PHOTO - NextGen RFID entry system installed at the Haunted Mansion

tdpolo26

Terrific. Now I can pay top dollar for my daughter to play with her iPod at a Disney park instead of playing with it on our couch. Maybe they can shut down all the attractions and just put in a bunch of XBoxes next.
obviously you missed the point of the my post. i dont think that playing on the ipod is really the need for wifi nor do i think the email is. Its nice for people from outside the states to be able to use the disney apps (not just the disney owned apps) to check wait times and display park maps. the ipod touch think i spoke of was so that they can use them as maps and for disney apps. Also I think the MDE app they just came out with will have all the dining and stuff built in for a reminder system. I never said the words play games or anything like that i meant it as a tool for the parks

lebeau

obviously you missed the point of the my post. i dont think that playing on the ipod is really the need for wifi nor do i think the email is. Its nice for people from outside the states to be able to use the disney apps (not just the disney owned apps) to check wait times and display park maps. the ipod touch think i spoke of was so that they can use them as maps and for disney apps. Also I think the MDE app they just came out with will have all the dining and stuff built in for a reminder system. I never said the words play games or anything like that i meant it as a tool for the parks

The parks have been around a long time without requiring mobile devices, apps or wi-fi.

tdpolo26

The parks have been around a long time without requiring mobile devices, apps or wi-fi.
So we cant move forward a bit???? besides people on this board i bet 80 percent of guests enjoy a well tuned app and internet to use it on. i myself didnt use it a ton but that was with old slow phones and very buggy software cant wait to try it now!
Progress is going to happen no matter if you like the change or not... its a digital world and disney is just keeping pace. If you dont like the direction dont use the wifi or apps and as for other people checking there email and other stuff in the park i could care less i dont let it bother me at all.. Id say dont worry about what others are doing just enjoy your vacation in which ever way you like most.

JWG

You really perfer paperless FP over new e-tickets?

This is a loaded question. It's like asking if I really want another meet & greet over a new attraction, or another restaurant over a new attaction or if landscaping and grounds work is more imporant to me than a new attraction.

I look at the total experience. To me, it's not just about attractions (I can go on roller coasters and spinners and themed attractions for a lot cheaper than Disney). So, do I think this RFID work and new FP system is "prefered" over a new attraction? I guess, yes, I do. As I think both are important to the growth of the experience.

I think it would be crazy if we were still actually using A-E tickes by attraction like it was 1975. I think it's also crazy to think the FP system is going to go unchanged from it's implementation in 1999. I look forward to carrying one item through the park for everything; ticket media, room access, charging, ADR's and reminders (DDP or TiW if applicable), FP, etc. Once everything goes RFID and all of my information stored in multiple places can be combinded - then that one bracelet, key fob, phone app, whatever will be all I need to enjoy my vacation.

You can't focus on only one thing. Attractions and e-tickets are important (as are C and D ticketrs so-to-speak). But so are maintaining the existing infrastructure, resorts, restaurants, non-attraction entertainment, technology, etc.

E

Engenie

I don't think anyone here is anti-innovation. We want improvements to the infrastucture. But Disney has put the cart before the horse by prioritizing the infrastructure over the parks they are meant to support.

You really perfer paperless FP over new e-tickets?

I hate to sound argumentative... but that's actually how it exactly should be. You can expand and grow without an existing infrastructure, but it will be an absolute nightmare to maintain back of the house which would carry over to the front of house and people will complain over an inferior product right off the bat. Once the kinks are worked out I'm sure you'll see a lot of investment back in the parks in the future. Its just a tough see-saw, spend resources now for no front of house improvements and appear to be stagnant, or spend lots of money on razzle dazzle that doesn't last. I'm wagering their betting the heavy infrastructure tactic will pay massive dividens when all is said and done, which is a more sustainable philosophy.

lebeau

So we cant move forward a bit???? besides people on this board i bet 80 percent of guests enjoy a well tuned app and internet to use it on. i myself didnt use it a ton but that was with old slow phones and very buggy software cant wait to try it now!
Progress is going to happen no matter if you like the change or not... its a digital world and disney i just keeping pace. If you dont like the direction dont use the wifi or apps and as for other people checking there email and other stuff in the park i could care less i dont let it bother me at all.. Id say dont worry about what others are doing just enjoy your vacation in which ever way you like most.

Progress is good. I wouldn't be complaining about this stuff at all, but it's not happening in a vaccuum. Disney won't approve spending on much needed new attractions or maintenance, but they are breaking the bank on this.

This is progress in the sense that it is more advanced technology. But overall, I don't see the parks moving forward. I see them slipping back.

lebeau

This is a loaded question. It's like asking if I really want another meet & greet over a new attraction, or another restaurant over a new attaction or if landscaping and grounds work is more imporant to me than a new attraction.

I look at the total experience. To me, it's not just about attractions (I can go on roller coasters and spinners and themed attractions for a lot cheaper than Disney). So, do I think this RFID work and new FP system is "prefered" over a new attraction? I guess, yes, I do. As I think both are important to the growth of the experience.

I think it would be crazy if we were still actually using A-E tickes by attraction like it was 1975. I think it's also crazy to think the FP system is going to go unchanged from it's implementation in 1999. I look forward to carrying one item through the park for everything; ticket media, room access, charging, ADR's and reminders (DDP or TiW if applicable), FP, etc. Once everything goes RFID and all of my information stored in multiple places can be combinded - then that one bracelet, key fob, phone app, whatever will be all I need to enjoy my vacation.

You can't focus on only one thing. Attractions and e-tickets are important (as are C and D ticketrs so-to-speak). But so are maintaining the existing infrastructure, resorts, restaurants, non-attraction entertainment, technology, etc.

But Disney is focusing on this Next Gen cr... stuff at the expense of attractions (C through E) and maintenance. That's the problem.

I don't object to RFID per se. But I do object to it being the focus of Disney's strategy.

lebeau

I hate to sound argumentative... but that's actually how it exactly should be. You can expand and grow without an existing infrastructure, but it will be an absolute nightmare to maintain back of the house which would carry over to the front of house and people will complain over an inferior product right off the bat. Once the kinks are worked out I'm sure you'll see a lot of investment back in the parks in the future. Its just a tough see-saw, spend resources now for no front of house improvements and appear to be stagnant, or spend lots of money on razzle dazzle that doesn't last. I'm wagering their betting the heavy infrastructure tactic will pay massive dividens when all is said and done, which is a more sustainable philosophy.

What inferior product? Paper FastPasses?

Yes, Disney should maintain their infrastructure. By that, I am referring to their monorail system which is far more important to the operation of the parks than virtual FastPasses.

rioriz

Speaking of infrastructure maybe it will ease TDO's mind to know that they didn't let WDW get to the state it is on their own, somebody else made that happen! ;)

RSoxNo1

Smart phone integration is a good idea. Some of the changes going along with it are not.
  • Enforcing the return window
  • Scheduling Fastpasses days in advance
  • Expanded usage of Fastpass to attractions that don't always need it
If the three bullet points above were non-factors my only beef with the changes would be that I no longer get to collect Fastpasses. I'm not so jaded to realize that an electronic process is an improvement over my weird fascination. More importantly, my fascination with the business operations probably supercedes the level of nerdiness associated with collecting the paper Fastpasses.

Here is what I want out of Next Gen for Fastpass+:
  • Ability to scan my ticket and everyone in my party's ticket into my phone
  • Ability to reserve Fastpasses from my phone or if I don't have a smart phone, continued ability to either acquire paper fastpasses or reserve reservations attached to my ticket through kiosks in the park
  • Expanded Fastpass usage only on days when necessary
  • No change to the distribution windows of Fastpass, Fastpasses can only be acquired same day.
Other things that seem to be in the cards:
  • Dining Reservations at Table Service locations. I'd like this even better if the primo locations had more availability, and we can also cancel the signature/character locations from the app so we're not burnt on the $10 fee
  • Ordering food at counter service locations from the app

ExtinctJenn

Progress is good. I wouldn't be complaining about this stuff at all, but it's not happening in a vaccuum. Disney won't approve spending on much needed new attractions or maintenance, but they are breaking the bank on this.
I have to ask out of serious curiosity (i.e. I swear I'm not trying to be a smartass) but why does everyone keep saying they won't approve spending on much needed new attractions or maintenance? Do you have the inside scoop to see where they have written up project plans and then they were turned down due to funding? I am completely confused by statements like this just because they are spending millions on a ton of new attractions in Fantasyland, a whole new Test Track, a whole new land at AK (like it or not LOL), doing maintenance on each Mainstreet facade, the same in Fantasyland... I mean the list of everything they are doing right now and spending money on as far as "new attractions" and "maintenance" are concerned is mind boggling. I guess I just don't get why I keep seeing comments that they aren't spending money where they need to and are wasting money on things like a new network infrastructure and new technology to improve the overall guest experience.

Again, I'm asking seriously because I have to be missing the obvious somewhere.

I don't like the fact that I can't see the wait times on the list of attractions and instead I have to bring up the map.
Are you talking about in the new app? Once I signed in when I click the "Explore" icon at the bottom it immediately takes me to a list of wait times as well as FP times.

RSoxNo1

I have to ask out of serious curiosity (i.e. I swear I'm not trying to be a smartass) but why does everyone keep saying they won't approve spending on much needed new attractions or maintenance? Do you have the inside scoop to see where they have written up project plans and then they were turned down due to funding? I am completely confused by statements like this just because they are spending millions on a ton of new attractions in Fantasyland, a whole new Test Track, a whole new land at AK (like it or not LOL), doing maintenance on each Mainstreet facade, the same in Fantasyland... I mean the list of everything they are doing right now and spending money on as far as "new attractions" and "maintenance" are concerned is mind boggling. I guess I just don't get why I keep seeing comments that they aren't spending money where they need to and are wasting money on things like a new network infrastructure and new technology to improve the overall guest experience.

Again, I'm asking seriously because I have to be missing the obvious somewhere.

Are you talking about in the new app? Once I signed in when I click the "Explore" icon at the bottom it immediately takes me to a list of wait times as well as FP times.
The complaints are a function of us seeing things that are broken in the parks. Take a look here to see what we're talking about:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/disney-giveth-and-disney-taketh-away.841422/

flynnibus

Premium Member
I have to ask out of serious curiosity (i.e. I swear I'm not trying to be a smartass) but why does everyone keep saying they won't approve spending on much needed new attractions or maintenance? Do you have the inside scoop to see where they have written up project plans and then they were turned down due to funding?

Because it's not just fans that see the problems - it's the people that work there.. whose job it is to monitor it, report it, and the jobs of those who are there to fix it, who must get funding necessary to do their job. And that funding comes from those that make the decisions, and they know what the funding is for, yet opt to not fund those needs.

It's not that the workers of WDW are oblivious to the breakages - it's that the company is not investing what it takes to maintain the park to the very standards they set themselves.

ExtinctJenn

The complaints are a function of us seeing things that are broken in the parks. Take a look here to see what we're talking about:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/disney-giveth-and-disney-taketh-away.841422/
Because it's not just fans that see the problems - it's the people that work there.. whose job it is to monitor it, report it, and the jobs of those who are there to fix it, who must get funding necessary to do their job. And that funding comes from those that make the decisions, and they know what the funding is for, yet opt to not fund those needs.

It's not that the workers of WDW are oblivious to the breakages - it's that the company is not investing what it takes to maintain the park to the very standards they set themselves.

I still don't understand how they aren't investing what it takes to maintain the parks. I see photo after photo posted to this site of the work going on all across property. They can only do so much at once right? That's true of any company. I'm a project manager for one of the biggest banks in the country. We have huge lists of things we want to do to improve our customer experience but we only have so much we can budget for and fit in each quarter. It takes time to get everything done and when you have a project the size of the FLE in addition to all the other things they are doing across property, some of the other stuff just has to be pushed out to a future "release."

flynnibus

Premium Member
I still don't understand how they aren't investing what it takes to maintain the parks. I see photo after photo posted to this site of the work going on all across property. They can only do so much at once right?

They can do far more at once - they have proved it themselves. You keep forgetting the standard we are holding Disney to is its VERY OWN.

You also do not take into account the business practices that lead to this situation. The reduction in maintenance staff, the removal of dedicated crews, etc. This is all covered in books on Disney. This is not 'overwhelmed' - this is 'reduction in capacity because we feel this is good enough'.

Cybercat

Banned
Can we have a few threads about changes at WDW that don't boil down, "Wahhhhh! I want my e-ticket! Wahhhhhh! E-ticket now! Wahhhhhh!"

ExtinctJenn

They can do far more at once - they have proved it themselves. You keep forgetting the standard we are holding Disney to is its VERY OWN.

You also do not take into account the business practices that lead to this situation. The reduction in maintenance staff, the removal of dedicated crews, etc. This is all covered in books on Disney. This is not 'overwhelmed' - this is 'reduction in capacity because we feel this is good enough'.
Yep for awhile there things were bad but to me it seems like they are coming back full force. It's kind of like how people tend to blame whichever president is in office for not fixing things the previous president screwed up quickly enough. It takes awhile to see a change put into action. But OMG let's not get onto the political topic... I can't even imagine. LOL!

I still don't see at all how they can/should be doing far more at once. If they closed down any other attractions for maintenance or refurbishment there'd be nothing left to ride!

But I digress... I guess it all comes down to personal opinion and I am just personally amazed at everything they have going on right now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom