Big changes coming to FASTPASS in March

Do you agree with the changes to the FASTPASS enforcement policy?

• Yes

Votes: 544 58.5%
  • No

Votes: 233 25.1%
  • I'm going to wait and see how it works

Votes: 153 16.5%

• Total voters

flynnibus

Premium Member
If even only 5% of guests return with the FP's later in the day than scheduled and these numbers compound throughout the day you will be loading the FP line with more guests late in the day then you did earlier in the morning. Thus the guest throughput on the SB line will be slowed as it is increased in the FP line since the FP line gets a higher priority.

The overall guest capacity per hour on the ride in most cases cannot change. Some rides to allow for extra ride vehicles to be added.

The problem does not compound through the day.

The simple feedback loop of the wait time itself prevents that. While ride capacity is fixed, how many people will get in line is NOT fixed. If 1000 people an hour are getting in line, but the ride can only handle 500, the line will not keep getting longer and longer as long as the ride is open. When the line gets to a point people are no longer willing to tolerate the wait, they skip the attraction and do something else - causing the previous constant inflow of people to the line (demand) to CHANGE. Hence demand is not constant nor fixed - there is a feedback loop in there as well as the patience to wait is not fixed either, but alters as people's priorities shift. The result of this is the number of people in front of you is NOT based on what happened hours and hours ago. It's based on a time window ahead of you and the wait during that time window. It's a sliding window, not the time window since the attraction opened.

These 'zero sum' and 'cumulative effect' arguments are all bunkus.

Fractal514

If some of us hadn't been told by cast members that it was within the rules to use a fastpass late, we wouldn't have ever done it in the first place. Just like (speaking for myself) I don't cut in line or refill old mugs or do anything else that CM's make clear is not allowed (those things seem inherently wrong to me anyway, since "don't cut" and "don't steal" are lessons that go all the way back to pre-school; fastpass usage is more of a gray area).

I don't see a reason to turn this into good guest vs. bad guest, when it was Disney's enforcement policy in the first place that converted some of us into (what many here perceive to be) "rule breakers."

I'm not making it a good vs bad. I'm not applying morality, I'm just saying that some people have a tough time in these nebulous situations and would prefer the rules be crystal clear and applied.

Tomi-Rocket

Hooray!!

My family gladly looks forward to this change. We are some of those crazy people who actually go back within the timeframe given to us! And we really appreciate the idea that while we made scheduled our time to get back within our timeframe that people who just totally ignored their time are ahead of us in line.

I do foresee, however, those poor CM's who will be verbally abused due to the change. I hope that doesn't happen but I know the sense of entitlement a LOT of folks have these days.

So from my family to Disney - Yay! And THANK YOU!!

And to the CM's - good luck!!

Tom

Beta Return
I do foresee, however, those poor CM's who will be verbally abused due to the change. I hope that doesn't happen but I know the sense of entitlement a LOT of folks have these days.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Really, ignoring everything else in this thread, I agree 100% with this comment. I definitely feel for the CMs, as they're going to be right in the line of fire, and will be unjustly abused by guests because of this.

draybook

If anyone is spending time in line wondering if the people in the FP line are returning late, then I would suggest you find some real problems to worry about. When I'm in stand by and I see people pass by in the Fast Pass line, I don't give it a second thought.

David S.

Really, ignoring everything else in this thread, I agree 100% with this comment. I definitely feel for the CMs, as they're going to be right in the line of fire, and will be unjustly abused by guests because of this.

Excellent point. And I would also like to point out that even though I am on the "against the changes" side of the debate, that I never have, and never will, harass, yell at, or otherwise abuse a CM over a misunderstanding or policy I didn't like.

I hope everyone out there understands that not all people who prefer that the current system stay like it is are the type who would do this.

In fact, I will go as far as to say (and this is coming from a HUGE FP user) that if the Fastpass system was permanently abolished, this would not bother me, if only because the system even as it is now results in lots of CM abuse. I know from talking to CM friends and aquaintances that many have been verbally or even physically abused by guests upset about things such as not getting let in with their FP early, or by people in standby being held at the merge point.

So for these reasons I'd be OK with just letting the FP system fade into "Yesterworld" in the interest of the CMs.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I really don't think there will be this huge attack on CMs.

Everyone who were FP horders in the past knew they were working in a space above and beyond what the system advertised. People weren't doing this and being oblivious that they were doing it.

So once the people are informed of this change.. they'll quickly adapt. I don't think many will 'fight back' and take it out on the CM. As soon as these people realize it's not just ONE person trying to be strict, but EVERYWHERE is like this, they will adapt.

The few that will go all ballistic are the aholes that are going to do this regardless once there is something to push their buttons.

The hardest part will be simply avoiding guests finding this out when they hit the FP return line. If Disney can make sure guests know this BEFORE they try to return late.. I don't think there will be conflicts at all. The problem will be if guests DON'T KNOW and then put themselves in a bad spot. But again, if guests are convinced this is a consistent change... the VAST majority will adapt and move on.

That's why I said many pages ago.. the most interesting part of this is how Disney gets the word out and avoids the conflict.

Rasvar

There's probably a large chunk of folks who have used late return when it was allowed, but won't actively lie to do it post-March. My family falls into that camp.

File me in the category too. I won't lie to get extra benefits. I only use what is available.

Brian Noble

File me in the category too. I won't lie to get extra benefits. I only use what is available.
Ditto. I was happy to use them to the end of the operating day before. I will be fine using them within the defined time now.

fosse76

If anyone is spending time in line wondering if the people in the FP line are returning late, then I would suggest you find some real problems to worry about. When I'm in stand by and I see people pass by in the Fast Pass line, I don't give it a second thought.

People do notice when it seems that a great deal more FP users practically halt the standby line. In my opinion, Disney issues too many.

Fractal514

People do notice when it seems that a great deal more FP users practically halt the standby line. In my opinion, Disney issues too many.

The two places I have noticed it the most. Killamanjaro and TSMM. I have seen both of these stand by lines stop for 5-10 minutes while FP's just flooded in. It sucked.

RSoxNo1

The two places I have noticed it the most. Killamanjaro and TSMM. I have seen both of these stand by lines stop for 5-10 minutes while FP's just flooded in. It sucked.

What's interesting is that in terms of Fastpass attractions those two are the top and bottom of the scale in terms of capacity.

PhilharMagician

Yeah, it does suck when you are in the SB line watching all these people just blow by you. Hopefully it can get to more of a 50/50 split all day long with the change. It all depends on how many FP's get distributed.

Does anyone know what TSMM is doing in the guest per hour #'s? I remember number being tossed around when it first opened and they were slowly getting better and then they changed the load area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom