News Disney plans to accelerate Parks investment to $60 billion over 10 years

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There are financial reasons they couldn’t build post-COVID. Those things have been addressed, mostly related to other segments of the company as you are well aware.

The company internally views the parks now as the biggest growth potential and Iger is putting a legitimate effort to right the ship and is including Walt Disney Imagineering at every step of the process, including being back legends like Bruce Vaughn and Joe Rhode. They are not the only ones.

They’re basically about to add over $2B to each park in the world. What on Earth do you want them to do? Loads of this massive construction will begin in earnest over the next 12 months. Times have changed.
I’ve heard the speech

fgmnt

The “financial reasons” is that they foolishly spent billions on stuff like Willow, The Mysterious Benedict Society, The Marvels, Lightyear, Strange World, and Artemis Fowl.
I don’t think you’re wrong but I would say you’re omitting the Hulu transaction closing. That was the largest hangup affecting the whole company; the CFTOD affecting the Florida property.

There are no more acquisitions to close.

There are no more material legal limbos to clear.

The proxy war is dead.

ESPN has gotten its first big infusion, with the NFL media equity swap likely going official before training camp if not sooner.

The Studios and distribution channels are hopefully being righted.

There could be no greater charge out of Burbank than to unleash a new direction on the parks. Time to step up to the plate and make it happen.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don’t think you’re wrong but I would say you’re omitting the Hulu transaction closing. That was the largest hangup affecting the whole company; the CFTOD affecting the Florida property.

There are no more acquisitions to close.

There are no more material legal limbos to clear.

The proxy war is dead.

ESPN has gotten its first big infusion, with the NFL media equity swap likely going official before training camp if not sooner.

The Studios and distribution channels are hopefully being righted.

There could be no greater charge out of Burbank than to unleash a new direction on the parks. Time to step up to the plate and make it happen.
Well they seem to be untangling some of the mess moving forward?
Did we get a final bill for hula?
And I assume that disaster fox bill is improving now?

Indeed, I wasn't expecting all this announced commitment to new attractions until the beginning of next fiscal year (Oct).
Committing to parks doesn’t really effect a particular fiscal year…mainly because they can cancel whenever they want and the investment is spread out over multiple years

Last edited:

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
IMHO, its a tempest in a teapot. As a consumer option it will either be better or another substitute offering will take its place. Fortunately my exposure is limited to nostalgia and not tied down with anything like a DVC boat anchor.

fgmnt

Well they seem to be untangling sole of the mess moving forward?
Did we get a final bill for hula?
And I assume that disaster fox bill is improving now?
No matter what you could think of the 20th Century deal, we’re what, 5 years out from it? The Hulu piece was the last hit the company had to absorb. My impression has also been be 20th Century studios have been doing a lot better than the other studio brands. No one is coming to squeeze Disney out of money anymore except for Disney.

I would love to know who Mr Iger spoke to about these changes that said they were good. I think most new Disney releases were met with harsh criticism or mediocre excitement. I think it is great what a spinster upper level mamgt is, he is trying to make us believe that the glaciel rate at which Disney finishes projests in planned...."spread out instead of having everything at once." I do have to say that is quite a deceptive play on words. Kudos Bob, keep believing that

doctornick

That show was excellent and it's a shame it has been cancelled. Let's hope Percy has a better fate.

indeed. I actually would argue that Mysterious Benedict Society is the best series to date produced for Disney+ so I was extremely disappointed that it was removed from the service. Oddly, it was at least popular enough to warrant a second season but that may have been from a time when they were more open to renewing series.

If it ever comes back, I would highly recommend for anyone to give it a shot.

Trauma

IMHO, its a tempest in a teapot. As a consumer option it will either be better or another substitute offering will take its place. Fortunately my exposure is limited to nostalgia and not tied down with anything like a DVC boat anchor.
I don’t really consider DVC an anchor.

You just have to buy at a very low price when Disney isn’t buying back points.

I have my Boardwalk points at $82 a point so even though the resale market is poo poo right now I can still sell and make money.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don’t really consider DVC an anchor.

You just have to buy at a very low price when Disney isn’t buying back points.

I have my Boardwalk points at $82 a point so even though the resale market is poo poo right now I can still sell and make money.
People that say dvc is stupid either didn't buy it when it was a good deal or can’t afford it now

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom