Haunted Mansion movie...WITHOUT EDDIE MURPHY!

lebeau

Disney just released the new trailer for TRON! Go to Blue Sky for a link. For those of you who are still doubters, prepare yourselves for the future.....

this bodes well for the HM project.

WOW! :sohappy:

Just watched the new Tron trailer. The visuals look great. But that doesn't mean the movie will be any good. I mean, the first Tron looked great in its day. But the story sucked and the movie was a disappointment. That could easily happen here too.

But I'll give you this much, it was a great trailer.

This bodes nothing for HM. Other than being produced by the same studio, they have nothing to do with each other. That's like saying Prince of Persia bodes ill for Tron.

Testtrack321

Last time I checked so was Pirates of the Caribbean and that has become a huge multimillion dollar franchise for Disney with multiple installments rivaling Indiana Jones and Harry Potter at the box office.

So the whole, official Disney, nay Walt Disney, sanctioned story of a journey into a haunted bayou into a pirates lair and back in time to a ransacked port town with the pirates looking for the town treasure isn't a story. Right.

lebeau

Tron had doubters? I find that surprising since for the past two years the mood has been overwhelmingly positive for the project.

Oh, Tron has doubters. It's based on a cult movie that disappointed at the box office decades ago.

I don't doubt it will open well. But if the story isn't there it might end up like the original - a noble disappointment.

(I'm hoping it will be great and perform well at the box office. But I won't be convinced based on flashy visuals or even slick trailers.)

Captain Neo

So the whole, official Disney, nay Walt Disney, sanctioned journey into a haunted bayou into a pirates lair and back in time to a ransacked port town with the pirates looking for the town treasure isn't a story. Right.

...........POTC has the same level of story that Haunted Mansion does.

Testtrack321

...........POTC has the same level of story that Haunted Mansion does.

Then what is the story of the Haunted Mansion, what is the story described by Disney and the attraction narration? The only plot line is that you are in a haunted house at night as event unfold. The scenes are loosely tied together by negative spaces or jump transitions. Any Haunted Mansion story line is/was created by fans and CMs to logically explain the happenings in the house.

Pirates has a story line, it has a sense of story arc progression filled with little scenes of character moments.

Similar attraction level and scene set ups, yes, but same level of story, no.

lebeau

I can't think of a better guy for this than del Torro. Maybe Sam Raimi if they wanted something more mainstream. This will likely be a good movie. I don't know if it will be as successful as Pirates, but I'm sure it'll perform at least as well as Hellboy. This is good news for any HM fan.

lebeau

Then what is the story of the Haunted Mansion, what is the story described by Disney and the attraction narration? The only plot line is that you are in a haunted house at night as event unfold. The scenes are loosely tied together by negative spaces or jump transitions. Any Haunted Mansion story line is/was created by fans and CMs to logically explain the happenings in the house.

Pirates has a story line, it has a sense of story arc progression filled with little scenes of character moments.

Similar attraction level and scene set ups, yes, but same level of story, no.

Well, a movie has to have a story. So are you arguing against ANY HM-based movie? :shrug:

jt04

Just watched the new Tron trailer. The visuals look great. But that doesn't mean the movie will be any good. I mean, the first Tron looked great in its day. But the story sucked and the movie was a disappointment. That could easily happen here too.

But I'll give you this much, it was a great trailer.

This bodes nothing for HM. Other than being produced by the same studio, they have nothing to do with each other. That's like saying Prince of Persia bodes ill for Tron.

I don't think so. I think that in the future this time will be noted as the 'before Mr Cook' and 'after Mr Cook' era. Nothing against the guy but his record was hit and miss and I'm not sure he was visionary enough to evolve Disney films into the 3D era if you will. Disney had to change if it wanted to stay in the game :lol:, if you catch my meaning.:animwink:

Yep, BC vs. AC. Before Cook and After Cook.

lebeau

I don't think so. I think that in the future this time will be noted as the 'before Mr Cook' and 'after Mr Cook' era. Nothing against the guy but his record was hit and miss and I'm not sure he was visionary enough to evolve Disney films into the 3D era if you will. Disney had to change if it wanted to stay in the game :lol:, if you catch my meaning.:animwink:

Yep, BC vs. AC. Before Cook and After Cook.

Well, Tron was started under ________ Cook. So he gets the credit.

HM Spectre

YES! This is very exciting! I absolutely love Del Toro's visuals... he seems to have a real knack for captivating imagery. Eddie Murphy's HM was pretty subpar and didn't have the right feel for me, so I'm glad to see Disney take another crack at it. I love that it'll be scary too although I hope that Del Toro keeps it mainstream enough to have a mass appeal. Sometimes he's been a little too far out there to have the general public appreciate his talents, but I'm excited nonetheless!

devoy1701

Movies have been based on less.

so have hit tv shows... case and point, Seinfeld. :D

Though "Story and Song of the Haunted Mansion" is more than enough plotline for me! Officially released through Disney, though everyone still argues on whether or not it's supposed to be the actual story of the attraction.

Disneyson 1

Guys, you do realize that the only character that could be added to the ride from the movie is the Hatbox Ghost, right...?

I can't believe you guys are complaining about the virtual confirmation that Hatty is coming back...

lebeau

Doesn't mean they should be made.

Fair enough. But the point is it doesn't mean they shouldn't.

Just because the ride it's based on didn't have a narrative doesn't mean it shouldn't be made into a movie.

You've got an exceptionally talented film maker working on subject matter that is near and dear to his heart. It's right in his sweet spot. It could be a home run.

devoy1701

Guys, you do realize that the only character that could be added to the ride from the movie is the Hatbox Ghost, right...?

I can't believe you guys are complaining about the virtual confirmation that Hatty is coming back...

The movie is going to have more than just one character...so saying that the only character they can add from the movie is Hatbox Ghost before you have seen the movie or the movie has even been MADE is a pretty bold and probably inaccurate statement.

Not saying they will add ANY characters...just saying that statement is wrong.

jt04

3D era? Movies are not different now because they change a few bucks more and have depth. Avatar was still a predictable mess despite any 3D.

I was being a bit metaphorical. Times change, movie audiences change for better or worse. The magic happens in those rare instances a movie can transcend all the pitfalls. Ultimately though the blockbusters are aiming for the under 21 crowd. That is why a change was needed at Disney. And why Pixar has a great track record.

lebeau

If the movie's a Pirates-style smash, there could be other additions. But if the movie's a smash and the additions are well-done, who cares?

Getting upset about changes to the ride based on the announcement of a movie that may or may not ever be released is pretty silly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom