The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Lilofan

Yeah,. had the same issue with KFC in Houston.
I think it was the introduction of the darn cheap oil similar to the one used in McDonalds'.
Ironically, they have changed the oil here. No issues anymore, at most some acid reflux for the greasy food.
I worked fast food back in the day. Fryer oil get drain and fill with new oil depending on the sales of the business. Slower sales franchises change 2-3x a week, franchises with more sales change 1x a day. When oil isn’t changed regularly there is a different taste and smell of the food . When the health inspector comes by unannounced they are more concerned about inspecting food prep, food temps , cleanliness , etc. When one can read online on restaurant violations, rarely cooking oil is a concern.

Lilofan

We got down to -8. Feels like -30 which ironically is only -35 Celsius.

Mount Washington got down to -103 with the wind Friday before the temps went down.
I recall back in the day when bumper stickers were the thing. I remember station wagons have stickers " I climbed MT Washington ". When I vacationed in La Paz, Bolivia ( 13K ft above sea level ) our tourist vehicle climbed Cerro Chacaltaya to the top through winding roads with no guard rails to 17.5K ft above sea level to the simple mountain refuge where the staff lived . Then we walked to the top of the summit to get to 18K ft above sea level. Even though I acclimated to the high altitude by chewing on coca leaves and drinking coca tea frequently in previous days, I was still out of gas in my lungs when we hit the summit.

Cesar R M

I worked fast food back in the day. Fryer oil get drain and fill with new oil depending on the sales of the business. Slower sales franchises change 2-3x a week, franchises with more sales change 1x a day. When oil isn’t changed regularly there is a different taste and smell of the food . When the health inspector comes by unannounced they are more concerned about inspecting food prep, food temps , cleanliness , etc. When one can read online on restaurant violations, rarely cooking oil is a concern.
its not about the oil recycling.
Its about the type of oil.

The worst for examples I heard, are the coconut oil and the "treated" pork fat oil.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
It's up to -9 here this morning, with the wind chill at -28. (I heard the winds howling outside all night.) So, it's warming up. :p

I'm actually too warm inside at the moment, because I put the thermostat up last night to 68. Only did that because a plumber on the local news suggested people put up their heat overnight in this weather -- to prevent frozen pipes. Later on, it can go back down to around 61, after the outside temps get back up to 20 or so.

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I think it depends on the department.

My first job out of college was IT. IT people are the greatest people you'll ever work with...but they're full of the drama.

Then I went to finance with my second job. I'm still with that company, but in my first role, I worked more closely with sales. Sales...omg. They cause so much drama. I didn't even have to be in the office with them for them to cause drama. I'm friends with one guy in sales and he routinely keeps me updated now that I'm remote. 🤣

One of my favorites was this girl in our west coast office. My first six months in, I found an error that she made that made her order look like it had -$16k gross profit. Well, when I caught it and went back and made the adjustment so it would NOT be negative, she acted like it was my fault...nope, she didn't follow the very clear SOP.

Basically her entire team was trouble. Another time, I told her she wasn't allowed to send a quote to a customer lower than standard pricing unless she had vendor approval. I got such argument from her...but we could literally get in legal trouble by doing that. She argued it wasn't in the SOP, so it must not be a rule. Well, guess who wrote that SOP and could have that changed and updated the next day? Yup, that was me. (Oh, she got her manager involved, who also tried to argued the same thing. I had to get my boss involved and the vendor manager involved in order to tell them I was correct).

Then that entire team was fired because they weren't meeting their numbers and hadn't been in a long time. But problem child quit right before the firings, probably because she knew she was going to get fired. When a team member leaves, they're supposed to set their out of office to say "I'm no longer with company XYZ. Please contact salessupport@abc.com for assistance." Nope, she put "I'm out ***ches. Have a nice life."

There's been other drama, but she was memorable. Now the types of drama I encounter is mostly from upper management...and AP. 🙄 But I do get shielded from it a good bit because I work from home. My favorite team member is a gossip, though, so I still hear a good bit. 🤣
Yah, we've all had our experiences in the workforce. Bottom line, it all came down to individuals, and I don't recall it ever being any specific dept. over one or another.

Goofyernmost

Yea, in the 46+ years we’ve lived here, I’ve never seen it this bad. On a brighter note, the vast majority of trees appear not to have suffered that fate, but, however, have lost a lot of branches.
There are so many trees here in Central Texas that it really won’t even make a noticeable dent, but, those property owners that were once averse to trimming their revered ( :hilarious: ;)) trees back, may think otherwise after this event.
And, it’s not like trees don’t grow back…!!! ;):)
It is costly too. One year I had two really large trees knocked down by a downburst during a storm. I didn't have the equipment so I ran an add saying that I had a whole lot or of firewood available for the cutting up and taking away. That was at my nursing home and I was out of town the day they came. They cut them up and hauled them away except for about a huge ( and I do mean a huge ) pile of small branches, still covered with leaves. I had to rent a chipper shredder to clean up the rest. I did end up with a lot of mulch for they yard. I did like the trees though and really missed looking out in the back yard. As a bit of good fortune both fell in the only place they could have and not hit a building or some cars. No damage except to the wallet and some lawn.

Goofyernmost

Never been to one of those restaurants, so that's probably why I've never had that dish.
Except with some breakfast items, grits are almost always optional or as a side in Cracker Barrel. I love Cracker Barrel. On my many road trips to Florida from Vermont along I-95 there is one about every 30 miles. I have one 3 miles from my current home.

I know this is going to sound silly and I might have mentioned it before but since I am still working on getting my back repaired, road trips are not really doable like they once were. Ever so often, when cabin fever gets the best of me, I will take what I call a mini-road trip that involves making a loop from Raleigh to I-95 and stopping for lunch at one of the Cracker Barrels on I-95 that I used to frequent when making my Florida runs and ride a little way up I-95 and take an alternate route back to Raleigh. About 130 miles in a giant circle. Brings back a lot of memories of times that I miss more than I can express.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Except with some breakfast items, grits are almost always optional or as a side in Cracker Barrel. I love Cracker Barrel. On my many road trips to Florida from Vermont along I-95 there is one about every 30 miles. I have one 3 miles from my current home.

I know this is going to sound silly and I might have mentioned it before but since I am still working on getting my back repaired, road trips are not really doable like they once were. Ever so often, when cabin fever gets the best of me, I will take what I call a mini-road trip that involves making a loop from Raleigh to I-95 and stopping for lunch at one of the Cracker Barrels on I-95 that I used to frequent when making my Florida runs and ride a little way up I-95 and take an alternate route back to Raleigh. About 130 miles in a giant circle. Brings back a lot of memories of times that I miss more than I can express.
Well, mini-trips are still trips. Happy to hear that at least shorter trips are still doable for you. Getting in a change of scenery (doesn't have to be a huge distance) is always uplifting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom