News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

celluloid

It's almost identical in length to Rock N Rollercoaster but yet few complain about that being too short... weird...

RnR was built in 1998 and opened in 1999. Over two decades ago, and only 5 years after the world's most amazing and known thrill ride opened directly across from it. Launches for coasters of that speed were still in infancy, onboard audio of that caliber had never been done, it only has one actual slow down block break whereas Tron has them frequently in its short journey and the thing is completely indoors with multiple inversions. Disney had also just opened a brand-new theme park on their property a year prior, the biggest theme park they had ever built before. Not to mention the numerous projects and new attractions around the rest of the resort.

Tron is the first new ground up attraction in MK in a very long time. It was built next to the most famous and iconic indoor rollercoaster on the planet that will be going on 50 years old soon. Disney's other biggest newest project is an indoor coaster at EPCOT that has a better level of theming, length and more lauded unique qualities.

Their biggest competitors have all recently built or are building launched themed coasters that are lengthier and arguably more interesting. They have also been completed much faster.

The ride is lackluster for the industry standard by most accounts, especially the standards of the resort it was built in.

Last edited:

doctornick

It's almost identical in length to Rock N Rollercoaster but yet few complain about that being too short... weird...

Yeah, I'm not sure I get that Tron is somehow uniquely short among Disney rides with RNR around. They seem remarkably similar in terms of ride experience but Tron looks much more interesting in terms of theming/visuals.

No Name

RnRC doesn’t have four brake runs. It doesn’t enter a building partway through, turn twice, brake, turn twice, brake, turn twice, break and that’s it. Tron feels like it finishes without ever truly getting started. Something can feel much shorter because of the way it’s designed and that’s the case with the Tron coaster.

“I can’t fit in the tron seat”
Fun fact, the average American adult weighs 34 pounds more than the average adult in China! I’m thinking the problem isn’t with the restraints…

Tom P.

Tron: Legacy was fun. I saw it in the theater in its original run and enjoyed it. But it's far from being a beloved classic or even a cult classic. When you hear it mentioned, if people know it, the most common thing you hear praised is its soundtrack (and rightly so). But that's about it. From a visual standpoint, they did a few impressive things, but there's nothing amazingly innovative or different about it's aesthetic. It's a good CGI flick and it looks like a good CGI flick.

The original Tron, however, was the groundbreaking one. It is absolutely a cult classic. It has a visual style that was never done before or since. No other movie in history has ever been made using those techniques, many of which were literally invented for the film. Even today, with all the modern CGI eye candy that we are used to, it is visually striking. Not to mention the performances in it from the actors are wonderful and the score is beautiful as well.

In short, I think Disney has made a mistake here by focusing entirely on Legacy and not at all on the original. I know that the Hollywood mindset is always that "new is better" and, also, Legacy was made during the Iger years. But I think a ride that was based on the style of the original, or at least had some elements of both films, would have been a better choice.

J4546

I don't think this is an exact copy like many people here said, it has a much longer ending tunnel to the unload station doesn't it?

_caleb

Tron: Legacy was fun. I saw it in the theater in its original run and enjoyed it. But it's far from being a beloved classic or even a cult classic. When you hear it mentioned, if people know it, the most common thing you hear praised is its soundtrack (and rightly so). But that's about it. From a visual standpoint, they did a few impressive things, but there's nothing amazingly innovative or different about it's aesthetic. It's a good CGI flick and it looks like a good CGI flick.

The original Tron, however, was the groundbreaking one. It is absolutely a cult classic. It has a visual style that was never done before or since. No other movie in history has ever been made using those techniques, many of which were literally invented for the film. Even today, with all the modern CGI eye candy that we are used to, it is visually striking. Not to mention the performances in it from the actors are wonderful and the score is beautiful as well.

In short, I think Disney has made a mistake here by focusing entirely on Legacy and not at all on the original. I know that the Hollywood mindset is always that "new is better" and, also, Legacy was made during the Iger years. But I think a ride that was based on the style of the original, or at least had some elements of both films, would have been a better choice.
I think the thinking is that Legacy is something they can make more of, whereas Tron is classic, but old. If they theme the ride after the original, it comes across as a vote of no-confidence in Legacy and doesn't set them up to expand the IP into things like D+ series, games, etc.

Jrb1979

~whispers~ Hagrid’s Motorbike Adventure isn’t actually a bike coaster…
It doesn't have the pooh sized friendly issues that Tron has.

Don't get me wrong it looks like a fun coaster but like was posted earlier. For a coaster in 2023 it should be much better.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Since they were mentioned:

1675559097269.png

Domestic Video Sales:
  • TRON: $5 Million [plus another $70 Million wholesale merchandise sales]
  • TRON Legacy: $61 Million
  • Tomorrowland: $12 Million
Both TRONs made up for their theatrical deficit in the after markets.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom