News Disney plans to accelerate Parks investment to $60 billion over 10 years

Disstevefan1

People that say dvc is stupid either didn't but it when it was a good deal or can’t afford it now
PopeIgerDVC.jpg

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
Animal Kingdom:
Indiana Jones Adventure, Encanto dark ride, Central American animals throughout the land Tropical America’s replacing Dinoland AND a Lion King ride for Africa, Zootopia show replacing “It’s tough to be a bug,” and a new night show with more fountains and drones.

Magic Kingdom:
Site work is to begin shortly for what amounts to a Frontierland expansion and more distantly, a new Villains Land the size of Galaxy’s Edge. Additionally, the Moana boat ride originally slated for Animal Kingdom will go in Adventureland between Pirates and Jungle Cruise. Tomorrowland Speedway will be different. Big Thunder Mountain receives an update. Stitch might not be in its current state for much longer, but it probably will not be announced at this D23. New Night Parade is pretty much a lock at this point.

Epcot:
Test Track redo opens summer of 2025, The Spaceship Earth update will likely be announced and will start once Test Track comes back online. I’d expect to hear one more announcement for EPCOT. Keep a close eye on the Figment project on Disney Plus. I've heard Inside Out will find someplace to go at EPCOT, but remember, some of these projects aren't as far along as others.

Hollywood Studios:
New land to replace Launch Bay. Rock n’ Rollercoaster retheme as well. Falcon mission update at HWS and DL.

Disneyland Resort:
New, unique Avatar land using the Shanghai Pirates boat technology at DLR. PeopleMover comes back in a new way at Disneyland Park alongside significant modifications to the land. Hollywoodland will go away. A Disney Springs-esque shopping district will likely be officially announced alongside plans for a new transit configuration for the resort. The Avenger’s E-ticket gets an actual announcement.

Walt Disney Studios:
Gets its own Avatar land and a Lion King land. Other misc. project in the existing part of the park.

Disneyland Parc Paris:
A larger than Soarin’ sum, so perhaps Soarin’/Soaring 2.0, Indiana Jones Adventure, or even a new version of Rise of the Resistance. I’d fully expect either a new land or two new rides including an E-ticket in total. Space Mountain will be back at DLP!

Shanghai Disneyland:
New Marvel Land, Toy Story Mania as well.

Hong Kong Disneyland:
Will get an E-ticket in Tomorrowland still, but I doubt they'll mention it at D23.

Plans can still change, but a lot of this should be announced by or at D23, some of this is long-term, though, and will not be included. Edited for clarity.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Animal Kingdom: Indiana Jones Adventure, Encanto dark ride, Central American animals throughout the land Tropical America’s replacing Dinoland AND a Lion King ride for Africa, Zootopia show replacing “It’s tough to be a bug,” and a new night show with more fountains and drones.

Magic Kingdom:
Site work to begin shortly for what amounts to a Frontierland expansion and a new Villains Land the size of Galaxy’s Edge. Additionally, the Moana boat ride originally slated for Animal Kingdom will go in Adventureland between Pirates and Jungle Cruise. Tomorrowland Speedway will be different. Big Thunder Mountain receives an update. Stitch will not be in its current state for much longer.

Epcot: Test Track redo opens summer 2025, Spaceship Earth update likely announced and will start once Test Track comes back online. I’d expect to hear one more announcement for EPCOT. Keep a close eye on the Figment project on Disney Plus.

Hollywood Studios: New land to replace Launch Bay. Rock n’ Rollercoaster retheme as well.

Disneyland Resort: New, unique Avatar land using the Shanghai pirates boat technology at DLR. PeopleMover comes back in a new way at Disneyland Park alongside significant changes to the land. Hollywoodland will go away. A Disney Springs-esque shopping district will be officially announced alongside plans for a new transit configuration for the resort. The Avenger’s E-ticket gets an actual announcement.

Walt Disney Studios:
Gets its own Avatar land and a Lion King land. Other misc. project in the existing part of the park.

Disneyland Parc Paris:
A larger than Soarin’ sum, so perhaps Soarin’/Soaring 2.0, Indiana Jones Adventure, or even a new version of Rise of the Resistance. I’d fully expect either a new land or two new rides including an E-ticket in total.

Shanghai:
New Marvel Land, Toy Story Mania as well.

Hong Kong will get an E-ticket in Tomorrowland still.
Are you ok? Do I need to send the paramedics with a AED over? 👨🏻‍⚕️🚑

BrianLo

I'm sure EU could pull from both (per-existing Universal) parks but I'm not sure it'll offset the number of people that'll take advantage of new multi-day tickets Universal is sure to start offering to entice longer stays.

This would be incredibly, incredibly unprecedented. All second gate additions have resulted in about a decade for their primary parks to recover their previous attendance peaks.

I’m just trying to set expectations that USF attendance declines are expected and totally fine. The resort will gain 25%-ish attendance year one and then slow roll the other 25% over the next 5-10 years.

I expect Epic will be incredibly popular, but half at the expense of the other two parks and the other half organic length of stay or new customers for the resort.

BrianLo

Wait a minute…did that yutz actually say the piecemeal crap they did over the last 10 years is a “counter” to the gigantic new park the competition is opening next year?

No, he half implied Universal is responding to Disney, which isn’t entirely untrue. Though an aggressively positive spin. The other half is that they’ve front loaded some of their response already and are backloading the other half, without commiting to lumpy investment. The other “fall-guys” time notwithstanding.

People that say dvc is stupid either didn't but it when it was a good deal or can’t afford it now
I don’t really consider DVC an anchor.

You just have to buy at a very low price when Disney isn’t buying back points.

I have my Boardwalk points at $82 a point so even though the resale market is poo poo right now I can still sell and make money.

This is important. The argument that DVC owners are stupid and not holding Disney to a higher standard is not bearing out. In fact it’s the complete opposite, almost all of Disney’s harshest critics on this forum right now are long term DVC owners.

It turns out when you financially lock people in for 50 years, they actually start getting critical of the ancillary product you offer. It’s worse for Disney because those critic don’t bounce off in the same way the Smith family from Colorado does after moving on from their second ‘once in a lifetime’ trip.

Jrb1979

This would be incredibly, incredibly unprecedented. All second gate additions have resulted in about a decade for their primary parks to recover their previous attendance peaks.

I’m just trying to set expectations that USF attendance declines are expected and totally fine. The resort will gain 25%-ish attendance year one and then slow roll the other 25% over the next 5-10 years.

I expect Epic will be incredibly popular, but half at the expense of the other two parks and the other half organic length of stay or new customers for the resort.
I don't know. I know reservations played a part but the last attendance report that came out Universal's parks had more attendance than AK and Epcot.

I could see AK and Epcot again being the parks that lose attendance to Universal. I get this is a Disney centric site with WDW being the main boards but Universal is not as bad as many make it out to be.

BrianLo

I don't know. I know reservations played a part but the last attendance report that came out Universal's parks had more attendance than AK and Epcot.

I could see AK and Epcot again being the parks that lose attendance to Universal. I get this is a Disney centric site with WDW being the main boards but Universal is not as bad as many make it out to be.

It’s never happened before though. At either Orlando operator, Anaheim, Tokyo, Paris. All the original parks shed attendance for a decade+ to their subsequent gates, until the total resort attendance officially doubled. It’s really unrealistic to set that expectation on Epic. Or rather really unrealistic for USF. New gates don’t instantly fulfill their entire occupancy goal day one. I’m even being extremely generous by saying USF attendance could rebound to its previous peak within five years, it’s usually a decade.

Jrb1979

It’s never happened before though. At either Orlando operator, Anaheim, Tokyo, Paris. All the original parks shed attendance for a decade+ to their subsequent gates, until the total resort attendance officially doubled. It’s really unrealistic to set that expectation on Epic. Or rather really unrealistic for USF. New gates don’t instantly fulfill their entire occupancy goal day one. I’m even being extremely generous by saying USF attendance could rebound to its previous peak within five years, it’s usually a decade.
I'm not disagreeing with that. You make it sound like Disney will always be king Universal will always be second. People will continue to go to Disney and add on Universal for 2 days like they do now.

Yes USF will lose some attendance so will AK and Epcot.

BrianLo

I'm not disagreeing with that. You make it sound like Disney will always be king Universal will always be second. People will continue to go to Disney and add on Universal for 2 days like they do now.

Yes USF will lose some attendance so will AK and Epcot.

I literally didn’t say or imply any of that…

I’m trying to set realistic attendance measures so people don’t call it a colossal failure when USF attendance declines. It has absolutely nothing to do with Disney.

Universal resort will realistically attract 50%+ more guest days within 5-10 years. But not immediately in 2025. That’s all.

Disone

Disney converted Splash into Tiana in less than 1.5 years, more than doable to fill that time with more than enough entertainment/festivals to entertain APs. My hope is that whatever additional attractions they have planned, come online quickly after that in succession.
I just don't understand why they have to flip an attraction instead of just build a new one.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

There are plans for new parks at both Disneyland Resort Anaheim and Walt Disney World after all of these expansions (and a few others).

They need to do a lot at DAK and DHS, as well as more work at EPCOT, before they think about building a 5th park.

EPCOT doesn't really need expansions, especially compared to the other two, but it does need to fix several existing spaces. A new World Showcase pavilion or two and a couple of additional rides up there would be great, but not really necessary if they didn't have some old Future World pavilions wasting away.

DAK and DHS, on the other hand, both need at least double the amount of their current attractions.

MagicHappens1971

Where exactly are they going to fit this mythical new park in Anaheim?
IMG_2839.jpeg

While I don’t think Disney will be building a new park at WDW for at least 15-20 years, they do seem to intend to build one at DLR soon.

These are the “hypothetical plans” they submitted to the city of Anaheim and were approved. You can find out more about it on disneylandforward.com

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Where exactly are they going to fit this mythical new park in Anaheim?

The Toy Story Parking Lot and adjacent Cast Member Parking Lot combined are about 75 acres. By comparison, this would be larger than Disney Studios Paris, Hong Kong Disneyland, and DCA. If they can find a place for a big enough parking garage to replace this lot, it could be a viable option for a separate third gate.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
View attachment 777433
While I don’t think Disney will be building a new park at WDW for at least 15-20 years, they do seem to intend to build one at DLR soon.

These are the “hypothetical plans” they submitted to the city of Anaheim and were approved. You can find out more about it on disneylandforward.com
The words “intend” and “soon” appear to be highly subject to interpretation here

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The Toy Story Parking Lot and adjacent Cast Member Parking Lot combined are about 75 acres. By comparison, this would be larger than Disney Studios Paris, Hong Kong Disneyland, and DCA. If they can find a place for a big enough parking garage to replace this lot, it could be a viable option for a separate third gate.
Notice you picked 3 parks that were ill advised and you would not want to replicate?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom