Expedition Everest: No strobe on Yeti

I completely disagree, as does every member of my family. The yeti in A-mode is one of the most impressive features in all of WDW, much more than anything on Dinosaur--the land of fake, rubber lizards being illuminated by flashlights.

Without the yeti, the ride makes little sense and, while still an enjoyable roller coaster, becomes just another passable attraction.

I guess I'm glad that the thing is covered by a tarp, but boy do I hope they're finally going to do something about that embarrassment after five years.

I agree! I was so fortunate to see the Yeti in A mode and he was so cool! I ducked when his hand flew towards me.

Although the yeti doesn't work right, EE is still one of my favorite rides in WDW, just because it's so much fun. We ride it 3-4 times per trip and always have a good time.

Last spring break the Yeti was covered when we were there. We asked a CM where he was and she just smiled and said "The Yeti needs a vacation too!" and we were like, "yeah sure, but what's really going on?".

I hope he gets fixed soon, but in disco mode I still love EE.

pax_65

Are you sure you rode in in "A" mode and not "B" mode (where he wiggle wiggle wiggles a bit but doesn't make a full lung towards the car)?

This is what I was wondering too. While everyone is entitled to their opinion, I honestly can't see how the Yeti would fail to make a dramatic impression on someone when he's working properly.

I've been to a lot of amusement parks, ridden a lot of rides. I'm pretty cynical and jaded and it takes a lot to impress me. The Yeti was the single most impressive audio animatronic I've ever seen. Mostly because he's just so... HUGE!

It's a shame that so many people have never experienced A mode, so they don't even know what all the fuss is about. I honestly think this contributes to the problem. If more people knew about it and complained about it, there would be more pressure on Disney to fix it.

We go to WDW at least once a year. My son is 11, tall for his age, and has never experienced A mode in his lifetime. By the time he was tall enough to ride, the Yeti was already broken.

I know we've talked about it before, but when was the last time the Yeti was working properly for any significant length of time? Many years, to be sure...

Tom Morrow

Are you sure you rode in in "A" mode and not "B" mode (where he wiggle wiggle wiggles a bit but doesn't make a full lung towards the car)? When that Yeti actual makes that 6 ft (or whatever it is) lung towards the coaster and kind of swoops his hand down, it is pretty remarkable.
Wait, I'm confused. Was there a "reduced movement" A mode? As far as I know, there was only ever full A mode and "disco" B mode.

DonaldDoleWhip

Yes, everyone, I saw it in A-mode. And like I said, it didn't impact me in the same way that Dinosaur's carnotaurus does. It was a cool effect, but it never made me feel in danger. The ride has other qualities that I enjoy far more than A-mode yeti ever impressed me.

devoy1701

Yes, everyone, I saw it in A-mode. And like I said, it didn't impact me in the same way that Dinosaur's carnotaurus does. It was a cool effect, but it never made me feel in danger. The ride has other qualities that I enjoy far more than A-mode yeti ever impressed me.

which is exactly why I have a had time believing that you saw true A-mode and all of its capable glory.

What on that ride is possible more enjoyable than full A-mode yeti? It can't possibly be rushing backwards through almost pitchblack but not quite unthemed inner mountain where you can see the steel and paper mache-like inner structure ? :shrug:

DonaldDoleWhip

which is exactly why I have a had time believing that you saw true A-mode and all of its capable glory.

What on that ride is possible more enjoyable than full A-mode yeti? It can't possibly be rushing backwards through almost pitchblack but not quite unthemed inner mountain where you can see the steel and paper mache-like inner structure ? :shrug:
How about the detailed queue, beautiful views during the main lift and before dropping backwards, incredible rockwork, unique sensation of the backwards portion, a significant drop (for a Disney ride), and then some fun tricks at the end. Plus a giant yeti roaring at you, albeit motionless. It's not all or nothing - the ride still has plenty of awesome qualities, the yeti is still there, and people still love it.

I have nothing to prove to you, and I know what I saw - the yeti looks toward you and its body turns as if it's noticing the train, then it lunges forward and takes a swipe at you. Cool, but like I said, it was far enough away that I never felt any excitement from it. The carnotaurus is much more of a "holy cow, it's about to rip my head off" moment, whereas the yeti didn't do much for me. Considering how other people have agreed with me ("cool, but not my favorite thing ever"), you might as well accept the fact that not everyone who saw A-mode yeti completely worships it (just like I accept the fact that it was a big deal to you and others here).

devoy1701

How about the detailed queue, beautiful views during the main lift and before dropping backwards, incredible rockwork, unique sensation of the backwards portion, a significant drop (for a Disney ride), and then some fun tricks at the end. Plus a giant yeti roaring at you, albeit motionless. It's not all or nothing - the ride still has plenty of awesome qualities, the yeti is still there, and people still love it.

I have nothing to prove to you, and I know what I saw - the yeti looks toward you and its body turns as if it's noticing the train, then it lunges forward and takes a swipe at you. Cool, but like I said, it was far enough away that I never felt any excitement from it. The carnotaurus is much more of a "holy cow, it's about to rip my head off" moment, whereas the yeti didn't do much for me. Considering how other people have agreed with me ("cool, but not my favorite thing ever"), you might as well accept the fact that not everyone who saw A-mode yeti completely worships it (just like I accept the fact that it was a big deal to you and others here).

I saw one person agree with you and one person say they like the ride even with the Yeti not working.

Yup...guess I should just accept the fact.

DonaldDoleWhip

I saw one person agree with you and one person say they like the ride even with the Yeti not working.

Yup...guess I should just accept the fact.
The sarcasm isn't appreciated. What's so hard about respecting someone's opinion? You don't have to agree with it, but there's something seriously wrong with you if you can't accept that this discussion isn't one-sided.

pax_65

The sarcasm isn't appreciated. What's so hard about respecting someone's opinion? You don't have to agree with it, but there's something seriously wrong with you if you can't accept that this discussion isn't one-sided.

I respect your opinion, even though I really don't understand it.

Here's the frustrating part. In terms of sheer numbers, here's what people would say on this topic:

1. "What? The Yeti is broken? I had no idea."
2. "Yeah, I heard the Yeti used to do something else but that's ok, I still like the ride."
3. "The Yeti doesn't have to be in "A mode" for me to enjoy the ride" (your position)
4. "Disney should be ashamed to keep an attraction like this open with its signature element broken. Walt Disney would never have permitted this. The ride is nowhere near the same without the Yeti fully functional." (my position)

Because the vast majority is either unaware of the problem or doesn't really care about it, there isn't the public outcry there should be (IMHO) to hold Disney to the high standards that they themselves established and used to maintain in years past.

I find that frustrating and I worry what it means for the future of WDW.

devoy1701

ok. I will conceed that a very small minority of people who have (or may have) seen the Yeti in A-mode might not think it is that great. I wager that if you truly did see it in A-Mode that it's been so long since you have that you don't remember it, but I don't really want to get into that.

However, it's a pretty unanimously understood by people inside the company and outside of the company that E:E is a much better attraction and a wholely different experience when the Yeti is operating in A-Mode then with C-Mode/Disco Yeti or No-Yeti. It's a ride/attraction lacking it's climax right now (and IMO it is nothing more than a steel rollercoast that goes backwards at this point...and Six Flags Atlanta has a coaster that does that even better). Plain and simple. If you don't agree that is fine, but that is definitely a minority opinion for those who remember.

DonaldDoleWhip

I respect your opinion, even though I really don't understand it.

Here's the frustrating part. In terms of sheer numbers, here's what people would say on this topic:

1. "What? The Yeti is broken? I had no idea."
2. "Yeah, I heard the Yeti used to do something else but that's ok, I still like the ride."
3. "The Yeti doesn't have to be in "A mode" for me to enjoy the ride" (your position)
4. "Disney should be ashamed to keep an attraction like this open with its signature element broken. Walt Disney would never have permitted this. The ride is nowhere near the same without the Yeti fully functional." (my position)

Because the vast majority is either unaware of the problem or doesn't really care about it, there isn't the public outcry there should be (IMHO) to hold Disney to the high standards that they themselves established and used to maintain in years past.

I find that frustrating and I worry what it means for the future of WDW.
ok. I will conceed that a very small minority of people who have (or may have) seen the Yeti in A-mode might not think it is that great. I wager that if you truly did see it in A-Mode that it's been so long since you have that you don't remember it, but I don't really want to get into that.

However, it's a pretty unanimously understood by people inside the company and outside of the company that E:E is a much better attraction and a wholely different experience when the Yeti is operating in A-Mode then with C-Mode/Disco Yeti or No-Yeti. It's a ride/attraction lacking it's climax right now (and IMO it is nothing more than a steel rollercoast that goes backwards at this point...and Six Flags Atlanta has a coaster that does that even better). Plain and simple. If you don't agree that is fine, but that is definitely a minority opinion for those who remember.
I don't disagree that a working yeti would make EE a better, more complete attraction. It's just personally, it doesn't matter that much to me. And plenty of people still love EE as it is now, hence its continued popularity (although, as you point out, a lot of these people never saw A-mode and thus don't know what they're missing, and never could formulate their own opinion on the various yeti modes).

And again, I know I saw the yeti in A-mode, and your skepticism is really irritating (although intentional). I don't remember exactly what happened (I described my memory above), but I remember my feelings. Basically I thought, "Hmm, the yeti was cool," but I felt much more excited about the backwards part, and much more scared on Dinosaur.

And I think the claim that EE "is nothing more than a steel rollercoast that goes backwards at this point" is too extreme. I've been to Six Flags in New Jersey and gone on some pretty intense roller coasters (El Toro, Nitro, etc). They were very fun, but I actually like EE and Rock n' Roller Coaster more, because although they're less intense, they have cool themes from start to finish that make the experience something more. EE really succeeds in briefly transporting you to the Himalayas - the queue, the sound effects, the artwork, etc. The views during the lift and at the top of the mountain are incredible. The ride is still one of WDW's best, IMO, and I don't need a moving yeti to enjoy it.

Captain Chaos

I don't disagree that a working yeti would make EE a better, more complete attraction. It's just personally, it doesn't matter that much to me. And plenty of people still love EE as it is now, hence its continued popularity (although, as you point out, a lot of these people never saw A-mode and thus don't know what they're missing, and never could formulate their own opinion on the various yeti modes).

And again, I know I saw the yeti in A-mode, and your skepticism is really irritating (although intentional). I don't remember exactly what happened (I described my memory above), but I remember my feelings. Basically I thought, "Hmm, the yeti was cool," but I felt much more excited about the backwards part, and much more scared on Dinosaur.

And I think the claim that EE "is nothing more than a steel rollercoast that goes backwards at this point" is too extreme. I've been to Six Flags in New Jersey and gone on some pretty intense roller coasters (El Toro, Nitro, etc). They were very fun, but I actually like EE and Rock n' Roller Coaster more, because although they're less intense, they have cool themes from start to finish that make the experience something more. EE really succeeds in briefly transporting you to the Himalayas - the queue, the sound effects, the artwork, etc. The views during the lift and at the top of the mountain are incredible. The ride is still one of WDW's best, IMO, and I don't need a moving yeti to enjoy it.

Hey Nitro is the best coaster EVER , cause I said so.. :lol:

In all seriousness, I agree with ya Dole... Everest is still a fine ride despite a non-working yeti... it doesn't ruin the ride... I think the yeti not getting fixed is more of a reflection on management being a bunch of _______________ (fill in the blank with whatever word you choose, I prefer cheap idiots, but that's just me)... While a true A mode yeti would make Everest even more awesome, the ride isn't horrible because the yeti isn't working... Like I said, this is a reflection of a non-caring management team where profits trump show...

DonaldDoleWhip

Hey Nitro is the best coaster EVER , cause I said so.. :lol:

In all seriousness, I agree with ya Dole... Everest is still a fine ride despite a non-working yeti... it doesn't ruin the ride... I think the yeti not getting fixed is more of a reflection on management being a bunch of _______________ (fill in the blank with whatever word you choose, I prefer cheap idiots, but that's just me)... While a true A mode yeti would make Everest even more awesome, the ride isn't horrible because the yeti isn't working... Like I said, this is a reflection of a non-caring management team where profits trump show...
Nitro (and El Toro) are really cool - easily the scariest coasters I've been on. The nearly-minute-long lift on Nitro builds up the suspense, and both rides have a massive drop right at the start. They make EE look like a well-themed Barnstormer. I guess I prefer themes over screams :ROFLOL:

Agreed - the bottom line is that profits are more significant to management than maintaining perfection on each attraction. If it ever reaches a point where the negative publicity associated with the yeti starts cutting into the park's attendance (and revenue stream), I'd expect things to change rather quickly. Otherwise, I'm fine with the existing attraction (which I know is exactly what Disney likes to hear, but it's just how I feel).

lebeau

I have nothing to prove to you, and I know what I saw - the yeti looks toward you and its body turns as if it's noticing the train, then it lunges forward and takes a swipe at you. Cool, but like I said, it was far enough away that I never felt any excitement from it.

First, let me state that I'm not a tall guy. I rarely ever worry about banging me head on rides. Also, it's been a few years so please allow for my memory to be inaccurate. But it sure seemed to me like that thing missed me by mere inches. And it was so fast! I felt and heard a "swoosh" as the yeti's massive claw passed over my head.

It was nothing short of thrilling. And made what I considered to be an okay coaster into a top rate attraction. It's still an okay coaster witha cool queue. But it's not the same.

DonaldDoleWhip

First, let me state that I'm not a tall guy. I rarely ever worry about banging me head on rides. Also, it's been a few years so please allow for my memory to be inaccurate. But it sure seemed to me like that thing missed me by mere inches. And it was so fast! I felt and heard a "swoosh" as the yeti's massive claw passed over my head.

It was nothing short of thrilling. And made what I considered to be an okay coaster into a top rate attraction. It's still an okay coaster witha cool queue. But it's not the same.
Glad you liked the effect so much. It just never made the ride for me - everything else did.

Space Mountain is the only ride where I've worried about banging my head. Dinosaur is the only ride where I've recoiled due to an animatronic. Everest has lots of things going for it, but the yeti never was the most important one to me.

lebeau

Glad you liked the effect so much. It just never made the ride for me - everything else did.

Space Mountain is the only ride where I've worried about banging my head. Dinosaur is the only ride where I've recoiled due to an animatronic. Everest has lots of things going for it, but the yeti never was the most important one to me.

Obviously these things are a matter of opinion. But sometimes I have a hard time accepting certain opinions as they are so foreign to my own experience. For instance, I have a hard time with the idea that anyone could dislike Raiders of the Lost Ark. What's not to like? (For an answer, ask my wife.)

I'm having a similar reaction at the idea that the yeti in A-mode was anything less than amazing. The natural response is to assume that anyone voicing that opinion must not have seen the real deal. Because the yeti in A-mode was unlike any animatronic I have ever experienced.

Yeah, Dinosaur was good too. But nothing in there was in the same league with the yeti in A-mode (in my opinion obviously).

I guess I'm just going to have to accept the idea that you saw it in A-mode and were somehow underwhelmed. Although my natural reaction is something like this:

Inconceivable.jpg

Kamikaze

The carno to the A-Mode Yeti the is like comparing a fart to a tornado.

devoy1701

I was about to applaud Lebeau's delivery skills because of how elliquently and level-minded he was at responding...but then I saw your response and that applause went out the window. :lol:

DonaldDoleWhip

Obviously these things are a matter of opinion. But sometimes I have a hard time accepting certain opinions as they are so foreign to my own experience. For instance, I have a hard time with the idea that anyone could dislike Raiders of the Lost Ark. What's not to like? (For an answer, ask my wife.)

I'm having a similar reaction at the idea that the yeti in A-mode was anything less than amazing. The natural response is to assume that anyone voicing that opinion must not have seen the real deal. Because the yeti in A-mode was unlike any animatronic I have ever experienced.
Thank you for at least trying to understand. I know sometimes it's hard to accept a foreign opinion, especially when you feel so strongly about something. But that's what discussions are for :)

Non-moving Yeti is cooler than non-moving Carno, but Carno roaring and moving towards you while the surroundings are pitch black makes much more of an impact on me than moving Yeti ever did.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom