News Bob Iger outlines the need to transform the Walt Disney Company resulting in 7000 job losses and $5.5 billion in cost savings

KeithVH

See, I always had the impression they promoted from within as much as possible. Which I think is a very good thing. But I look online and there are a lot of senior roles advertised. Stuff you need people with both breadth and depth. 1At least 10+ years worth. Not something you'd put somebody in place just 2-3 years out of school. So who ends up in those jobs?

I did a lot of interviewing/hiring at my last job. So when I look at the requirements and quals lists, I have a fair idea of what the industry is paying. For example, Microsoft used to pay around the 66th percentile (think it's a little better lately). While FAANG definitely paid more than MS. Which makes me wonder - if Disney professional roles are poorly paid, does that mean people are taking a pay loss and devaluing their skills or is Disney actually getting just what they pay for?

DopeyRunner

See, I always had the impression they promoted from within as much as possible. Which I think is a very good thing. But I look online and there are a lot of senior roles advertised. Stuff you need people with both breadth and depth. 1At least 10+ years worth. Not something you'd put somebody in place just 2-3 years out of school. So who ends up in those jobs?

I did a lot of interviewing/hiring at my last job. So when I look at the requirements and quals lists, I have a fair idea of what the industry is paying. For example, Microsoft used to pay around the 66th percentile (think it's a little better lately). While FAANG definitely paid more than MS. Which makes me wonder - if Disney professional roles are poorly paid, does that mean people are taking a pay loss and devaluing their skills or is Disney actually getting just what they pay for?
I mean MDE App has questionable performance and stability. I’ve heard from people have worked in some capacity on it that it’s just a bad architecture that was/is cobbled together (not sure how true that is). That can be a symptom of “get what you pay for” as well as outsourcing part or all of the work.

I do see a high number of postings, more than you’d expect from a company expecting multiple layoff events, but it could also be an attempt to bring in fresh ideas. Maybe even pick up some of the MAANG devs that were recently laid off?

KeithVH

Well, someone had pointed out to check the salaries posted for CA. A Data Integration Manager goes for $130-180K. Maybe a smidge low (especially for Glendale area) for that skill but at least in the ballpark. Which makes me wonder whether Orlando tends to pay less for equivalent work or what. And then you start thinking, if everyone is paid so low for whatever skills are there, how hard would it be to be a rockstar in such an environment?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I’m gonna leak a corporate secret:

Probably the main reason they’re moving stuff to Florida - who is literally crapping on them in public to line their pockets - is to bust salaries and lower standards

this message will self destruct

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

Probably the main reason they’re moving stuff to Florida - who is literally crapping on them in public to line their pockets - is to bust salaries and lower standards

I'll agree with the salary portion, but talent isn't necessarily linked to how much they are paid. Thats fairly obvious in corporate America.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'll agree with the salary portion, but talent isn't necessarily linked to how much they are paid. Thats fairly obvious in corporate America.
True

But this is another awful look from Iger.

The minute - actually shouldn’t have taken a minute - they pulled the RCID stunt
Bob should have cancelled that and cut a deal with Sacramento. And they would have been happy to do it.

Tax evasion and depressing wages are the way of the past
not the future

Last edited:

KeithVH

OK. That makes perfect sense with some other info I have (from a long time Big 4 perspective). Pretty much the same thoughts. So that would make me think technology orientation rather than specific to the Mouse only.

That sucks.

KeithVH

I mean MDE App has questionable performance and stability. I’ve heard from people have worked in some capacity on it that it’s just a bad architecture that was/is cobbled together (not sure how true that is). That can be a symptom of “get what you pay for” as well as outsourcing part or all of the work.

I do see a high number of postings, more than you’d expect from a company expecting multiple layoff events, but it could also be an attempt to bring in fresh ideas. Maybe even pick up some of the MAANG devs that were recently laid off?
I wonder if part of that delivery quality is the outcome of their payscales? I know if I was stuck in an IT job still working on XP and Win7, I'd be seriously dissatisfied with my environment (at least it was XP and 7 last time I checked 2018). As for the app, well, we could probably write a book on that. I won't complain too much 'cause I don't know all their SWOT or variables. Then again, that's what I expect the senior managers (not C-level) to create - conditions where an app functions as best as possible. Without knowing their storage situation or their data architecture, it's tough to judge. Maybe I'll get hired to go fix it. Or maybe they're just happy with the way things are and no one wants to throw more money at it.

DopeyRunner

I wonder if part of that delivery quality is the outcome of their payscales? I know if I was stuck in an IT job still working on XP and Win7, I'd be seriously dissatisfied with my environment (at least it was XP and 7 last time I checked 2018). As for the app, well, we could probably write a book on that. I won't complain too much 'cause I don't know all their SWOT or variables. Then again, that's what I expect the senior managers (not C-level) to create - conditions where an app functions as best as possible. Without knowing their storage situation or their data architecture, it's tough to judge. Maybe I'll get hired to go fix it. Or maybe they're just happy with the way things are and no one wants to throw more money at it.
Well, if you ever get the chance, let me know and I’ll gladly join you!

MR.Dis

Disney pays horrifically for their IT staff. My brother is an app engineer who works for a big tech company, working the equivalent role in Disney would result in making approximately one third of what he makes right now, no exaggeration. He explored the possibility about a year ago.
This reminds me of the great Magic Band fiasco. I followed this story closely as my SIL found himself in the same situation with a major company. The Magic Band technology was really cutting edge at the time. The IT staff developed something that had never been done before: Tickets, room key, reservation all on one wrist band. Rolled out in 2013. Literally the month it was rolled out, the entire staff was called into a meeting (all thinking to get congratulations and bonuses). Instead they were informed they were all being let go, AND if they wanted the severance package they had to sign an agreement to train their replacements. As it turned out just about all the replacements were H1B1 Visa holders, at salaries that were pennies on a dollar the existing employees were paid. One problem, H1B1 Visa holders are supposed to be workers on jobs where qualified workers could not be found. Since these new workers were taking the place of current employees, what Disney did was illegal, or at least that is what the law suite that followed stated. This is when the story went cold, I kept trying to follow up to see how this all ended, but nothing. All I could surmise was that Disney realized they were going to lose and made a massive settlement with non disclosure agreements. So how did my SIL fare. His company saw what happened to Disney, so they closed their entire IT and outsourced the whole department. The fact the company they outsourced with had mostly H1B1 Visa's did not matter since the company itself did not hire them. Three years later the company slowly re built their IT department, you guessed it, using mostly H1B1 Visa holders. I never have trusted upper management in any company I have ever worked for and never will.

KeithVH

This reminds me of the great Magic Band fiasco. I followed this story closely as my SIL found himself in the same situation with a major company. The Magic Band technology was really cutting edge at the time. The IT staff developed something that had never been done before: Tickets, room key, reservation all on one wrist band. Rolled out in 2013. Literally the month it was rolled out, the entire staff was called into a meeting (all thinking to get congratulations and bonuses). Instead they were informed they were all being let go, AND if they wanted the severance package they had to sign an agreement to train their replacements. As it turned out just about all the replacements were H1B1 Visa holders, at salaries that were pennies on a dollar the existing employees were paid. One problem, H1B1 Visa holders are supposed to be workers on jobs where qualified workers could not be found. Since these new workers were taking the place of current employees, what Disney did was illegal, or at least that is what the law suite that followed stated. This is when the story went cold, I kept trying to follow up to see how this all ended, but nothing. All I could surmise was that Disney realized they were going to lose and made a massive settlement with non disclosure agreements. So how did my SIL fare. His company saw what happened to Disney, so they closed their entire IT and outsourced the whole department. The fact the company they outsourced with had mostly H1B1 Visa's did not matter since the company itself did not hire them. Three years later the company slowly re built their IT department, you guessed it, using mostly H1B1 Visa holders. I never have trusted upper management in any company I have ever worked for and never will.
I remember this! And the stink it caused in IT circles. I even remember at least one thread here on the lawsuit with a couple of the CMs participating. But you're right, the story just kinda died. I'm sure with the upcoming 4,000 list, there will be new stories. But, like other companies, we won't know context, whether there was over-hiring, or if someone Peter-principled. Amazon is saying so long to 9K today. Yet we don't generate 25 pages of thread about them (do we really care). Yet we question Disney and armchair QB their actions.

Not at anyone or pointing fingers. Just realizing this story has way more than one side (ours).

Disstevefan1

I remember this! And the stink it caused in IT circles. I even remember at least one thread here on the lawsuit with a couple of the CMs participating. But you're right, the story just kinda died. I'm sure with the upcoming 4,000 list, there will be new stories. But, like other companies, we won't know context, whether there was over-hiring, or if someone Peter-principled. Amazon is saying so long to 9K today. Yet we don't generate 25 pages of thread about them (do we really care). Yet we question Disney and armchair QB their actions.

Not at anyone or pointing fingers. Just realizing this story has way more than one side (ours).
Amazon is laying off 9 thousand?
TWDC and its theme parks are..... Invincible.
I've got a bad feeling about this.

JoeCamel

Amazon is laying off 9 thousand?
TWDC and its theme parks are..... Invincible.
I've got a bad feeling about this.

Image result for how many amazon employees

The combined number of full- and part-time employees of Amazon.com has increased significantly since 2017. Amazon's headcount peaked in 2021 when the American multinational e-commerce company employed 1,608,000 full- and part-time employees, not counting external contractors.Feb 17, 2023

223,000 employees

The Walt Disney Company has 223,000 employees.

Disstevefan1

View attachment 705076

The combined number of full- and part-time employees of Amazon.com has increased significantly since 2017. Amazon's headcount peaked in 2021 when the American multinational e-commerce company employed 1,608,000 full- and part-time employees, not counting external contractors.Feb 17, 2023

223,000 employees

The Walt Disney Company has 223,000 employees.
I feel better for Amazon and worse for TWDC.

I have to say, Amazon is much more magical than Disney.

A single click in Amazon in the morning and you item is at your door the same day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom