News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

_caleb

Advertisers buy into specific targets and demographics for their ads… this is not the same as just who gets promoted based on behavior/clicks/patterns
The ads you see online are targeted to you based on all those things—demographics, locations, etc. AND behaviors and patterns. It’s both really neat and really creepy at the same time.

“38-42 year-old active liberal female w/teenage dependents, pet owner, household income $120K/year, some college education, Mac user, interested in Disney, streaming, movies, and entertainment, Visa credit cardholder, likely to travel for vacation in the next six months.”

Disney buys lots of ads. The more targeted ones are more expensive (and generate better responses) while the general ones are cheaper.

Ayla

The ads you see online are targeted to you based on all those things—demographics, locations, etc. AND behaviors and patterns. It’s both really neat and really creepy at the same time.

“38-42 year-old active liberal female w/teenage dependents, pet owner, household income $120K/year, some college education, Mac user, interested in Disney, streaming, movies, and entertainment, Visa credit cardholder, likely to travel for vacation in the next six months.”

Disney buys lots of ads. The more targeted ones are more expensive (and generate better responses) while the general ones are cheaper.
Thank god for ad blockers.

denyuntilcaught

As someone who works in advertising, can confirm that this is 100% true, and it goes even deeper than that.

aka if you don't want ads based on your immediate physical location, I recommend you turn off location tracking. :)

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member

As someone who works in advertising, can confirm that this is 100% true, and it goes even deeper than that.

aka if you don't want ads based on your immediate physical location, I recommend you turn off location tracking. :)
I don't think Hulu targets ads quite that specifically. Web-based ads, mobile ads, social media ads, etc. all work exactly like you're describing. For SVOD, the technology for dynamic ad insertion exists but it's very expensive, and I don't think Disney can get the CPMs from their advertisers to justify paying for the tech.

Rather than them knowing that you're a 38-42 active liberal female etc. and showing you ads based on that, I think what they do is say "we know that the audience for Handmaid's Tale *tends to be* 38-42 active liberal female," so everyone watching Handmaid's Tale would see the same type of ads.

A 38-42 active liberal female watching Yellowstone is probably going to see ads for trucks and Old Spice, while a 54-58 conservative male watching Dancing With the Stars is going to see ads for Target and Starbucks.

denyuntilcaught

I don't think Hulu targets ads quite that specifically. Web-based ads, mobile ads, social media ads, etc. all work exactly like you're describing. For SVOD, the technology for dynamic ad insertion exists but it's very expensive, and I don't think Disney can get the CPMs from their advertisers to justify paying for the tech.

Rather than them knowing that you're a 38-42 active liberal female etc. and showing you ads based on that, I think what they do is say "we know that the audience for Handmaid's Tale *tends to be* 38-42 active liberal female," so everyone watching Handmaid's Tale would see the same type of ads.

A 38-42 active liberal female watching Yellowstone is probably going to see ads for trucks and Old Spice, while a 54-58 conservative male watching Dancing With the Stars is going to see ads for Target and Starbucks.
Good point, but while Hulu may not, funny enough the SVOD provider I work for has explored DCO and location-based targeting quite frequently. Both Disney and the streamer I work for has also made the shift from demo based audiences to a blend of both demo + affinity based audiences, at least for digital buying as TV (-LRD) still remains quite traditional in its approach. As a result, it's not enough to target who is watching Yellowstone, but also why and the origin need state, which demands an extremely customized approach to deployment and measurement.

Either way, fascinating how quickly complex this can become!

_caleb

The allure of streaming for Disney is all the data they can collect about you and use to "customize your experience." This goes WAY beyond, the old Nielson household category approach ("people who watch this tend to be...") and collects loads of detailed data about you (and everyone in your home) while also buying/trading personal data about you from other sites/sources.

Here's the statement from Hulu's CCPA page, which discloses all the info they have about you that they might sell/trade to third parties. It give an idea of the kinds of data they collect and use:
  • Hulu collects information from or about you, including personal information, when you use the Hulu services as described in our Privacy Policy. If you are a registered user of the Hulu services, we may disclose certain information we collect about you for purposes that may be considered a “sale” under the CCPA. For example, we may disclose information to advertising partners, advertising technology companies, and companies that perform advertising-related services in order to provide you with more relevant advertising tailored to your interests on the Hulu services. We may also disclose to our content programmers information about you, which may help personalize your experience and the content and ads you see on Hulu as well as other platforms and services, as further described in our Privacy Policy.
The "Privacy Policy" mentioned at the end refers to Disney's company-wide privacy policy, which is pretty detailed about all the things they know about you and use in advertising to you. Among the things they track and use in serving ads to you (bold added by me):
  • Registration information you provide when you create an account, enter a promotion, or link your profile on a third-party site or platform with your registration account, such as your first name and surname, country of residence, gender, date of birth, email address, username, and password;
  • Transaction information you provide when you request information, contact Guest Services, or purchase, return, request, or exchange a product or service from us, such as your postal address, telephone number, and payment information;
  • Information you provide in public forums on our sites and applications, such as your public posts;
  • Information sent either one-to-one or within a limited group using our message, chat, post, or similar functionality, where we are permitted by applicable law to collect this information;
  • Information we obtain from a third party, such as a site or platform provider, about use of our applications on third-party platforms or devices;
  • Location information, including precise or approximate location information provided by a mobile or other device interacting with one of our sites, applications, or physical properties (including through beacon technologies), or associated with your IP address or other online or device identifier, where we are permitted by law to process this information;
  • Activity information about your use, and the use by any person(s) you authorize through your account (for example, through the creation of profiles under your Disney+ or Hulu account), of our sites and applications, such as the content you view or post, how often you use our services, and your preferences;
  • Usage, viewing, technical, and device data when you visit our sites, use our applications on third-party sites or platforms, or open emails we send, or connect with our wireless Internet access services and other similar technologies, including your browser or device type, unique device identifier, and IP address;

There's plenty more, but my point stands: the ads you see about Disney products (like Strange World) are based on what they know about you (which is A LOT) and is served to you by an algorithm that is smart enough to predict your preferences and behavior.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
The allure of streaming for Disney is all the data they can collect about you and use to "customize your experience." This goes WAY beyond, the old Nielson household category approach ("people who watch this tend to be...") and collects loads of detailed data about you (and everyone in your home) while also buying/trading personal data about you from other sites/sources.

Here's the statement from Hulu's CCPA page, which discloses all the info they have about you that they might sell/trade to third parties. It give an idea of the kinds of data they collect and use:

The "Privacy Policy" mentioned at the end refers to Disney's company-wide privacy policy, which is pretty detailed about all the things they know about you and use in advertising to you. Among the things they track and use in serving ads to you (bold added by me):
  • Registration information you provide when you create an account, enter a promotion, or link your profile on a third-party site or platform with your registration account, such as your first name and surname, country of residence, gender, date of birth, email address, username, and password;
  • Transaction information you provide when you request information, contact Guest Services, or purchase, return, request, or exchange a product or service from us, such as your postal address, telephone number, and payment information;
  • Information you provide in public forums on our sites and applications, such as your public posts;
  • Information sent either one-to-one or within a limited group using our message, chat, post, or similar functionality, where we are permitted by applicable law to collect this information;
  • Information we obtain from a third party, such as a site or platform provider, about use of our applications on third-party platforms or devices;
  • Location information, including precise or approximate location information provided by a mobile or other device interacting with one of our sites, applications, or physical properties (including through beacon technologies), or associated with your IP address or other online or device identifier, where we are permitted by law to process this information;
  • Activity information about your use, and the use by any person(s) you authorize through your account (for example, through the creation of profiles under your Disney+ or Hulu account), of our sites and applications, such as the content you view or post, how often you use our services, and your preferences;
  • Usage, viewing, technical, and device data when you visit our sites, use our applications on third-party sites or platforms, or open emails we send, or connect with our wireless Internet access services and other similar technologies, including your browser or device type, unique device identifier, and IP address;

There's plenty more, but my point stands: the ads you see about Disney products (like Strange World) are based on what they know about you (which is A LOT) and is served to you by an algorithm that is smart enough to predict your preferences and behavior.
All I'm saying is that they can do all of that but I don't think they actually do. It's expensive for them, and the return isn't there.

brb1006

An upcoming book titled "The House of Mouse: Bob Iger and the Fight for the Soul of Disney" by Robbie Whelan has been announced today and sold to a HarperCollins imprint. The book is also known as the "Bob vs Bob Book".
Fv75FYsacAA2Cio.jpg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

…bad week/year for the Iger optimist types, huh?

BlakeW39

Well one has spent decades surrounding himself with sycophants, yes men, and a board that was in the bag…
…the other was scapegoated and fired under orders by that same board…

How do you think it’s gonna go?

Slightly adjacent topic but I was just diving into old Iger/Eisner/Chapek stuff on these boards. Some of these posts have not aged well....lol

Screenshot_20230513_162145_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230513_162140_Chrome.jpg

Oh boy....poor guy didn't know how insightful he really was lmao

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Slightly adjacent topic but I was just diving into old Iger/Eisner/Chapek stuff on these boards. Some of these posts have not aged well....lol

View attachment 716191
View attachment 716190

Oh boy....poor guy didn't know how insightful he really was lmao
Since I had minor…very minor interaction with both…

I would have agreed. Think I was being threatened with banishment from INTERCOT around that time. Owners quote: “why you gotta be all honest and a downer all the time?!?😡

I wish I was Making that up 🙄

Anyway…Bob was a cap cities throw in and just kept his head low during the mad king Eisner era…he did nothing.

He cut a deal with Roy…Eisner agreed…that’s how “Disney war” ended. People revise the truth but that is what happened.

Anyway…Bob did better than I would have said at that time…for sure.

But he’s not a creative at all…and his time is past. No one should be in definitive control of such a large org for 15+ years.

No one. It’s too much and they naturally start to believe their own BS over time.

It is time…past time…for new blood

WaltsTreasureChest

I would have agreed. Think I was being threatened with banishment from INTERCOT around that time. Owners quote: “why you gotta be all honest and a downer all the time?!?😡

Anyway…Bob was a cap cities throw in and just kept his head low during the mad king Eisner era…he did nothing.

He cut a deal with Roy…Eisner agreed…that’s how “Disney war” ended. People revise the truth but that is what happened.

But he’s not a creative at all…and his time is past. No one should be in definitive control of such a large org for 15+ years.

No one. It’s too much and they naturally start to believe their own BS over time.

I 100% agree with you.

BlakeW39

Definitely think Iger stuck around too long. Same with Eisner. In the grand scheme of things I think Iger did positive things for the company, at least from a shareholder perspective, but I agree he just never got the creative side of things and I think the Disney brand has become dilluted as a result. He made it feel "corporate." The product has a certain mass produced quality to it. But you are right we're due for new blood & fresh ideas.

That said. One thing I found funny browsing old threads is the difference in community sentiment pre-COVID vs. post-COVID. Or alternatively, pre- and post- Chapek. You ended up predicting a lot of things, although most posters at the time disagreed with you, heheh. But Disney's position now was definitely not foreseen by most just ~4 years ago.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom