Fantasyland expansion a go - CONFIRMED

Personally, I would have preferred an ocean/sea land added to AK and had the Little Mermaid ride put there but I guess it will work in MK.

As for my opinion on this expansion, I'm on the fence. I like what we are getting, don't get me wrong. The Little Mermaid ride is much needed and the Beauty and the Beast restaurant is something I'll eat at (hopefully the food is of the same caliber as the atmosphere of the restaurant from what the concept art depicts). The landscaping also looks nice and will add much to the atmosphere of that section of the park. I also like the idea of the minilands within FL centred around different movies.

However, there is a lot that is to be desired from this expansion in my opinion at least until more details are announced. Most of the expansion is for basically glorified meet and greets. While these are needed and will be fun to do once, maybe twice, I don't see a lot of re"ride" experience in this. How many times can you really make a birthday card for Aurora before it becomes stale? The meet and greets will probably be one of those things at Disney that I'll go look at and do once or twice like with TTF and then I'll never go back to again. Furthermore, although the landscaping I'm sure will be beautiful, I'm not sure how much you can really enjoy it with a bunch of strollers constantly in your way. Strollers are the primary reason right now why I hate even going to FL. In my experience, I haven't noticed this problem anywhere else at WDW. Hopefully all the pathways in the expansion will be wide enough to accommodate lots of strollers so this problem is less noticeable. I'm also concerned that the expansion is focused on too small of a demographic (i.e. girls under 12). Even one section devoted to maybe Robin Hood would have diminished this.

Anyway, hopefully Disney does this right, and does not cut any corners to save time and money. I'd rather wait a little longer then to see this rushed and fail. However, I think Disney missed the mark by not including something more in this expansion such as rides (not necessarily thrills), or something else that would have complemented, not necessarily replaced the included meet and greets. I can see this expansion being somewhat of a hit and miss and that it will need to be modified after five to 10 years after the novelty wears off, but I will reserve final judgment until after construction is completed and we can actually see what is implemented and how.

Animaniac93-98

Eh, for a cartoon version of Robin Hood, I think they did pretty darn good.:wave:

But the pacing is awful, there's more recycled animation than a Disney animated feature should have and Little John is just Baloo painted brown!

But it was a big hit and lost of people love it and it would make a good addition so I'll hold my opinion.

_Scar

But the pacing is awful, there's more recycled animation than a Disney animated feature should have and Little John is just Baloo painted brown!

But it was a big hit and lost of people love it and it would make a good addition so I'll hold my opinion.

He's right. There's a Youtube video showing all the recycling used...

TheBeatles

Two quick thoughts...

Do you think the castle in the Fantasyland addition can be seen from outside the park and will it compete with Cinderella castle for your attention inside the park?

Since these photo ops are in place of typical Disney attractions, can we expect 1-2 hour waits just to take a picture?

Hummer1676

I`m sure the plan will allow for further northern expansion, even if takes another 40 years. The area north of the cast access road to the railroad is undeveloped though; despite being classified for expansion it would need a lot of heavy engineering, like 1969, to use it as a park area.

Marni, that was my thought i just don't see where else they could develop unless they take down exsisting structures. There are some small areas like where the tomorrowland stage use to be. But for the most part you can't grow to the west anymore it has to be the east. The only area left is a small section between Caribbean and Splash and to the west of Big Thunder north of Splash.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
All the meet and greets are unique. It seems like the fairies clean up the house when you are in it, Cinderella gets nice decor and we see her transform right before your eyes, you get a souped up storytime with Belle, Belle's provincial town with Gaston, Ariel gets an E-ticket, we may be getting an e-ticket of restaurants (I can't wait to see the West Wing, I too am a 17 year old male), Dumbo with no queue.... ect.

All of these things I'm interested in. I'm a fairly young male and I can't wait to see how this stuff gets pulled off. You can't deny they will use state of the art effects to make a great show. I also have a couple of neices who would love this when it is over and they'll be 4.

But thats my point, if you look at the recent editions, upgrades etc they have all, IMHO of course, had one eye on the primary school age group family. Ive only been asking when are Disney going to cut my family demographic a nod and build something we can all do together, out of choice not because there is not much else being offered.

The only comment Ive made about the themeing is that I am concerned that inflated costs there may detract from attraction experience, now I know Jt believes that people travel to Florida to look at building facades but I dont agree. Disney made it by getting the ballance right, and at the risk of sounding too close tpo 74 now they are more keen on ballanced books.

And I would like to think Potterworld will have Disney staging attraction construction announcements at a staggered pace to offset/gain additional kudos from any hype uni gets.

My middle kid (independant young woman) isnt coming in Nov, shes waiting to go next Oct when Potter is open, although I cant stand the books films its wrong to dismiss the following the plagarist JKRowlings work has.

However from what Ive read Manta is the best thrill ride in Orlando these days, so givern Kraken is my fave its a good reason to knock off a dIsnery day and head over to Sea World, as has been said Disney isnt interested in tat sort of crowd anyhow. :animwink:

Just wanted to throw my two cents in,
Pumbas, you say that the recent additions have all had an eye toward the primary school age group. What about American Idol?
And, Toy Story Mania is not specifically geared towards kids, it is truly an all-in-the-family attraction.

Pumbas Nakasak

Just wanted to throw my two cents in,
Pumbas, you say that the recent additions have all had an eye toward the primary school age group. What about American Idol?
And, Toy Story Mania is not specifically geared towards kids, it is truly an all-in-the-family attraction.

Turtle Talk, Nemo at the Living Sea, Nemo the Musical, Toy Story Mania, Poohs Playground, Cabelerros at Mexico, The faioled Stitch stage show, Stitch at AE, Laugh Floor etc all aimed at being suitable for that group, and there is no denying that is how the current marketing positions Disney.

Now last time I rode it looked to me like kids were actually enjoying EE, Soarin, TT, The Mountains, so it doesnt have to be all passive cutsey ideolised childhood. Though Im sure price is a factor in some of the decison making, and something is better than nothing as it keeps the lines in front of me a little lower.

American Idol seems to be a great hit, cheap as chips and all the quality of a good bowel movement.

Just my opinion.

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to be rude or anything, I just don't see the facts adding up to your theory.

Let's do some math. Going back to 2003, lets count up what has been added/refurbed that you consider for all ages and that you consider to be for kids only.

All Ages- American Idol, HOP refurb, SE refurb, HM refurb, POTC refurb, Everest, Soarin', LMA, Narnia, Mission Space

For Kids- TSMM, MILF, Turtle Talk, Nemo, Nemo Musical, Pooh's Spot, Caballeros, Stitch Show, Stitch Ride, Philharmagic

That's 10 for each and I would find that people of all ages and not just kids enjoy TSMM, Nemo Musical, Caballeros, and Philharmagic.

Pumbas Nakasak

Go back even further add in initial builds and some more refurbs and Im sure you’ll find some other things to muddy the waters further, I checked my post and I’m sure I say twice it is my opinion, rather than an undisputable fact. But I cant figure why my opinion seems so dangerous to you. We are afterall talking about my perception of whats happened post EE.

I notice you dont comment on the marketing.

And nice attempt to patronise, but trust me you really dont want to be going down that route.

I do find it odd the amount of new posters who seem to get upset at my posts, you do wonder if the old multiple account monster is rearing its ugly head again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom