Fantasyland expansion a go - CONFIRMED

marsrunner

Definitely agree. VERY much looking forward to The Little Mermaid, but the rest of it will be a complete waste for me and mine. That includes me, my wife, a 14-year old son and a 5-year old daughter. My daughter would rather ride Disney attractions than stand in line for any meet and greet. We do get pics, but its always the spontaneous ones where there might be a character standing somewhere with a handler and a short line (less than 15 minutes. If its a character that she's interested in, we wait in line. But ask her if she wants to go stand in line to meet ANY character that involves a long line and as soon as she sees it she'll say she wants to ride Tower of Terror or Space Mountain.
Not the norm, I'm sure, but I'm certainly thankful she doesn't want to stand in those lines!
Just because you don't care for meet and greets or whatever you want to label them does not mean that all you like is thrill rides. I could ride most of the FL dark rides all day and not get bored. Well, except for Pooh!

SirGoofy

Definitely agree. VERY much looking forward to The Little Mermaid, but the rest of it will be a complete waste for me and mine. That includes me, my wife, a 14-year old son and a 5-year old daughter. My daughter would rather ride Disney attractions than stand in line for any meet and greet. We do get pics, but its always the spontaneous ones where there might be a character standing somewhere with a handler and a short line (less than 15 minutes. If its a character that she's interested in, we wait in line. But ask her if she wants to go stand in line to meet ANY character that involves a long line and as soon as she sees it she'll say she wants to ride Tower of Terror or Space Mountain.
Not the norm, I'm sure, but I'm certainly thankful she doesn't want to stand in those lines!
Just because you don't care for meet and greets or whatever you want to label them does not mean that all you like is thrill rides. I could ride most of the FL dark rides all day and not get bored. Well, except for Pooh!

Yup.

You mentioned wait times, which is something I started thinking about the expansion at lunch today(yes, I think about Disney during lunch).

I'm scared at the possible wait times for some of these things.

Mermaid and Dumbo will be fine. Mermaid because it will be continuously loading, and Dumbo because of the interactive element and the relatively short ride time.

But these Princess experiences have me worried. Even with each having two rooms as it appears on the blueprints. The princesses have over hour waits to meet them now, and they're all together.

Now stick them all in their own "attraction", each of which will take (complete guess) 15-20 minutes each, and you've got a real headache. You could remedy the situation by bringing in a larger number of people at each time, but that ruins the intamicy these things are supposed to give.

I really hope this sin't the case, but I see wait times for these things being through the roof.

tirian

The real question

The real question is this:

Will Disney advertise the birthday card recycling as part of their Green project, or pretend that Aurora keeps all the cards?

janoimagine

The real question is this:

Will Disney advertise the birthday card recycling as part of their Green project, or pretend that Aurora keeps all the cards?

It's funny you mentioned that ... I was thinking along the same lines. I wonder what will become of all those cards.

The Empress Lilly

You mentioned wait times, which is something I started thinking about the expansion at lunch today(yes, I think about Disney during lunch).

But these Princess experiences have me worried. Even with each having two rooms as it appears on the blueprints. The princesses have over hour waits to meet them now, and they're all together.

Now stick them all in their own "attraction", each of which will take (complete guess) 15-20 minutes each, and you've got a real headache. You could remedy the situation by bringing in a larger number of people at each time, but that ruins the intamicy these things are supposed to give.

I really hope this sin't the case, but I see wait times for these things being through the roof.
I think this is exactly what Disney is trying to solve.

The current meet 'n greets are a dead end. Little children waiting in a boring queue for an hour to spend ten seconds with their favourite character. So daddy gets to take his snapshot.

The new 'attractions' are not a poor man's rides, but 'NextGen' meet 'n greets. Instead of a line, kids get to amuse themselves with colouring books or learning a play. Then they have some quality time with a character. The parents get to take their photographs.

The new princess meet/greets solve the same problems, in the same manner, as the new dumbos do: that of the smallest guests standing in the longest lines for the shortest experiences.

Presuming that only 'action' pictures are allowed, and no individual posing for pictures, Disney could solve a major problem in the park experience for younger kids.

Seen in this light, I think the 'princess meet/greet + dueling dumbo' expansion shows a Disney heart, shows attention to customer worries, more than that it is exemplary of Disney failing to deliver good rides.

It also shows that, apart from TLM and some excellent theming, the expansion is not really massively interesting for those above the age of six.
:shrug:

janoimagine

It also shows that, apart from TLM and some excellent theming, the expansion is not really massively interesting for those above the age of six.
:shrug:

While I agree with all of this ... the bright side is, if you see it this way, we will have some very good eye candy to look at with all the additional landscaping and buildings, and that, to me, is a big plus.

_Scar

It's funny you mentioned that ... I was thinking along the same lines. I wonder what will become of all those cards.

I honestly think, since the area is so small, that the faries will be the main crowd pleaser there. I doubt they'd make birthday cards in that tiny house if there's a 30 minute wait for Aurora. Maybe parents can encourage their kids to make birthday cards before the trip to Aurora, and who knows? The person playing Aurora might be able to keep those cards for future memories. A nice little perk to that job.

You guys attack making cards for a princess's imaginary birthday like they're tearing down your beloved Epcot. Lighten up, it's just arts and crafts. If you don't like it, IGNORE IT.

EPCOT Explorer

But see I don't even think that's what most people have a problem with. People aren't asking for thrill rides out the wazzo, they're just asking for something that isn't completely dominated by princesses and 5 year olds.

It really wouldn't have been that difficult to throw something like Hercules, Aladdin, Robin Hood, Sword in the Stone, etc.

Because I don't care what anyone says, the majority of boys are not going to be excited to line up for an hour to make cards for Sleeping Beauty, another hour for knight training, and another hour for storytime with Belle.

It does need balancing, I agree....But then again, maybe the old half of FL takes care of that.

tirian

I honestly think, since the area is so small, that the faries will be the main crowd pleaser there. I doubt they'd make birthday cards in that tiny house if there's a 30 minute wait for Aurora. Maybe parents can encourage their kids to make birthday cards before the trip to Aurora, and who knows? The person playing Aurora might be able to keep those cards for future memories. A nice little perk to that job.

You guys attack making cards for a princess's imaginary birthday like they're tearing down your beloved Epcot. Lighten up, it's just arts and crafts. If you don't like it, IGNORE IT.

DUDE, it's a joke.

janoimagine

Scar ... Relax, it was a joke. I was simply pointing out it is ironic that Disney has taken steps to become a 'greener' company and wondering how they would handle all the waste from the b-day cards. Nothing more, nothing less.

_Scar

It does need balancing, I agree....But then again, maybe the old half of FL takes care of that.

Hopefully Aladin belongs in some other area in WDW. He doesn't belong in this new European Fantasyland. Robin Hood is fine, but it isn't very popular. Hercules is awesome, I agree, and it would be more for boys.

_Scar

I've seen people complaining about birthday cards way before this, and using it as an actual argument against this new expansion. Sorry, but it's true.

krankenstein

Hopefully Aladin belongs in some other area in WDW. He doesn't belong in this new European Fantasyland. Robin Hood is fine, but it isn't very popular. Hercules is awesome, I agree, and it would be more for boys.

Hercules isn't that popular either. :shrug:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Most if not everybody talking about this new FL would agree that it is a great addition standing on its own. It is beautiful, well themed, includes a long awaited E-ticket, and a much needed restaurant.

The problem is, not everyone is interested in meeting princesses or making cards, or participating in a play. Those people, myself included, are not against the FL expansion. We are against the FL expansion if it will hinder development in other areas of WDW for the next 4-5 years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom