Monorail Silver

apatten22

That does sound strange to tell the CM I'll wait.

Having to explain to my daughter "sorry sweetie daddy wants to wait for the red one"

If I have time to play around and ride the rails so to speak I might look for a certain one.

fireworkz

Monorail lime used to have blue delta's, not purple. They used to be the Buzz Lightyear colors.

Ahw yes blue, sorry. But the color has nothing to do with Buzz. The original Lime (Mark IV) was built in '77 and had the blue delta back then. Just wondering if anyone knows when it changed to white? I thought it was still colored on my last trip two years ago, but I could be wrong.

The old colored delta on the stripe was hideous, but understood it was necessary because white would not show up well enough on the lime stripe from a distance.

james15

I can see it now... "Sir, you can board the monorail..." "No, no, thank you, but on recommendation I'm waiting for monorail red, I here it's the smoothest ride on beams."

What look from the CM would you get? I also love that everyone has a preference, mine is "whichever one gets me there first."
I can assure you red is not the smoothest ride on the beam.Along with paint,silver also had the new propulison system and run-stop switch installed.Yellow,red,and now silver have the new systems.

Mr.EPCOT

I just want point out that while Silver has received a pristine new paint job, it was at the expense of the classic Disney World "D" logo next to each Cab door! You can thank the former Monorail area manager for that awful idea to remove them.

A little OT here - When did lime lose the purple delta on it's stripe for a white one? I never noticed this change till now. The white does look much better.

I think it's been about five years, maybe a little more, since they changed it. Most of the Monorail CMs prefer it with the blue segment because it makes it easier to distinguish the train from Yellow. We also appreciate the heritage value of that color scheme as it came about to match the original lime and dark blue WDW Monorail costumes. That's also one of the more reliable, enjoyable trains to drive, by the way.

Many people on this thread say things like, " I prefer to ride ______ color monorail" or "My favorite is _____ "

Just curious for those who have a preference...Why do you like a certain color monorail? What makes your experience for that specific one more enjoyable? Smoother ride? Favorite color?

I'd love to know.

Maybe I'll try several recommendations when I am there in Spetember.

Personally, my absolute favorite is Orange. Great train to drive, one of the more reliable ones, and my favorite color!

I can see it now... "Sir, you can board the monorail..." "No, no, thank you, but on recommendation I'm waiting for monorail red, I here it's the smoothest ride on beams."

What look from the CM would you get? I also love that everyone has a preference, mine is "whichever one gets me there first."

It happens all the time, and most of us just smile, because we all have our favorites, too.

hpyhnt 1000

I just want point out that while Silver has received a pristine new paint job, it was at the expense of the classic Disney World "D" logo next to each Cab door! You can thank the former Monorail area manager for that awful idea to remove them.

That's a shame. Even if that logo was not in use anymore, I still don't understand why you had to get rid of it.

Is there any chance they might be replacing it with the "WDW" logo thats on the steam trains and other water craft?

EPCOT Explorer

I think it's been about five years, maybe a little more, since they changed it. Most of the Monorail CMs prefer it with the blue segment because it makes it easier to distinguish the train from Yellow. We also appreciate the heritage value of that color scheme as it came about to match the original lime and dark blue WDW Monorail costumes. That's also one of the more reliable, enjoyable trains to drive, by the way.

Personally, my absolute favorite is Orange. Great train to drive, one of the more reliable ones, and my favorite color!

It happens all the time, and most of us just smile, because we all have our favorites, too.
:cry:

That's almost as bad as loosing PI.:lookaroun:lol:

Seriously,I will miss those...It was a little pice of Disney History that was still in use.Kinda like the EPCOT Center logo.Is silver the only one missing it?

Mr.EPCOT

That's a shame. Even if that logo was not in use anymore, I still don't understand why you had to get rid of it.

Is there any chance they might be replacing it with the "WDW" logo thats on the steam trains and other water craft?

Not that I know of. I find that they'd do that highly unlikely.

:cry:

That's almost as bad as loosing PI.:lookaroun:lol:

Seriously,I will miss those...It was a little pice of Disney History that was still in use.Kinda like the EPCOT Center logo.Is silver the only one missing it?

Yeah, I think Silver is the only one it's completely gone on. I think there's always been one missing at one end of Purple, if I remember right.

Monorail_Red

Does anybody have pics of the new paint job yet?

If I remember correctly, Monorail Lime lost it's blue deltas when the whole fleet was painted in 2003.

WDWFREAK53

Monorail Lime was my favorite when it had the blue deltas (probably because it was the most unique...Coral has a white one...but it didn't "pop" like the blue on the field of lime :) )

Now my favorite is Silver.

mikemand25

Monorail silver looks great. It is clean and no makrs on it at all. I really do miss the "D" logo on it though and from what I heard it is not going to be replaced. Sorry I was unable to get photos the last time I saw it.
Monorail black is also missing the "D" logo on car 6 of the monorail on both sides. But they have been missing for quite some time on black.

montyz81

Original Poster
Monorail silver looks great. It is clean and no makrs on it at all. I really do miss the "D" logo on it though and from what I heard it is not going to be replaced. Sorry I was unable to get photos the last time I saw it.
Monorail black is also missing the "D" logo on car 6 of the monorail on both sides. But they have been missing for quite some time on black.

Why are they taking the logo off? Seems like such a silly thing to do. It is such a small insignificant homage to the original Mark IV's and the original Disney World logo.

Mr.EPCOT

Yeah, it was Black I was thinking of, not Purple. And I should take back what I said about the former area manager having the idea to remove the "D"s, it sounds like it might be that they just forgot to paint them back on.

Mick G.

My favorites are all based on the Mark IV monorails, which I drove back in '87. Each monorail had distinguishing characteristics, which could be good or bad. My favorite was Silver, since it was the last monorail I drove, and it also saved me from a very embarrassing mistake once. And, it's my new hair color!

I also liked Red, since it was the fastest Mark IV. One night, I was driving the last train out of Epcot, and I had the Epcot lead, and my back-cab dude, JoJo Poon. Otherwise, Red was empty, and we got the speedometer flashing at 45 mph, which was the limit, but we got up to 55 mph before we had to slow down for staging. There was no overspeed thingy on the Mark IV's, and the speed limits worked on the honor system. And not very well at that.

Which reminds me of another story. One of the drivers, I can see his face but not his name, figured out how to stop very quickly. He could enter the Poly station at full throttle, 45 mph, and use both types of brakes to stop the train, often without rocking it on its axles, and really close to the right spot, lining up with the reflector on the railing. The Poly was the only place you could get away with a stunt like that, and it was something to see, if you understood how nearly impossible it was to accomplish. It was still smooth enough that the guests never realized it.

So I still like Silver and Red, although the actual trains are long gone.

Mick

hpyhnt 1000

Ooooh! Very nice! Now about those 11 other monorails...

Actually, the missing "D" isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I still wish it was there, as it was a nice tribute to the past, but I'd rather see the trains get new paint jobs.

BTW, I love how the pilot slowed down as he/she came up to you. Must have known you were trying to get video of the new paint job, huh? ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom