WDW Halloween vs. DL Halloween

TP2000

Really? You see country themed ornaments, globes, sayings in different languages at the trees in DHS and MK?

You see the 1940s tinsel garland, Santa faces and film reels on the trees at Epcot and MK?

You see the gingerbread themed ornaments and popcorn garland at the trees at DHS and Epcot?

Other than colored ball ornaments that even appear in the Disneyland tree you posted, there isn't much overlap. Have your preference, whatever. But don't state things that aren't true.

Yeah, I saw the film reels at the base in DHS. I saw the little language sayings at Epcot. But just as the theme gets going, it ends very sparsely.

I've been trying to be polite here, but the deal with all of these WDW trees is that they are... done so cheaply! :eek:

It's like they don't want to spend more than 100 bucks on decorations for each tree. This isn't the lobby of a nursing home in Kissimmee here, this is Walt Disney World. Go gonzo! Go big! Spend some real cash! Get fresh, modern designers in there to rethink and go wild! Don't just meet expectations, exceed expectations and make these trees the centerpiece they are supposed to be!

It's seriously like Martha Stewart with a big budget at Disneyland vs. Minnie Pearl clipping coupons at WDW. :eek:

Tigger1988

So you're not going to acknowledge what you said was 100% false?

I mean, I can state falsehoods to try and make my opinion seem better, but I'm not going to.

TP2000

My problem with HMH is that it takes away a classic e-ticket for 1/3 of the year- including Halloween which it's tailor-made for.

Kinda bogus.

Scar, I think it's going to be important for you to make your first visit to Disneyland to judge this one. Hopefully that first visit can be October through December when the Holiday versions of these attractions are running.

Like everyone else I've ever read on any message board, once they ride Haunted Mansion Holiday, they become a convert and love it. I'm sure you will too.

Heck, I haven't even seen the Nightmare Before Christmas movie, but I still love the Holiday version of Haunted Mansion. It's just fantastic!

_Scar

Treat me as someone who is judging from the vantage point of wanting to go to Disneyland but am cautious of when to go- because this is really my point of view.

I wasn't even suggesting my opinion of the ride. I simply said Haunted Mansion is tailor-made for Halloween.

Although I love NBC to a point, I'd like to go during a time where I can ride the original Haunted Mansion. It's a kingdom favorite of mine.

TP2000

So you're not going to acknowledge what you said was 100% false?

I mean, I can state falsehoods to try and make my opinion seem better, but I'm not going to.

I'm not sure what you are getting at, to be honest.

That there are some themed decorations at each tree? That is true, and you can clearly see them in the pictures I've posted here. :D

The film reels at DHS are a cute touch, but then aren't followed through in any meaningful way through the rest of the tree. There are lots of the same plastic balls and candy canes throughout each tree as well though.

I'd really like to see WDW hire some fresh designers with a modern sensibility. Give them a nice, big budget, and let them totally redesign each of the four WDW park trees. These things need to look fresh and crisp and WOW! instead of tired and dated and chintzy.

Tigger1988

I'm not sure what you are getting at, to be honest.

That there are some themed decorations at each tree? That is true, and you can clearly see them in the pictures I've posted here. :D

The film reels at DHS are a cute touch, but then aren't followed through in any meaningful way through the rest of the tree. There are lots of the same plastic balls and candy canes throughout each tree as well though.

You're the one who claimed that all 3 of those trees used "almost all of the same decorations" which I already pointed out isn't true.

The themes, garland, and major ornaments on each tree are different. Outside of some generic Christmas balls and candy canes, there isn't this massive overlap that you're suggesting.

TP2000

You're the one who claimed that all 3 of those trees used "almost all of the same decorations" which I already pointed out isn't true.

The themes, garland, and major ornaments on each tree are different. Outside of some generic Christmas balls and candy canes, there isn't this massive overlap that you're suggesting.

Let's not get too nitpicky over candy canes and plastic balls. :)

I'll just let the pictures here of the four WDW trees, and all of the words I posted here, speak for themselves.

On the plus side, the Deluxe Hotels at WDW do a fine job with their lobby Christmas trees.

But the design direction given to Disneyland decoration teams for both Halloween and Christmas is noticeably different than the direction the WDW teams go in.

Tigger1988

Yeah, these trees have exactly the same decorations, I almost can't tell them apart.

Epcot:

10xrne8.jpg

muiyig.jpg

x5e7t1.jpg

DHS:

t71z7d.jpg

MK:
3677714592_516f2fe9c0.jpg

_Scar

I, at first, was wary when looking at the pics a page or two ago, but it sure looks like 4 unique trees to me.

TY, tigger :D

Thrill

Like everyone else I've ever read on any message board, once they ride Haunted Mansion Holiday, they become a convert and love it. I'm sure you will too.

Heck, I haven't even seen the Nightmare Before Christmas movie, but I still love the Holiday version of Haunted Mansion. It's just fantastic!

Then you've never seen me post about HMH. I prefer the original by far, regardless of the season. I'll admit, I haven't seen all of NBC, but I wasn't too fond of the ride.

palmickey420

I think one reason why DL goes so much further in decorations than WDW is because DL only has 2 parks while WDW has 4 parks and tons of resorts to decorate

TP2000

Yeah, these trees have exactly the same decorations, I almost can't tell them apart.
MK:
3677714592_516f2fe9c0.jpg

Attention KMart shoppers! Blue Light Special on Christmas Tree decorations on Aisle 4! :rolleyes:

Now that we've all exhausted the Internets looking for pictures of Christmas trees in Disney theme parks... :lol:

I think I may have stumbled across a reason why the trees and decorations for Halloween and Christmas (especially Christmas) look so different between Disneyland and WDW. I have a growing hunch that the more brutal climate of Orlando doesn't allow them to put up the more intricate and delicate decorations that Disneyland does.

I took an attraction that is nearly identical in each park, the Mickey's House meet n' greet in Toontown, and found some big differences likely due to the climate.

Mickey's house front yard Christmas tree at WDW
3115302081_f719d0aafb.jpg

Mickey's house front yard Christmas tree at Disneyland
2111792346_74cc661edd.jpg

Next door at Disneyland is Minnie's House, with an ultra-feminine look to the same type of outdoor display that's missing from WDW
IMG_3698.jpg

Meanwhile, the wreaths on the lamp posts at the two Toontown's also use a different look, and climate has to be a factor here as well as the WDW versions are all one piece and the Disneyland ones are pieced together with literally dozens of elements and individual decorations.

Mickey's Toontown Fair at WDW Christmas wreath lamp post
141320127_25e24c007b.jpg

Mickey's Toontown at Disneyland Christmas wreath lamp post
3130958485_468b384151.jpg

The decor clearly takes two very different design directions on each coast. But I have to believe now that the climate and environmental stresses placed on the exteriors in each property is playing a big part here. Still, there seems to be an opportunity for the WDW designers to step up their game just a bit and overcome the environmental restrictions they work under. There has to be a way to plus up these decorations a bit.

Tigger1988

You may have exhausted the internets looking for pictures. The Epcot shots are my own personal photos, the DHS one was found on google and the MK shot was one you posted previously in the thread. :shrug:

Anyway, it's clear you can't state your preference without taking potshots at the other parks. If you think the decorations look like anything you could find at Kmart I suggest you find and watch HGTV's "Behind the Magic" special from last Christmas, which details the sheer amount of work that goes into the WDW decorations.

TP2000

You may have exhausted the internets looking for pictures. The Epcot shots are my own personal photos, the DHS one was found on google and the MK shot was one you posted previously in the thread. :shrug:

Anyway, it's clear you can't state your preference without taking potshots at the other parks. If you think the decorations look like anything you could find at Kmart I suggest you find and watch HGTV's "Behind the Magic" special from last Christmas, which details the sheer amount of work that goes into the WDW decorations.

Hey, for me that's an exhausting search to the very edges of the Internets! :lol:

I've seen the HGTV special, and I know the CM's that WDW does put on the decorating jobs work very hard. But when you look at these side by side shots of nearly duplicate locations at WDW and Disneyland, clearly there is a design difference.

And that's where the opportunity lies for WDW, as I've stated here. It's not the hard working installation and production CM's. It's the design and budget they are working with. I think the climate has a lot to do with it, but it doesn't appear that they've tried to raise their standards much past the excuse of "Well, it rains a lot in Florida so we can't put up nice things".

With modern technology, there has to be the ability to improve the look of many of these decorations. That's the designers responsibility, once TDO gives them a legit budget to work with.

_Scar

Hey, for me that's an exhausting search to the very edges of the Internets! :lol:

I've seen the HGTV special, and I know the CM's that WDW does put on the decorating jobs work very hard. But when you look at these side by side shots of nearly duplicate locations at WDW and Disneyland, clearly there is a design difference.

And that's where the opportunity lies for WDW, as I've stated here. It's not the hard working installation and production CM's. It's the design and budget they are working with. I think the climate has a lot to do with it, but it doesn't appear that they've tried to raise their standards much past the excuse of "Well, it rains a lot in Florida so we can't put up nice things".

With modern technology, there has to be the ability to improve the look of many of these decorations. That's the designers responsibility, once TDO gives them a legit budget to work with.

Why do you keep trolling this?

Great, Mickey's home at DL is better. It rains a lot.

Everything else though is trolling. Trolling hard.

Enough is enough.

TP2000

Great, Mickey's home at DL is better. It rains a lot.

Everything else though is trolling. Trolling hard.

Enough is enough.

The two Mickey's homes are actually nearly identical between WDW and Disneyland. It's the Christmas decorations 6 weeks out of the year that are different, and thus the discussion here.

I'm sorry you feel I was "trolling" by engaging the OP's original questions with photographic examples of how the two properties decorate their parks differently.

The pictures seem to speak for themselves in illustrating those differences, and I assumed it simply supports the discussion we are having here. :)

JustInTime

The two Mickey's homes are actually nearly identical between WDW and Disneyland. It's the Christmas decorations 6 weeks out of the year that are different, and thus the discussion here.

I'm sorry you feel I was "trolling" by engaging the OP's original questions with photographic examples of how the two properties decorate their parks differently.

The pictures seem to speak for themselves in illustrating those differences, and I assumed it simply supports the discussion we are having here. :)

Well, you are beating a dead horse. Remember you are posting on a Disney World fan site (and how this is news OR rumors I will never know) so it is very likely we will not agree with you. I know there are boards out there where people can give you the Disneyland love you are looking for. You just won't find it here.

And for the record, they are both super, super nice. :animwink:

hpyhnt 1000

This isn't going to make too popular on this thread, but TP does have a bit of a point. Looking strictly at the pictures of the Christmas trees, the DL tree does a better job of looking realistic. Personally, I like the fact that their ornaments and baubles actually look like ornaments and baubles (i.e. they look like glass or cermaic) as opposed to our overly large painted plastic spheres. Also, DLs tree fits into Main Street much better than WDWs, and it doesn't look like its hovering ten feet off the ground. So, while DL's tree may go a bit overboard with the ornaments, it feels more Christmasy to me than WDWs all plastic ornament hover tree. If anything, the MK tree from 1973 was much better than the current one and looks like it may have been a perfect compromise between the current DL and WDW trees.

Overall, I do think the WDW theme park trees leave a lot to be desired. They don't look like real trees and they have a lack of ornaments and variety. Yes, each one is clearly themed differently, but the vairety and number of ornaments is lacking big time (DHS barely has ANYTHING on it apart from the plastic balls). While DLs tree may be overdone, I'd rather see that as opposed to doiing too little. After all, its Christmas; if the Osbourne family shows us anything, you can never over-do Christmas. :p

:xmas:

tirian

Wow, I've never seen the MK and DL trees side-by-side before. Yeah, the MK tree sucks.

It's ironic that the resort trees are extremely well done.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom