacts just like the WDW version. They both need to be fixed.

Does WDW have issues? Absolutely!! I am not blind to the fact that TDO has run the place badly, and things need to be fixed (starting with removal of the TDO personnel that are responsible!!), but I think things are starting to improve. As someone mentioned, they have spent 6 billion over the last few years on DCL and DCA, and maybe they can start on WDW. I know some insiders say that nothing is coming, but sooner or later, TDA will start shoving more down their throat.

Do I think NextGen is the evil that some portay it? No. Why? Well, all that people seem to mention is the Fastpass+ part of it. And what an extremely small part it is. If you think that you don't want Disney to track where you are on property, well, they pretty much already can. They know exactly what times you are in your room, what park you are in, where you are shopping, and what restaurant you are in. What else do you think they're going to track that will be to your detriment?

So to get back on topic - I have been to WDW when the standby line for HM was over 60 minutes, so maybe the FP for an attraction such as this is only for seasonal high crowds, and not for everyday use. Since we have been to WDW so many times, we don't really use FP at all anymore, since we know what to ride when to avoid the crowds. I think everyone needs to chill about it until we all see exactly what gets implemented (remember, just because they test something does not mean it will actually show up) and how it affects our vacations.

JWG

The reality is - the majority of vocal internet participants will never be happy with Disney's decisions. For everyone here up in arms over NextGen, if they came out tomorrow and said, screw it - we've heard the WDWMAGIC masses, and we've reallocated all of those $$'s to new attractions! Each gate will get 2 new major attractions of which at least one in each will be an "e-ticket" then all the people upset that they can't even maintain what they have and change lightbulbs or keep the monorail running or build a 5th gate will come out of the woodwork.

If funding was infinite and Disney wasn't a publically traded company with a balance sheet, I'd be all over them doing everything people want - 5th gate, new attractions, better upkeep, faster WiFi, more restaurants so no one has to wait more than 5 minutes or make a reservation, etc. However, they aren't.

This infrastructure is setting them up to be able to do all sorts of things in the future, things we haven't even thought of. It's an important investment in the long-term growth of the resort and it's relevancy over the next 25+ years. It's what will help make new attractions that much better, more innovative and entertaining. It's not just about FP+.

I guess phone and cable companies could have said screw the cost of fiber optics, we already have cabling that's "good enough" and failed to improve their systems and offerings.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If funding was infinite and Disney wasn't a publically traded company with a balance sheet, I'd be all over them doing everything people want - 5th gate, new attractions, better upkeep, faster WiFi, more restaurants so no one has to wait more than 5 minutes or make a reservation, etc. However, they aren't.

Yet somehow.. mysteriously... without infinate funding.. the company was able to operate with better upkeep and still added attractions and shows in the past.

Did Disney have a secret Money Tree then it died in the early 90s?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
The reality is - the majority of vocal internet participants will never be happy with Disney's decisions. For everyone here up in arms over NextGen, if they came out tomorrow and said, screw it - we've heard the WDWMAGIC masses, and we've reallocated all of those $$'s to new attractions! Each gate will get 2 new major attractions of which at least one in each will be an "e-ticket" then all the people upset that they can't even maintain what they have and change lightbulbs or keep the monorail running or build a 5th gate will come out of the woodwork.

This infrastructure is setting them up to be able to do all sorts of things in the future, things we haven't even thought of. It's an important investment in the long-term growth of the resort and it's relevancy over the next 25+ years. It's what will help make new attractions that much better, more innovative and entertaining. It's not just about FP+.

I guess phone and cable companies could have said screw the cost of fiber optics, we already have cabling that's "good enough" and failed to improve their systems and offerings.

I'm not upset over some of these innovations (and I can appreciate the need for both RFID improvements, along with the wifi ones), but rather the enormous budget Disney has decided to allocate for just this project. You are right, they do have finite resources, and instead of developing new rides and/or attractions (or providing at time even the basic upkeep for their existing ones) Disney has chosen to place gross amounts of funding and resources into Next Gen. I would prefer that perhaps this project be scaled back some (as so many others have been in the past), and WDW be given some additional rides and attractions for people to enjoy, rather than focusing time on virtual planning for the ones in place.

Cybercat

Banned
I'm not upset over some of these innovations (and I can appreciate the need for both RFID improvements, along with the wifi ones), but rather the enormous budget Disney has decided to allocate for just this project. You are right, they do have finite resources, and instead of developing new rides and/or attractions (or providing at time even the basic upkeep for their existing ones) Disney has chosen to place gross amounts of funding and resources into Next Gen. I would prefer that perhaps this project be scaled back some (as so many others have been in the past), and WDW be given some additional rides and attractions for people to enjoy, rather than focusing time on virtual planning for the ones in place.

Translation: "I will use every attempt to complain about the things I want even when it's completely off topic. Everything is about me, me, me."

This is like little kids complaining about money being spent on roads and bridges when it could be spend on ice cream for everybody.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Translation: "I will use every attempt to complain about the things I want even when it's completely off topic. Everything is about me, me, me."

This is like little kids complaining about money being spent on roads and bridges when it could be spend on ice cream for everybody.

Yeah, that's definitely what my message conveyed.....

Actually, it wasn't, but since you don't read the posts you respond to anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom