News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

MrPromey

MK has 2-3 times the rides of each of the other parks. Put another 15 rides in each of the other parks and I think you'll find their popularity matches that of the MK.
I don’t think it’ll ever be a long-term 1:1 because I think people will always see MK as a must-do where the other three will remain more interchangeable in that regard, depending on which ones have the latest new things but they could certainly narrow the gap a LOT if they’d seriously consider that approach.

I don’t think it even needs to be all rides per se - just all-day continuous attractions (which most live shows, unfortunately, aren’t) and the ones that are rides don’t have to be all e-tickets as long as the mix and integration is thought out.

But we’re talking about what they’d need to do to make guests happy. In the modern era of analytics, that doesn't necessarily appear to translate to more near-term profit for them unless there is a serious continuous attendance downturn they can’t fix with promotions.

It fixes problems we as the customers perceive there being but unless they start really losing money or there’s some major problem that results in half a dozen people being trampled to death as the crowd attempts to flee the area in front of the castle during a fireworks show in an uncontrolled panic, do they (management) even care that it’s packed uncomfortably tight most nights?

epcotWSC

I don't think reducing the number of attractions is a reasonable way to limit attendance. There must be a better way.
To me, the answer is to build more. If there's not enough space for everyone, you expand. Disney just doesn't want to spend the money especially if they're not necessarily getting more attendance out of it.

Magenta Panther

I don’t think it’ll ever be a long-term 1:1 because I think people will always see MK as a must-do where the other three will remain more interchangeable in that regard, depending on which ones have the latest new things but they could certainly narrow the gap a LOT if they’d seriously consider that approach.

I don’t think it even needs to be all rides per se - just all-day continuous attractions (which most live shows, unfortunately, aren’t) and the ones that are rides don’t have to be all e-tickets as long as the mix and integration is thought out.

But we’re talking about what they’d need to do to make guests happy. In the modern era of analytics, that doesn't necessarily appear to translate to more near-term profit for them unless there is a serious continuous attendance downturn they can’t fix with promotions.

It fixes problems we as the customers perceive there being but unless they start really losing money or there’s some major problem that results in half a dozen people being trampled to death as the crowd attempts to flee the area in front of the castle during a fireworks show in an uncontrolled panic, do they (management) even care that it’s packed uncomfortably tight most nights?
To many if not most folks, The Magic Kingdom is what epitomizes Disney. Not Avatar. Not Star Wars. Not Marvel. Mickey, Donald, the Castle, Pirates of the Caribbean, Splash Mountain, the Seven Dwarfs...that's authentic Disney. I doubt that any new ride in any other park would increase the appeal of those parks until they're the equal of MK. MK will always be most popular. That's just the way it is.

GimpYancIent

To me, the answer is to build more. If there's not enough space for everyone, you expand. Disney just doesn't want to spend the money especially if they're not necessarily getting more attendance out of it.
Building more is a good thing. The trick is building more without destroying what you have in the process or obstructing / detracting from what you have with construction walls.

el_super

Building more attractions doesn't really eliminate crowding, or the need to have a virtual queue system. It just moves the crowds around.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Many of us here could see this coming years ago and for anyone that thinks Iger coming back is the saving grace for Disney and the theme parks are kidding themselves

Changes need to be made in so many areas

el_super

Isn't that the name of the game? Getting people into attractions and wide open spaces rather than packing them in like sardines?

If you add a new attraction, and that new attraction ends up with a 2 to 3 hour wait, you still have crowds to deal with. No one wants to wait in a 2 hour long queue.

Further attraction capacity and crowds more spread out would feel less crowded as a whole

Attractions that are in high demand will stay in high demand. Where you see fewer people are in the smaller attractions that are generally not busy today.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
If you add a new attraction, and that new attraction ends up with a 2 to 3 hour wait, you still have crowds to deal with. No one wants to wait in a 2 hour long queue.

Attractions that are in high demand will stay in high demand. Where you see fewer people are in the smaller attractions that are generally not busy today.
You give the same number of people more room and more places to be, the crowds will feel smaller as a whole

peter11435

You give the same number of people more room and more places to be, the crowds will feel smaller as a whole
Except adding new attractions generally increases demand and thus increases that amount of people. And while people will be excited to be able to ride Tron sometime next year, that won’t make them suddenly not want to ride pirates of the Caribbean. So the demand for Pirates of the Caribbean doesn’t really decrease.

el_super

Except adding new attractions generally increases demand and thus increases that amount of people. And while people will be excited to be able to ride Tron sometime next year, that won’t make them suddenly not want to ride pirates of the Caribbean. So the demand for Pirates of the Caribbean doesn’t really decrease.

Yes. Exactly. The people wanting to ride Pirates doesn't change. What does change are the number of people riding the things at the bottom of the list: fewer people for Monster's Inc, Stitch and Carousel of Progress. So eventually those things end up being closed due to lack of interest.

Meanwhile your top tier attractions still have hour + waits and people are screaming that they want Fastpass or Virtual Queues. Nothing ever really changes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom