Big changes coming to FASTPASS in March

Do you agree with the changes to the FASTPASS enforcement policy?

• Yes

Votes: 544 58.5%
  • No

Votes: 233 25.1%
  • I'm going to wait and see how it works

Votes: 153 16.5%

• Total voters

DizneyPryncess

I'm late to the party here....but I had no idea you could arrive at anytime you wanted after a fast pass expired. No idea. I have never arrived after the end time, and I've never had a problem. So this doesn't effect me at all, and I'm glad they're enforcing it. I just thought they always were! :hammer:

Also, for many years there were no fast passes at all, and people saw the parks just fine. I'm just glad a system is implemented at all to help with lines, and I have no complaints with how they want to run it. It makes me even happier that there is no charge for it like at other parks.

surfsupdon

I just wish they'd stop worrying about stuff like this.

The biggest complaint about Disney is the crowds. Usually the very first question asked to a person/family who has just returned is "Was it crowded?/ How were the lines?"

Build some new high caliber attractions that have a high capacity. More rides give more people things to do and spreads your crowd, hopefully thinning them out.

Toy Story Mania, to me, is a failure. The ride is super popular and cannot handle the masses. Capacity is too low, either with the ride, with the park in general, or a combo of both.

markc

How often are you there late anymore though Kevin? With your young kids, and taking photos during the day.. are you really staying till close often?

The system as it stands today is susceptible to this phenomenon. The later you get your FP, the less time during the day you have to use it. The later in the day, the less time all FP holders have to use it. So it becomes a constricting window of opportunity where you could see a higher density of returners then during other periods of the day. But if this change is enough to cause significant impact is a matter of numbers...

I'm a "local" to both WDW and DL (work situation causes me to live in both LA and Orlando...lucky for me, I guess :veryconfu) and can say that I have yet to see the epidemic that you seem to be seeing. You will see a rush after the parades/fireworks - but thats normal and should be expected. Beyond that, fast pass lines are pretty empty at the MK an hour prior to closing.

And at Disneyland - the only reason FP lines towards the end of the night are long at Space Mountain is due to the fact that the darn ride is always shut down for an hour or so due to a mechanical issue every day, creating a natural back log of both standbyers and Fastpass'ers.

The simple mathematics of the situation state that your wait time in the standby line isnt any longer than it would be if Disney would enforce the return times, assuming the line for the standby group is always continuous. Thats why I'm wondering why Disney is being so, for a lack of better words, stupid, in choosing to enforce something which has no effect for the better, but is risking a major backlash.

BullGatorTitan

I read up to around 20 something pages of this thread, then decided I would post.

I am an annual pass holder, live in Florida, so I can get to the parks quite often, but we did enjoy not being rushed around the park due to the times on the FP. We did this when we first got our AP, but learned of the current policy (anytime after the start time) while visiting Tom Sawyer's Island.

We were out there one morning and saw some kids with paint brushes. We inquired to a CM and we were told that if you find a paint brush you can get a FP to either BTMRR or Splash. They gave my kids a 'hint' and we found a paint brush. The kids wanted to ride BTMRR so we got our FP for the ride and the time was 7:30-8:30 AM. I looked at the CM and asked, and her response was, "Oh, the FP can be used after the start time until the park closes. And that goes for FP you get, not just the ones given to you from a CM." Oh wow, so now we know this and it allows for a more enjoyable trip.

Also, with the use of the FP system, it has allowed me to not require a GAC. I have a bad lower back and standing in line for 45+ minutes takes it toll. While walking through the park I am able to stop and sit down for a few while, let the wife and kids browse the stores while I sit and then I am good to go again. Looks like the GAC will definitely be an option now since there will be more waiting in line. And yes, there are times later in the evening after being on my feet all day that I skip out on some of the rides, usually BTMRR and Space.

As for those saying it will help the stand-by line. Don't bet on it. Right now people don't have a problem waiting in line for 60+ minutes for certain rides. That's not gonna change, and I see people that don't get a FP because of a conflict later will take the place of the person that might have had a FP and used it late. Standby times won't be affected, in my opinion.

zweltar

I don't know what the big deal is with this...
It seems pretty straight forward. If the FP return window is close to or conflicts with any other plans you have, don't get a FP. If you really want a FP, you can adjust your plans accordingly.
You don't HAVE to get a FP, nor do you HAVE to ride a ride.
I know we'd all like the perfect vacation with no lines and eating whenever/wherever we want, but that isn't the modern day Disney.

the-reason14

I'm a "local" to both WDW and DL (work situation causes me to live in both LA and Orlando...lucky for me, I guess :veryconfu) and can say that I have yet to see the epidemic that you seem to be seeing. You will see a rush after the parades/fireworks - but thats normal and should be expected. Beyond that, fast pass lines are pretty empty at the MK an hour prior to closing.

And at Disneyland - the only reason FP lines towards the end of the night are long at Space Mountain is due to the fact that the darn ride is always shut down for an hour or so due to a mechanical issue every day, creating a natural back log of both standbyers and Fastpass'ers.

The simple mathematics of the situation state that your wait time in the standby line isnt any longer than it would be if Disney would enforce the return times, assuming the line for the standby group is always continuous. Thats why I'm wondering why Disney is being so, for a lack of better words, stupid, in choosing to enforce something which has no effect for the better, but is risking a major backlash.

Most people are assuming it's because they want to slowly implement a nextgen type thing where you can pick the hours you want to return for fastpass on different days before you leave home. Supposedly it's gonna cost extra. And I'm thinking with this new nextgen fastpass, they'll have it to where in order you can reap the full benefits, you'll have to pay extra. :hurl:

surfsupdon

As long as us fools pay for it, they will keep it. Why not. They figure Universal, Busch, and Six Flags have upscale fastpass style tickets for MUCH extra--why cant we charge 90/day for a ticket and EVEN MORE for a deluxe fastpass??

If we didn't buy it, they wouldn't offer it.

Remember Passholder Best Rate Program? I feel that bombed and they promptly got rid of it. Weren't the deals just not as low?? So bookings were off? Did I read that hear or did I make it up?? LOL:)

flynnibus

Premium Member

I'm not saying it's a problem - just explaining how it could be. I've never had a SB moment I play on 'too many late FPs'.

The simple mathematics of the situation state that your wait time in the standby line isnt any longer than it would be if Disney would enforce the return times, assuming the line for the standby group is always continuous

But the line for standby isn't continuous. It's continuously feeding the ride, yes.. but the amount of people getting into the standby line is not continuous and impacted by the line itself. The wait for an attraction is a feedback loop in itself on if someone will get in line. And waits will influence how many people get in the line at all. The wait on an attraction is not about how many people it went through in a day, it's about how many people got into line in a window in front of you. Because of this, the whole 'net zero' argument about a FP person returning late has no impact is not true. The impact of any guest in the line (in or out) will diminish the longer that time was in the past. Because a guest's decision to get in line are not pre-determined and therefore the # of people in line is not predetermined nor constant.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Haven't seen it posted here... so I'll repost.

Text of notice being shared with CMs reportedly

Disney's FASTPASS service return time reminder
02/08/2012

In order to provide the best experience possible for everyone at our theme parks, all Walt Disney World Guests will be expected to return within their Disney's FASTPASS return time window, effective March 7.

Disney's FASTPASS service plays an important role in our Guests' ability to enjoy their visit to one of our Walt Disney World theme parks, and our ability to provide this great service is dependent upon Guests returning during the designated window. The vast majority of our Guests are aware of their return times and arrive in the window printed on the Disney's FASTPASS ticket.

As more Guests choose to take advantage of this feature, we want to provide the same opportunity to everyone. By asking all Guests to return within the window printed on their pass, more Guests will have the opportunity to enjoy this great service.

This is not a change, but simply a reminder of our existing policy. All Cast Members are expected to adhere to this policy when visiting the parks as Guests.

Tom

Beta Return

02/08/2012

In order to provide the best experience possible for everyone at our theme parks, all Walt Disney World Guests will be expected to return within their Disney's FASTPASS return time window, effective March 7.

Disney's FASTPASS service plays an important role in our Guests' ability to enjoy their visit to one of our Walt Disney World theme parks, and our ability to provide this great service is dependent upon Guests returning during the designated window. The vast majority of our Guests are aware of their return times and arrive in the window printed on the Disney's FASTPASS ticket.

As more Guests choose to take advantage of this feature, we want to provide the same opportunity to everyone. By asking all Guests to return within the window printed on their pass, more Guests will have the opportunity to enjoy this great service.

This is not a change, but simply a reminder of our existing policy. All Cast Members are expected to adhere to this policy when visiting the parks as Guests.

Very interesting... "a reminder of our existing policy".

Dwarful

We are frequent WDW guests. I don't have a problem with this. If we get FP's for something and then change our minds...we don't use the FP's later on we give them away. The one thing we hate is those groups who huddle around the FP return entrance blocking the entrance waiting for their return time. Keep to the side while your waiting for your time to arrive.

draybook

What's funny to me is how many people here thought that the window was always being adhered to or enforced. Then some of those same people say "they're glad it's going to be enforced". Well, if you thought it already was being enforced and you didn't notice any problems, doesn't that say something against the argument that late FP's were "ruining" the stand by lines?

RSoxNo1

02/08/2012

I wonder if they mean this "policy":

FastPassRules.jpg

Fractal514

What's funny to me is how many people here thought that the window was always being adhered to or enforced. Then some of those same people say "they're glad it's going to be enforced". Well, if you thought it already was being enforced and you didn't notice any problems, doesn't that say something against the argument that late FP's were "ruining" the stand by lines?

You are forgetting something that I think is vital to understanding this debate. There are people in the world who follow the rules. Whether you think it silly or not, these people follow the rules as explained, to the T. To them, having a time frame that really doesn't mean anything is maddening. These people get frustrated beyond belief when they see people cutting in line or refilling old mugs, and the various other things that get debated often here on the boards. To them the rules are the rules, and the fact that Disney has a stated set of rules to the public and then a secret set of rules for those in the know is even MORE maddening.

I should know, I'm one of those people.

DonaldDoleWhip

You are forgetting something that I think is vital to understanding this debate. There are people in the world who follow the rules. Whether you think it silly or not, these people follow the rules as explained, to the T. To them, having a time frame that really doesn't mean anything is maddening. These people get frustrated beyond belief when they see people cutting in line or refilling old mugs, and the various other things that get debated often here on the boards. To them the rules are the rules, and the fact that Disney has a stated set of rules to the public and then a secret set of rules for those in the know is even MORE maddening.

I should know, I'm one of those people.
If some of us hadn't been told by cast members that it was within the rules to use a fastpass late, we wouldn't have ever done it in the first place. Just like (speaking for myself) I don't cut in line or refill old mugs or do anything else that CM's make clear is not allowed (those things seem inherently wrong to me anyway, since "don't cut" and "don't steal" are lessons that go all the way back to pre-school; fastpass usage is more of a gray area).

I don't see a reason to turn this into good guest vs. bad guest, when it was Disney's enforcement policy in the first place that converted some of us into (what many here perceive to be) "rule breakers."

Tom

Beta Return
Agreed. Or else people will start trading in their Winnie the Pooh FP for Space Mountain, or their Living with the Land FP for Soarin'. Now that's an interesting policy. :lol:

No kidding! What's that all about? I'm glad guests don't know about that "policy" or "exception". It would be abused beyond imagination.

"Duhhhh.....I got this FastPass for Pooh, but I thought it was for Tower of Terror, and since I'm here, you have to let me ride it."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom