Expedition Everest: No strobe on Yeti

TalkingHead

Very possible that they are at least doing something they don't want you to see. You dont just turn off a strobe light to save a few bucks; cause you wont.

I doubt they've turned off the strobe effect to save money. Seems far more likely that the strobe has broken and management/maintenance hasn't repaired it.

Management is probably thinking you don't, like, actually need to see the Yeti, anyway. That's the big surprise at the end -- you took a ride on the train to look for the Yeti and you didn't find him. The end. Exit through the gift shop. Have a magical day. :rolleyes:

stitch2008

I doubt they've turned off the strobe effect to save money. Seems far more likely that the strobe has broken and management/maintenance hasn't repaired it.

Management is probably thinking you don't, like, actually need to see the Yeti, anyway. That's the big surprise at the end -- you took a ride on the train to look for the Yeti and you didn't find him. The end. Exit through the gift shop. Have a magical day. :rolleyes:

No cause you see the strobe effect has been working for a while. And it's not like they don't want you to see the Yeti. They just want to hide the fact that it isn't moving as fast as it should.

Strobes can actually last a very long time; a very long time. And when they do burnout, they can replaced quite easily. Parks like Disney have major supplies of these things for whatever they need them for. And I seriously doubt management and maintenance are just not replacing them. Personally, I think that's just interpreting things to support the Anti-TDO idea. They aren't that cheap. Not cheap enough to not replace strobes. Sorry if that sounds snippy, but I really hate hearing people say "oh they don't maintain things, their lazy". That's cause I'm still basically scared from an incident at my current job not too long ago. We had an incident at a park where we didn't get a ride opened on time and had a very angry gentlemen yell at us that we were lazy and weren't doing out jobs right because I was sitting on the station floor drinking water while the others stood around me. Well it turns out that I was actually sitting down after being knocked off my feet and falling on to the tubular steel track from the maintenance steps; and was really close to falling about 175 feet down to the ground. I had my harness attached to the ride which kept me from falling and my two coworkers got me up. But there's still that fear you feel when your looking straight down 175 feet. So I apologize if I am biased towards maintenance workers.

In an attempt to take a photo with flash on I swear I saw a black scrim over the yeti

Very interesting.

NoChesterHester

They could be tired of the Disco Yeti complaints and just turned it off.

The Duck

In an attempt to take a photo with flash on I swear I saw a black scrim over the yeti

I remember reading here a while back that the yeti was covered for (presumed) maintenance. Lets give this a few more days or so and see if anything develops. BTW, Stitch2008's posts seem the most logical so far.

missy1972

I rode it twice yesterday and after the first ride, my son asked a cast member where the yeti was and she responded that he was at the spa having a few kinks worked out. I'm hoping that means that he has actually been removed and is being fixed or replaced.:)

DonaldDoleWhip

I rode it twice yesterday and after the first ride, my son asked a cast member where the yeti was and she responded that he was at the spa having a few kinks worked out. I'm hoping that means that he has actually been removed and is being fixed or replaced.:)
I like the CM's response. :) Hopefully there's some element of truth to this. I never really minded a non-moving yeti too much. But to not see anything at all during the climax (besides pitch black) is just pathetic, unless it's truly for maintenance purposes.

pax_65

The Yeti has been broken for so long now... for those who say it really doesn't matter or that it's just "2 seconds"... have you ever ridden the ride in true "A mode"?

The first time I rode it in "A mode", I literally ducked when the Yeti swiped at me and my daughter screamed in terror. It was one of the coolest things I had ever seen on a roller coaster, and it totally made the ride for me. We literally ran to ride it again and waited in a long standby line.

These days, some trips we don't ride it at all. And we would never wait in a line to ride it.

So YES... it makes a BIG difference!

DonaldDoleWhip

The Yeti has been broken for so long now... for those who say it really doesn't matter or that it's just "2 seconds"... have you ever ridden the ride in true "A mode"?

The first time I rode it in "A mode", I literally ducked when the Yeti swiped at me and my daughter screamed in terror. It was one of the coolest things I had ever seen on a roller coaster, and it totally made the ride for me. We literally ran to ride it again and waited in a long standby line.

These days, some trips we don't ride it at all. And we would never wait in a line to ride it.

So YES... it makes a BIG difference!
Yes, I have. I wasn't that impressed, and I can't believe they spent so much money on something that barely impacts the ride. The yeti's hand didn't even seem that close to me - there was no reason to recoil or be frightened (as there often is during Dinosaur).

If they're fixing it, I won't complain, as long as it isn't pitch black forever. It should at least be visible, even if it doesn't move.

docandsix

You're certainly entitled to your opinion.

Yes, I have. I wasn't that impressed, and I can't believe they spent so much money on something that barely impacts the ride. The yeti's hand didn't even seem that close to me - there was no reason to recoil or be frightened (as there often is during Dinosaur).

If they're fixing it, I won't complain, as long as it isn't pitch black forever. It should at least be visible, even if it doesn't move.

I completely disagree, as does every member of my family. The yeti in A-mode is one of the most impressive features in all of WDW, much more than anything on Dinosaur--the land of fake, rubber lizards being illuminated by flashlights.

Without the yeti, the ride makes little sense and, while still an enjoyable roller coaster, becomes just another passable attraction.

I guess I'm glad that the thing is covered by a tarp, but boy do I hope they're finally going to do something about that embarrassment after five years.

DonaldDoleWhip

I completely disagree, as does every member of my family. The yeti in A-mode is one of the most impressive features in all of WDW, much more than anything on Dinosaur--the land of fake, rubber lizards being illuminated by flashlights.

Without the yeti, the ride makes little sense and, while still an enjoyable roller coaster, becomes just another passable attraction.

I guess I'm glad that the thing is covered by a tarp, but boy do I hope they're finally going to do something about that embarrassment after five years.
You're entitled to your opinion as well. Clearly many people really care about the yeti working properly, evidenced by the enormous threads here. But, given how the attraction is still one of WDW's most popular, many people also enjoy the ride for the detailed queue, the themed elements such as the temple and twisted track, the unique backwards segment, large drop (relative to WDW's other coasters), etc. Like I said, the yeti always underwhelmed me, so as long as it's visible, I don't care that much whether its paw moves or not.

And I didn't say Dinosaur is more impressive. Clearly, the yeti received far more hype than any animatronic on Dinosaur. What I did say, though, was that Dinosaur's Carnotaurus was much more intimidating to me than the yeti. I've always felt 'safe' during EE's climax, whereas Dinosaur usually succeeds in terrifying many of its riders. With EE, lots of people could never even see the yeti.

devoy1701

Are you sure you rode in in "A" mode and not "B" mode (where he wiggle wiggle wiggles a bit but doesn't make a full lung towards the car)? When that Yeti actual makes that 6 ft (or whatever it is) lung towards the coaster and kind of swoops his hand down, it is pretty remarkable.

And I promise you that most every rider notices the Yeti when he is in "A" mode. He is lit up like an airport runway...you can't miss him, unlike when he's strobing...i can understand riders not seeing him when he's got that pathetic strobe light on him.

MansionGoer13z

You're entitled to your opinion as well. Clearly many people really care about the yeti working properly, evidenced by the enormous threads here. But, given how the attraction is still one of WDW's most popular, many people also enjoy the ride for the detailed queue, the themed elements such as the temple and twisted track, the unique backwards segment, large drop (relative to WDW's other coasters), etc. Like I said, the yeti always underwhelmed me, so as long as it's visible, I don't care that much whether its paw moves or not.

And I didn't say Dinosaur is more impressive. Clearly, the yeti received far more hype than any animatronic on Dinosaur. What I did say, though, was that Dinosaur's Carnotaurus was much more intimidating to me than the yeti. I've always felt 'safe' during EE's climax, whereas Dinosaur usually succeeds in terrifying many of its riders. With EE, lots of people could never even see the yeti.
Have to agree with you. I see the working A mode Yeti as a cool factor. Where as at Dino CTE, the Carnosaur as something that can scare the crap outta' ya' if you're caught off guard.

Tom Morrow

chiming in to say that I saw Yeti A-mode many times and it was cool, but not having it moving does not "break" the ride for me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom