Expedition Everest: No strobe on Yeti

TrojanUSC

Yes, everyone, I saw it in A-mode. And like I said, it didn't impact me in the same way that Dinosaur's carnotaurus does. It was a cool effect, but it never made me feel in danger. The ride has other qualities that I enjoy far more than A-mode yeti ever impressed me.

I actually agree. Working there, I had heard so much about the Yeti - how it had all these impressive stats. I was prepared to be blown away. Alas, the whole show scene is just too quick for me. They should have paused the vehicle briefly, let it claw down at you and then you speed up just in the nick of time. The "B" mode is even more unacceptable, but in its natural "A" mode I never thought the effect reached its potential.

Part of the thing with the carno is that you sort of slow down, then it chases you. Then you see it again and pause for a picture. Both those instances are at least twice as long as you see the Yeti for.

I feel like a lot of the newer commenters here (not all of them), have heard so much about "A" mode that it's become something of a epic legend and described as something far more impressive than it was.

DonaldDoleWhip

I actually agree. Working there, I had heard so much about the Yeti - how it had all these impressive stats. I was prepared to be blown away. Alas, the whole show scene is just too quick for me. They should have paused the car briefly, let it claw down at you and then speed the car up just in the nick of time. The "B" mode is even more unacceptable, but in its natural "A" mode I never thought the effect reached its potential.

I feel like a lot of the newer commenters here (not all of them), have heard so much about "A" mode that it's become something of a epic legend and described as something far more impressive than it was.
That's definitely a strong possibility - the myth of the yeti really has taken on a life of its own, even though A-mode hasn't been used regularly for years. And also, I agree with your idea that a pause would truly help that part. It certainly helps on Dinosaur, where you're forced to listen to the carno's intense roar while you helplessly sit in a supposedly malfunctioning vehicle.

Kamikaze

Non-moving Yeti is cooler than non-moving Carno, but Carno roaring and moving towards you while the surroundings are pitch black makes much more of an impact on me than moving Yeti ever did.

I went on CTE before the park opened. When EVERYTHING worked. Even the smoke at the beginning. And it sucked. Still sucks, will always suck. Carno (and all the other dinos) are obviously fake dinos with unrealistic looking skin.
I didn't ride Everest until a while after it opened, but luckily the Yeti still worked. It is, without a doubt, the most realistic, impressive animatronic ever built.

devoy1701

I'm now thinking that the myth that is being spoken of is Disney-planted and the message is that the Yeti wasn't as good as everyone seems to remember so we're really not missing out on much. Why the heck are we all complaining anyway?

DonaldDoleWhip

I went on CTE before the park opened. When EVERYTHING worked. Even the smoke at the beginning. And it sucked. Still sucks, will always suck. Carno (and all the other dinos) are obviously fake dinos with unrealistic looking skin.
I didn't ride Everest until a while after it opened, but luckily the Yeti still worked. It is, without a doubt, the most realistic, impressive animatronic ever built.
Opinion. I agree that Dinosaur isn't the best ride overall, however the Carno terrified me much more than the yeti. That's all there is to it - both animatronics are big and powerful-looking. But combine the carno with the dark atmosphere and crazy volume levels, and it made a much bigger impact.

DonaldDoleWhip

I'm now thinking that the myth that is being spoken of is Disney-planted and the message is that the Yeti wasn't as good as everyone seems to remember so we're really not missing out on much. Why the heck are we all complaining anyway?
Nobody said that - reread the post I quoted. He pointed out that a lot of people probably haven't experienced A-mode, but heard about it and subsequently assumed it was the greatest thing ever (without experiencing it). Obviously, plenty here did experience it - some loved it, others didn't. But the fact is, many people probably think it was the most amazing thing ever, even if they didn't experience it themselves (and on the other end of the spectrum, many people who never saw it don't know about it at all, and still enjoy the attraction).

lebeau

Opinion. I agree that Dinosaur isn't the best ride overall, however the Carno terrified me much more than the yeti. That's all there is to it - both animatronics are big and powerful-looking. But combine the carno with the dark atmosphere and crazy volume levels, and it made a much bigger impact.

I have only been on Dino once. It is also the only ride photo we have ever purchased. My eyes are pretty wide. My expression says, "Whoa, that's pretty cool." But my wife is clutching my arm for dear life. So I will agree that it is an impressive, scary effect.

Although, to put things in perspective, the woman dislikes Raiders of the Lost Ark. So her opinion is not to be trusted.*

*She also watches The Real Housewives of <fill in the blank> I'm just sayin'.

DonaldDoleWhip

I have only been on Dino once. It is also the only ride photo we have ever purchased. My eyes are pretty wide. My expression says, "Whoa, that's pretty cool." But my wife is clutching my arm for dear life. So I will agree that it is an impressive, scary effect.

Although, to put things in perspective, the woman dislikes Raiders of the Lost Ark. So her opinion is not to be trusted.*

*She also watches The Real Housewives of <fill in the blank> I'm just sayin'.
Wow, that last statement proves her opinion can't be trusted. :ROFLOL:

I wonder what the EE photos would be like if the cameras were at the end of the ride (during the yeti scene) instead of at the drop. I honestly think the pictures would be pretty lame (just like at MK's Space Mountain).

*And Temple of Doom is my favorite Indy movie, so I guess my opinion can't be trusted either (although I haven't seen either Raiders or Temple of Doom in years) :lookaroun

lebeau

Wow, that last statement proves her opinion can't be trusted. :ROFLOL:

I wonder what the EE photos would be like if the cameras were at the end of the ride (during the yeti scene) instead of at the drop. I honestly think the pictures would be pretty lame (just like at MK's Space Mountain).

*And Temple of Doom is my favorite Indy movie, so I guess my opinion can't be trusted either (although I haven't seen either Raiders or Temple of Doom in years) :lookaroun

At the risk of thread drift, you're probably right. The ride pictures would be pretty lame. You're moving way too fast. I'd like to see pictures of people's faces after they get off the ride and someone asks if they saw the yeti. :confused:

While Temple is far from my favorite Indy adventure, I give it props for daring to be different from the original. The good parts are really good. Too bad about Kate Capshaw though.

In general, if I see a commercial or a trailer and think "Good lord, that looks awful!" I can count on my wife to say, "We should see that!" She also DVRs Dr. Phil. :eek:

Rowdy

I agree.

I actually rode Everest a lot when the Yeti was working. Somehow, I don't miss it. It wasn't THAT impressive, in my opinion.

PS, I always thought it looked more like a wave, than a grab anyway.

pax_65

Wait! Only now do I see the true genius in Disney's planning for this attraction. Folks, it was all done by design. They had the amazing Yeti in A-mode for a time, and then took him away. For a time you got glimpses mired in bright light and shadows... but then they take him away entirely.

Now he has become a LEGEND, spoken about in hushed whispers (or sarcastic narratives) in mountain chalets and Internet fan sites.

Just like Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster, the A-Mode Yeti is now nothing more than a legend... stories told by older travelers to wide-eyed kids who wonder "what if" and hope to see a glimpse of him for themselves someday.

:lookaroun

JimboJones123

+1 for A-mode Yeti OVERRATED!

Maybe it all comes down to merchandise sales slowing since NONE FEATURES THE YETI! IT ALL HAS THE ABOMINABLE SNOWMAN FROM THE MATTERHORN! If you hide the Yeti, more people will be willing to buy the wrong merchandise.

Tom Morrow

Everyone who says its a bad or ruined ride without A Mode Yeti... really? Is that why it continues to be the most popular attraction in the park? Is that why every train comes back full of cheering, smiling, satisfied guests?

ctxak98

There are a lot of people that Miss the Yeti and wish it was still in A-mode. I will admit I am one of them. Was the yeti amazing...without a doubt. Was the show scene too fast? yes. I always thought you couldnt appreciate the yeti too much cuz it went by so fats but when you saw it it was real. NOW you cannot say EE is the best ride ever and the yeti was amazing and then say DINOSAUR is the worst ride with the fakest dinos ever....how do you know? when was the last time you saw a real dinosaur? Go on jurassic Park in UNI and then see which dinos look fake. THAT carnotaurus that chases you Is in my opinion the scariest, coolest, most real looking AA disney has ever created(when it works). I think all the dinosaurs are cool and still work farely well its just the surroundings and special effects that bring the ride down to this day. Easily both of these attractions are in the top 10 for disneyworld. For me its just a matter of being mad because both of these rides are NOT getting any LOVE!:shrug:

Donald96

I LOVE Dinosaur and EE, they are deffinatley in my top 10! However, I think having an A mode yeti would deffinatley bolster EE up higher in my list. And Dinosaur just needs like a short month of loving to update it (mainly those doors that open to the time travel room!) and it'd be perfect! Gosh I love Animal Kingdom! Now if Beastly Kingdom did open, lets just say I'd have a new favorite park! (My current is Magic Kingdom, who doesn't love that one?)

ctxak98

I LOVE Dinosaur and EE, they are deffinatley in my top 10! However, I think having an A mode yeti would deffinatley bolster EE up higher in my list. And Dinosaur just needs like a short month of loving to update it (mainly those doors that open to the time travel room!) and it'd be perfect! Gosh I love Animal Kingdom! Now if Beastly Kingdom did open, lets just say I'd have a new favorite park! (My current is Magic Kingdom, who doesn't love that one?)

I agree with you. I am sick of all the negative talk. I know that there is always going to be but its just frustrating. I agree that these fixes are necassary!!!:)

kev24135

Yeti Watch The mood is tense; I have been on some serious, serious reports but nothing quite like this. I uh... Ching... King is inside everest right now. I tried to get an interview with him, but disney said no, you can't do that he's a live yeti, he will literally rip your face off

I'll report back to you guys if i get anymore info

Imagineer6

Funny how the first actual "rumor" about how the Yeti didn't work was what is true up to today, yet everyone gets mixed up and start believing different things. I have a feeling Disney's gonna start drawing crowds away from Asia with Avatar, or at least they'll try. Once all this has blown over, I'm looking at the Studios for the next big move.

KevinYee

What is this yeti you speak of?

Was it there before the ride officially opened, and its head would disappear only to reappear inside a box it was carrying?

Dads 2 Boys

First off, can someone please answer the earlier poster about what the heck is the deal with the wet walkway?

Also, I saw the Yeti in A-mode and it was spectacular and I've been on it multiple times since. While it is a little sad it does not bring my vacation down at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom