WDW Halloween vs. DL Halloween

jjharvpro

Original Poster
One has to see that WDW has to do not just the parks, but a number of its resorts. Disneyland has two parks and one, maybe two hotels to theme. Disneyland might have more to offer in the parks, let's say for Halloween, but WDW does Halloween and Christmas justice.

tirian

Don't forget the Magic Kingdom does decorate Frontierland, Adventureland, and Toontown for Christmas in addition to MSUSA. Epcot's countries (except Morocco) are decked out for the holidays, and the miniature train village in Germany gets Christmas trees and such. DHS gets quite a bit too, but I agree that the dancing Osborne lights have made the streets an impassible mess. DAK gets the least, and offers the most possibilities. :(

But what about LOW? :fork:

Horizons1

The resorts is a weak excuse. Disney has often billed themselves as the place that pulls off the impossible. If they really wanted to they could decorate the parks so much nicer.

HDS

Pretty pics but also, you get to dress in costume "IN SIDE" The Magic Kingdom. DL dont let you do that.

TP2000

Pretty pics but also, you get to dress in costume "IN SIDE" The Magic Kingdom. DL dont let you do that.

Not sure where you heard that, but it's incorrect.

When the Halloween parties were at DCA, adults were allowed to wear costumes too. Now that the parties are moving to Disneyland for the first time this year, the same costume rules apply.

In short, adults may wear costumes to the Mickey's Halloween Parties at Disneyland, with the following brief (and reasonable) costume policy for both adults and children;

"All costumes must adhere to any guidelines as determined solely by Disney. Please choose costumes that are not obstructive, offensive, or violent. Guests' eyes must be visible at all times."

TP2000

The resorts is a weak excuse. Disney has often billed themselves as the place that pulls off the impossible. If they really wanted to they could decorate the parks so much nicer.

WDW does put up some Christmas decorations, but it's their quality and sophistication that I think is noticeably lacking compared to Disneyland. WDW does kind of a JCPenney style decorating, while Disneyland takes the lusher Nordstrom route.

Take the main Christmas tree on Main Street USA. It's a big fake cone at Magic Kingdom stuck on a pole set 10 feet above the ground; very sparsely decorated with flat two-dimensional decorations that are, quite honestly, pretty cheesy looking.

166790-95e39ad5-0055-4ab4-be4d-8c994928175cl.jpg
3677714592_516f2fe9c0.jpg

The Disneyland tree is also fake, but looks more realistic from both afar and up close. But what sets it apart is the way it is presented at street level, and the very expensive and unique old-fashioned ornaments that are layered in HUGE numbers all over the tree. It's very lush, very fancy, and very expensive looking, not to mention very 1905 period-specific.

P1010119.jpg
DSC01361.jpg

There's just a very different design sensibility between the two Disney properties in Florida and California. The Christmas trees in the parks are one of the best examples of that.

Judging by these pictures and my personal observations, one tree was decorated by Martha Stewart in 2010, and the other was decorated by Minnie Pearl in 1975. :animwink:

The individually decorated street lamps in New Orleans Square are another good example. Just really lavish, sophisticated, polished presentation there.

And just for lamp posts along walkways in a corner of the park!

dsc_0288.jpg
298595098_3347113e74.jpg

new-orleans-square-lamp.jpg
3327787466_0b48476db4.jpg

_Scar

Is it bad I like the MK tree way better? The cartoony feel to it appeals to me while the DL tree looks so chaotic and cold.

I have booked tickets for DL halloween party for the 8th oct and I cannot wait to see how the two compare we went to the WDW party in sep 08 and had agreat time. I do know that they dont have a parade in DL which was one of the highlights of the party for us and that the locals are upset that the halloween fireworks are now only on the party nights where as last year they were on regular nights. My other thought is that the halloween overlay to HM is one of the best I have ever seen we were there in nov 07 and it is amazing the time and detail they have put into this it could be my favourite ride at this time of year.

wdwfan22

Is it bad I like the MK tree way better? The cartoony feel to it appeals to me while the DL tree looks so chaotic and cold.

I to enjoy the Magic Kingdom's tree more than Disneylands. I feel that Disneyland's has to much going on and is over kill. The castle lighting moments are another example. Disneyland does try with it's twinkle moment, but you never really go wow like you do when they light Cinderella Castle. In my opinion Holiday Wishes and Mickey's Once Upon A Christmastime Parade are far more grand than Believe in Holiday Magic and A Christmas Fantasy Parade.

Tigger1988

lol those trees look equally as fake and cheesy. Only difference is Disneyland shoved so much crap on theirs you can't see anything else. Overkill.

You seem to be of the belief that more/bigger is better, I don't agree.

NadieMasK2

Thanks for all these pics TP2000!! I have been to both coasts but only WDW for both holidays. Do you know if they have the decorations out for around the same time period? Would Christmas be in full force in November?

TP2000

Thanks for all these pics TP2000!! I have been to both coasts but only WDW for both holidays. Do you know if they have the decorations out for around the same time period? Would Christmas be in full force in November?

Nowadays it's usually in full force by the weekend of Veterans Day. I think this year everything gets going November 12th. It's A Small World Holiday and the Christmas fireworks start that day, so I bet the Christmas Fantasy Parade will start the 12th also.

The Christmas Fantasy Parade is sort of the clue when things start, as Disneyland performs Christmas Fantasy Parade at least once daily during regular park hours (twice a day on weekends, longer operating hours). You don't need to buy a ticket to a party to see the Christmas parade at Disneyland, and once they start performing that daily then Christmas has begun.

TP2000

lol those trees look equally as fake and cheesy. Only difference is Disneyland shoved so much crap on theirs you can't see anything else. Overkill.

You seem to be of the belief that more/bigger is better, I don't agree.

I can agree that decorations are a personal taste. If the antiqued period 1905 look of the Disneyland tree decorations don't work for you, then that's cool. (I wouldn't want them on my tree at home either, I'm a very modern guy)

Disneyland Christmas Tree decorations up close
3128651632_80f3935734.jpg

But the WDW trees go too far the other way. They are just sort of a generic cone with some very cheap looking decorations that really don't have a contemporary design sensibility about them. (Heck, the Epcot and Magic Kingdom and DHS trees use almost all of the same decorations) The WDW parks trees look like any shopping mall tree circa 1979, except it's WDW circa 2010.

Epcot Christmas Tree
x026.jpg

Disney Holllywood Studios Christmas Tree
x009.jpg

The Animal Kingdom tree is the one that is the most different, with some sparse yet at least themed animal decorations
341853021_2807e1cc69.jpg

But at Disneyland, the Christmas decorating Guiding Principle is more, MORE, MORE! :lol:

New Orleans Square alley in daytime
20091211_0206-a.jpg

New Orleans Square alley at night
NOS+Lights+01.jpg

Haunted Mansion Holiday
P9270493.JPG
press03.jpg

It's A Small World Holiday loading area
149-main_Full.jpg

TP2000

Here is what the tree look like at the Magic Kingdom back in 1973.

magic%20kingdom%20photo%201%201973.jpg

DisneyDecember1973

Love that!

It looks like it was a real tree, or at least a very good reproduction, with lots of unique decorations on it. It looks more genuine than the pre-fab cone that gets set up now with the same look year after year.

_Scar

iasw also has that wonderful multi-media show right?

It's gorgeous from what I've seen. Stuff like iasw with it's a lot going on but not too overwhelming is what I prefer. It's very simple but grand at the same time. I'd make a special trip to DL just to see that at night. Too bad it's far ):

Tigger1988

(Heck, the Epcot and Magic Kingdom and DHS trees use almost all of the same decorations)

Really? You see country themed ornaments, globes, sayings in different languages at the trees in DHS and MK?

You see the 1940s tinsel garland, Santa faces and film reels on the trees at Epcot and MK?

You see the gingerbread themed ornaments and popcorn garland at the trees at DHS and Epcot?

Other than colored ball ornaments that even appear in the Disneyland tree you posted, there isn't much overlap. Have your preference, whatever. But don't state things that aren't true.

TP2000

My other thought is that the halloween overlay to HM is one of the best I have ever seen we were there in nov 07 and it is amazing the time and detail they have put into this it could be my favourite ride at this time of year.

Haunted Mansion Holiday is a great ride, I agree. I think you'll really enjoy Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy as well, the new Halloween version of the ride that debuted last year. It's pretty intense though, as the ghost chasing you inside is clearly not of the friendly variety. Make sure you catch the Tomorrowland area at night when the exterior dome show is happening on Space Mountain. Wow! :eek:

ghostgalaxy.jpg

This news of new effects and technology came up about Haunted Mansion Holiday this weekend from Miceage, as it opens on Friday the 17th.

"Wondering why the annual Haunted Mansion rehab is running a few days longer than normal this September? George Kalogridis has a few tricks and treats waiting for Disneyland fans this fall, as he aimed a chunk of the seasonal budget at plussing up the Haunted Mansion Holiday beyond just the traditional gingerbread house and overall TLC. New technology is being utilized to the fullest, and Madame Leota in particular is in a very decorative mood this year. - Al Lutz"

Tokyo Disneyland does a very good version of Haunted Mansion Holiday on their ride as well. And that's of note because the 1982 Tokyo Mansion is almost an exact duplicate of the 1971 WDW Mansion. So the 1971 exterior and track layout lend itself very well to doing a Haunted Mansion Holiday makeover. It's just as wildly popular in Tokyo as it is in Anaheim, as two of my Tokyo visits have been during October.

tdl50.jpg

http://www.themeparkreview.com/japan2004/tdl50.jpg

_Scar

My problem with HMH is that it takes away a classic e-ticket for 1/3 of the year- including Halloween which it's tailor-made for.

Kinda bogus.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom