WDW Halloween vs. DL Halloween

spectrodanny

That truly amazes me! Thanks for the pics!! Still my question remains--why? WDW showcases some great holiday fireworks, shows, etc. but why not go to the limits that DL does

maybe because WDW doesn't have George Kalogridis as it's Pres (I heard he gave "Haunted Mansion Holiday" a bigger budget this year.)maybe it's because WDW doesn't realize how popular these things are.

imagineer boy

This isn't going to make too popular on this thread, but TP does have a bit of a point. Looking strictly at the pictures of the Christmas trees, the DL tree does a better job of looking realistic. Personally, I like the fact that their ornaments and baubles actually look like ornaments and baubles (i.e. they look like glass or cermaic) as opposed to our overly large painted plastic spheres. Also, DLs tree fits into Main Street much better than WDWs, and it doesn't look like its hovering ten feet off the ground. So, while DL's tree may go a bit overboard with the ornaments, it feels more Christmasy to me than WDWs all plastic ornament hover tree. If anything, the MK tree from 1973 was much better than the current one and looks like it may have been a perfect compromise between the current DL and WDW trees.

Overall, I do think the WDW theme park trees leave a lot to be desired. They don't look like real trees and they have a lack of ornaments and variety. Yes, each one is clearly themed differently, but the vairety and number of ornaments is lacking big time (DHS barely has ANYTHING on it apart from the plastic balls). While DLs tree may be overdone, I'd rather see that as opposed to doiing too little. After all, its Christmas; if the Osbourne family shows us anything, you can never over-do Christmas. :p

:xmas:

Agreed completely. I personally think WDW's tree looks ugly. Like someone else said, a big green cone with plastic ornaments glued to it.

And just look at what HKDL is doing for their halloween: http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/

Pretty sad when one of Disney's most sub-standard parks' halloween blows WDW's out of the water.

Buried20KLeague

Why do you keep trolling this?

Great, Mickey's home at DL is better. It rains a lot.

Everything else though is trolling. Trolling hard.

Enough is enough.

Are you serious?? So he has a differing opinion, with pictures and possible rationale to back it up... And he's "trolling"??

That term is getting VERY over-used on this site. Ridiculous. Once someone has exausted their side of a standpoint and might be tired of talking about it, out comes the "troll" accusation. Please. :rolleyes: I doubt a member of the site since 2003 with 2,800 posts to his name is concerned with being a "troll".

Have an adult conversation. Have different opinions. Don't make it personal by telling them what their intent is. It's can be fun, and more importantly, might make you see something differently than you did before. Give it a try.

TP2000, a LOT of people share your viewpoint, but just don't feel like getting into a p!ssing contest, which this thread has turned into. :wave:

TP2000

TP2000, a LOT of people share your viewpoint, but just don't feel like getting into a p!ssing contest, which this thread has turned into. :wave:

Thank you. :wave:

It is an interesting topic of conversation that the OP started here; how two theme parks run by the same company with nearly identical facilities can have such wildly different decorating schemes at Halloween or Christmas.

I thought maybe the pics would help illustrate the topic easily, and quite frankly it's always fun for me to find pics of identical WDW/Disneyland locations that end up looking different somehow.

HDS

Not sure where you heard that, but it's incorrect.

When the Halloween parties were at DCA, adults were allowed to wear costumes too. Now that the parties are moving to Disneyland for the first time this year, the same costume rules apply.

In short, adults may wear costumes to the Mickey's Halloween Parties at Disneyland, with the following brief (and reasonable) costume policy for both adults and children;
Yes I knew you can at DCA but who cares about DCA, most my friends in Cali want to do it in Disneyland, which as you said is now coming. I"m sure you knew what I meant but ya just wanted to be right or something. Dressing up in costume at DCA is like only dressing up at Downtown Disney...lame.

TP2000

Wow, I've never seen the MK and DL trees side-by-side before. Yeah, the MK tree sucks.

It's ironic that the resort trees are extremely well done.

I've come to believe through this thread that the rather, um, cheap looking Christmas trees in the WDW parks are results of the climate in WDW. The other holiday decorations in WDW also seem to suffer the same fate.

I used to live in the South and remember that October/November can still be hurricane season, and that it can still produce heavy rain and wind from passing thunderstorms even in fall and into December. SoCal, on the other hand, has to deal with the Santa Ana Winds in October/November, but usually doesn't get its first rainfall until late December or early January, and even then it's less than half an inch (although the SoCal locals completely FREAK OUT over that first half inch! :lol: )

For example, we've seen pictures of New Orleans Square decked out for Christmas here. The look is achieved with layers and layers of decorations and lights and props; feather boas, fans, beads, jewels, fabric ribbons and bows, etc. all draped over one another. And it's out in the open.

Here's the charming and famous Court of Angels, an outdoor courtyard tucked off an alleyway in Disneyland's New Orleans Square, and quite exposed to the elements.
2820035538_a170f2481f.jpg

Every year they always do a 6 to 8 foot Christmas tree in that courtyard at the base of the stairs, and decorate the curving staircase that goes up behind it to Club 33. Look at the detail work on this one Christmas tree in the Court of Angels in New Orleans Square;

dsc_0011.jpg

Close-up of the Tree and Garlands in Court of Angels
dl126022_original.jpg

There are delicate peacock feathers and gilded poinsettia flowers and sparkly fabric ribbon and various ornaments sprinkled with glitter and tiny sequins on both the tree and the 20 feet of double-garland that wraps up the staircase behind. And this all sits outdoors in a theme park exposed to the open sky for 7 weeks. They just couldn't do that in a Southern climate like WDW.

So my question is... Why not challenge the WDW designers to come up with lavish and impressive theme park displays that can stand up to the elements? It's time to break out of the pre-fab plastic 1970's mold so much of WDW's decorations are stuck in.

WDW made big strides when they got cloned versions of Disneyland's HalloweenTime pumpkins and streetlamp swags a couple years ago. Now it's time for WDW's best designers to tackle Christmas and get the four WDW parks up to a 21st century level of sophistication and sensibility. That can also stand up to Mother Nature, of course. :lol:

TP2000

Yes I knew you can at DCA but who cares about DCA, most my friends in Cali want to do it in Disneyland, which as you said is now coming. I"m sure you knew what I meant but ya just wanted to be right or something. Dressing up in costume at DCA is like only dressing up at Downtown Disney...lame.

Hey, I've been making fun of DCA since about 1998 on the old alt.disney.disneyland usenet forums, so I can dish on DCA with the best of 'em. There is very, very little to love about that park in its 2001 opening day format. :D

Word is they doubled the ticket sales for the Halloween Parties now that they moved them over to Disneyland this year. I'm sure it will be wildly succesful, although Friday night parking will be a real nightmare as usual for those Halloween parties.

hpyhnt 1000

So my question is... Why not challenge the WDW designers to come up with lavish and impressive theme park displays that can stand up to the elements? It's time to break out of the pre-fab plastic 1970's mold so much of WDW's decorations are stuck in.

WDW made big strides when they got cloned versions of Disneyland's HalloweenTime pumpkins and streetlamp swags a couple years ago. Now it's time for WDW's best designers to tackle Christmas and get it up to a 21st century level of sophistication and sensibility. That can also stand up to Mother Nature, of course. :lol:

Agreed with your bolded point completely. There's no ligitimate excuse for why DL can have actual ornaments and baubles and ribbon while the best WDW can do is painted soccer balls. If they can put 100,000+ artifical leaves on the Tree of Life that can survive hurricane force winds, then they can find a way to make some bows, ribbons, and ornaments that can hang outside for two months on a Christmas tree.

_Scar

Are you serious?? So he has a differing opinion, with pictures and possible rationale to back it up... And he's "trolling"??

That term is getting VERY over-used on this site. Ridiculous. Once someone has exausted their side of a standpoint and might be tired of talking about it, out comes the "troll" accusation. Please. :rolleyes: I doubt a member of the site since 2003 with 2,800 posts to his name is concerned with being a "troll".

Have an adult conversation. Have different opinions. Don't make it personal by telling them what their intent is. It's can be fun, and more importantly, might make you see something differently than you did before. Give it a try.

The same post has been posted about 10 times. We get it. New Orleans Square is awesome. WDW sucks. You've made your opinion VERY clear. I'm all for opinions, free speech, HELL- I even told JT I wasn't going to block him after the whole 'block JT' thing was popular. I have a high tolerence point.

But this is just repition in a forum where it doesn't even belong in a thread title which asks about Halloween.

He has a lot to troll about when DL's Christmas is so awesome. I would too if it was that much better than MK's, let's face it we all do. All I ask is to let up TP. We see your point. And I do genuinely like and respect your posts- I commonly praise them. :D

Now, I don't know what this has to do with you Buried20k- so I'll leave it at that.

fosse76

The same post has been posted about 10 times. We get it. New Orleans Square is awesome. WDW sucks. You've made your opinion VERY clear. I'm all for opinions, free speech, HELL- I even told JT I wasn't going to block him after the whole 'block JT' thing was popular. I have a high tolerence point.

But this is just repition in a forum where it doesn't even belong in a thread title which asks about Halloween.

He has a lot to troll about when DL's Christmas is so awesome. I would too if it was that much better than MK's, let's face it we all do. All I ask is to let up TP. We see your point. And I do genuinely like and respect your posts- I commonly praise them. :D

Now, I don't know what this has to do with you Buried20k- so I'll leave it at that.
Ummm...how is it trolling? Because you can't counter it?

TP2000

Scar, I can see how it would seem like 'trolling' (hate that word, by the way), but I assure you that wasn't my intention. You and I have always had fun and interesting conversations here, so I appreciate your honest feelings. I look forward to more fun and conversation here in the future.

As a token of goodwill, I present an example of a Christmas decoration that WDW does better than Disneyland! :)

Ladies and gentlemen, I humbly present the decorated street lamps of Main Street USA in Florida and California. WDW's Magic Kingdom does these very nicely designed and nifty looking Mickey Mouse shaped wreaths on the street lamps with additional lamps hung from the Mickey ears, while at Disneyland they have the identical street lamps with more mundane and rather predictable wreaths just sort of hanging there without much thought. WDW wins the battle of the street lamp wreaths!

Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom, Main Street USA
100_2523.JPG

Disneyland, Main Street USA
DL_Lamp.jpg

_Scar

TP, you're awesome. That's all that needs to be said ;D

Also, just watched NBC. I really do need to check out HMH once in my lifetime. I forgot how much I love the movie!

hpyhnt 1000

Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom, Main Street USA
100_2523.JPG

Disneyland, Main Street USA
DL_Lamp.jpg

I don't get it; if they can put bows and poinsettias on the lampost wreaths, why not on the actual tree? Makes no sense... :shrug:

But nice to see something at WDW is better than DL. :lol:

jjharvpro

Original Poster
okay I was the first to post on this and might be the last. All I wanted was to get some sort of simple answer. I'm not complaining at all but I am just saying this website is called wdwmagic This is supposed to be for WDW fans, not people who diss it and go with DL. I love both parks, but this site is for the wonderful magic of Walt Disney World. Thank you TP for all the wonderful pictures

Buried20KLeague

okay I was the first to post on this and might be the last. All I wanted was to get some sort of simple answer. I'm not complaining at all but I am just saying this website is called wdwmagic This is supposed to be for WDW fans, not people who diss it and go with DL. I love both parks, but this site is for the wonderful magic of Walt Disney World. Thank you TP for all the wonderful pictures

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=631229

Wilt Dasney

The focus of this site will always be WDW, but I think there's room for people with all kinds of Disney-related interests...even people who are less interested in WDW than those other topics. That's why the subforums for the other parks and non-park properties are here.

I registered on this site 8 years ago right on the eve of my WDW College Program because I was obsessed with the Orlando properties at the time and wanted to read all I could about them.

Last year, I visited Disneyland for the first time and honestly have been most interested in news and discussion related to the California properties since then.

But this site has remained my top choice over more DL-centric boards like Micechat. I know a lot of people here and prefer the mix of opinions and topics, as well as the up to date information on Disney parks and projects from all over. :)

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
I'd say the Christmas decorating efforts are just as extensive at WDW as they are in Disneyland.

At WDW they have to decorate 4 parks, as well as each resort. Exploring the resorts and seeing all the time and effort they put into decorating them is one of my favorite things to do. The fact that they construct Grand Floridan's giant gingerbread house at from scratch each year is mind blowing.

Not to mention the Osborne Lights, which is one of the greatest things I've ever seen at a Disney park.

You're right about Osborne, but overall WDW is a little diluted out for Christmas and just doesn't do much for Halloween.

If you added up all the decorations, there might be more, but MK only bothers to decorate Main Street and now the castle. there isn't much of anything in the other lands. Epcot continues to do less and less, and Animal Kingdom does little beyond the Jingle Jungle Parade.

DL and CA do a much fuller treatment, and hands down do more for Halloween.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom