Expedition Everest: No strobe on Yeti

ctxak98

That was the point of it though. To catch a glimpse of this HUGE, groundbreaking aninatronic, but just a short glimpse....enough for you to go "OMG DID YOU JUST SEE THAT?!?!?" And make you want to ride it and experience it again. Just like the real myth of the Yeti...a short glimpse to make you question what you just saw... (not like today's Yeti where the question is if you saw it when you most likely did not. :dazzle:)[/QUOTE]

THANKYOU! This is what I have always thought and tried to explain. Its the build up and at the end its a moment of "woah was that real?" and then ride it again. To me it was the best part. Its like dinosaur without the carnotaur to take your picture and just hearing sounds coming from the trees and bushes....without it the ride does lack the importance and soon becomes nothing to do with any animal.:lookaroun

HM Spectre

Everyone who says its a bad or ruined ride without A Mode Yeti... really? Is that why it continues to be the most popular attraction in the park? Is that why every train comes back full of cheering, smiling, satisfied guests?

That's more of an indictment on DAK than anything else. When the big WOW factor in the feature attraction is gimped, yet people would still rather go on it than anything else, it shouldn't be a big surprise that people laugh at the notion of DAK as a whole day park.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
That's more of an indictment on DAK than anything else. When the big WOW factor in the feature attraction is gimped, yet people would still rather go on it than anything else, it shouldn't be a big surprise that people laugh at the notion of DAK as a whole day park.

I laugh at the notion that it's not a full day park.

Tom Morrow

Okay, yes, the yeti is a very impressive animatronic and is a cool sight when its working. But B mode does NOT RUIN THE RIDE! Nobody complained that the absence of falling rocks on BTM ruined it. This really isn't much different. Its primarily a roller coaster... its WDW's most intense roller coaster. The true main draw of the ride is the fact that it *is a rollercoaster *that goes both forward and backward. The Yeti, while impressive, is just icing on the cake.

TalkingHead

Okay, yes, the yeti is a very impressive animatronic and is a cool sight when its working. But B mode does NOT RUIN THE RIDE! Nobody complained that the absence of falling rocks on BTM ruined it. This really isn't much different. Its primarily a roller coaster... its WDW's most intense roller coaster. The true main draw of the ride is the fact that it *is a rollercoaster *that goes both forward and backward. The Yeti, while impressive, is just icing on the cake.

The main "character" of the ride is obviously more important to the ride experience than the supplemental effect of Big Thunder's falling rocks.

And if all this crap is icing on the cake, it sounds like Disney would be just as successful and would please "average" guests with off-the-shelf Six Flags-style coasters. Why bother with any of the theming?

Tom Morrow

Some of you act as though the Yeti not moving is akin to riding Star Tours with a blank screen. Its important, but it doesn't effect the RIDE *THAT*much.

Timekeeper

I would award "WDW's most intense roller coaster" to RnRC. I would not put "backwards" (especially when it's just a couple of circles with minimal incline) in the same category as tripple-looping indoor dark coaster with a accelerated launch.

pumpkin7

well, strobe yeti still scared the marbles out of me when i first rode! i remember actually trying to duck out of the way lol

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

Some of you act as though the Yeti not moving is akin to riding Star Tours with a blank screen. Its important, but it doesn't effect the RIDE *THAT*much.

Many of us have said that the pile of problems on BTMRR effectively ruined the ride. So you are wrong on that point.

EE is regularly functioning at a level far below show quality. The Yeti is just the most glaring problem.

As far as a thrilling roller coaster. EE ranks far below dozens of coasters in FL alone. It's main draw was its incredible theming.

pax_65

Great post above... what some people don't seem to understand is that Disney has always set a standard far above a typical amusement park. People are comparing the state of current Disney attractions to other amusement parks or to other current Disney attractions. I'm comparing current Disney attractions to how Disney has always maintained their attractions in the past.

By Disney standards, if a signature element of an attraction was down, the attraction itself would be taken down until the attraction could be made "show ready".

Keeping Everest running without the Yeti, Splash running without the AAs on the boat, or Thunder running without the rocks is not acceptable by the Disney standards we know and love.

IWant2GoNow

The ride, no. The story, a bit.

I think what some people are so frustrated with is Disney's (or whoever is responsible's) lack of upkeep and what this means for the future of WDW as a whole. It scares everyone into thinking that the "next big thing" will break and just be covered up and somewhat ignored as to even being a problem.

I'm not trying to speak for everyone, but I believe most are probably in the line of thinking that if it starts with the Yeti, and Dinosaur... where does it end? The Yeti has already made a snowball at the top of E:E and it could get really out of hand rolling down that mountain if someone doesn't come along and try to break it up, or knock it off course. But so far all attempts have been ignored or laughed off.

Bottom line: Take it out, replace or refix, end of story. If it's separate from everything else, and the guests really don't care that much if he's there or not, then just take it out and repair it and put it back. The attraction doesn't have to close for months, guests will still get their "coaster" the same as they are now, and then one day it will be back and the story portion can finally have it's surreal, eye-widening, Disney-pride, ending that very few of us were able to witness.

RSoxNo1

No, it's probably closer to riding Splash Mountain without any movement in the Riverboat scene.

freediverdude

That was the point of it though. To catch a glimpse of this HUGE, groundbreaking aninatronic, but just a short glimpse....enough for you to go "OMG DID YOU JUST SEE THAT?!?!?" And make you want to ride it and experience it again. Just like the real myth of the Yeti...a short glimpse to make you question what you just saw... (not like today's Yeti where the question is if you saw it when you most likely did not. :dazzle:)

THANKYOU! This is what I have always thought and tried to explain. Its the build up and at the end its a moment of "woah was that real?" and then ride it again. To me it was the best part. Its like dinosaur without the carnotaur to take your picture and just hearing sounds coming from the trees and bushes....without it the ride does lack the importance and soon becomes nothing to do with any animal.:lookaroun[/QUOTE]

In place of the Carnotaur, they could just put a big AA of Phylicia Rashad's head, saying "And just where did you think you were going??" :ROFLOL: Ah I am getting silly.

Alektronic

That was the point of it though. To catch a glimpse of this HUGE, groundbreaking aninatronic, but just a short glimpse....enough for you to go "OMG DID YOU JUST SEE THAT?!?!?" And make you want to ride it and experience it again. Just like the real myth of the Yeti...a short glimpse to make you question what you just saw... (not like today's Yeti where the question is if you saw it when you most likely did not. :dazzle:)

THANKYOU! This is what I have always thought and tried to explain. Its the build up and at the end its a moment of "woah was that real?" and then ride it again. To me it was the best part. Its like dinosaur without the carnotaur to take your picture and just hearing sounds coming from the trees and bushes....without it the ride does lack the importance and soon becomes nothing to do with any animal.:lookaroun

That has happened before also. They had problems with the picture Carno, and so they just turned off all the lights on him and when the Time Rovers arrived, people heard the audio and roaring but they couldn't see anything and then they took their photo. Those were some funny photos, everybody looking around like "What's Going On?".

Tom Morrow

EE is regularly functioning at a level far below show quality. The Yeti is just the most glaring problem.
Is it really? There really aren't that many effects on Everest:

- Audio
- Bird on stick
- shadow projection
- Yeti
- 2 waterfalls
- steam at load

Thats it, and Bird on a stick was tacky looking and I think the ride benefits without having it, and then aside from the Yeti, everything else is regularly working.

Soo, again, there are so many rides across WDW that I would consider to have worse show quality. Especially rides where the show effects ARE the ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom