News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Definitely think Iger stuck around too long. Same with Eisner. In the grand scheme of things I think Iger did positive things for the company, at least from a shareholder perspective, but I agree he just never got the creative side of things and I think the Disney brand has become dilluted as a result. He made it feel "corporate." The product has a certain mass produced quality to it. But you are right we're do for new blood & fresh ideas.

That said. One thing I found funny browsing old threads is the difference in community sentiment pre-COVID vs. post-COVID. Or alternatively, pre- and post- Chapek. You ended up predicting a lot of things, although most posters at the time disagreed with you, heheh. But Disney's position now was definitely not foreseen by most just ~4 years ago.
You know what’s funny is the Eisner haters and Bob lovers agreed Michael stayed around too long.

I am neither and I agree! We all agree!!

But the bobites will not say the same thing about him and it’s just as obvious.

Disney is a wreck right now and it’s gonna probably have to bottom and chapek is not to blame.

And you know the primary reason? Bob stayed too long. He got stale and stupid just like his predecessor. This always happens.
Then he “came back” because of ego and embarrassment.

That’s on Sue Arnold and the puppet board. A public company ceo should NEVER get to appoint his own board.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That said. One thing I found funny browsing old threads is the difference in community sentiment pre-COVID vs. post-COVID. Or alternatively, pre- and post- Chapek. You ended up predicting a lot of things, although most posters at the time disagreed with you, heheh. But Disney's position now was definitely not foreseen by most just ~4 years ago.
The cracks where there. Then and long before.

I have a knack/curse for “trajectory”

…but as I always say. I don’t want to be right. I always hope things turn out better.

BlakeW39

Disney is a wreck right now and it’s gonna probably have to bottom and chapek is not to blame.

It might have to. Wild to think about but I wouldn't be exactly surprised if things had to get worse before they got better. Definitely a wreck. I've never seen such animosity for a brand among those who are supposed to be its biggest supporters.

And you know the primary reason? Bob stayed too long. He got stale and stupid just like his predecessor. This always happens.
Then he “came back” because of ego and embarrassment.

That’s on Sue Arnold and the puppet board. A public company ceo should NEVER get to appoint his own board.

Agreed so. Modern Disney's issues are the fault of Iger and his creative incompetence. It had little to do with Chapek. Bob has for sure overstayed his welcome.

The cracks where there. Then and long before.

I have a knack/curse for “trajectory”

…but as I always say. I don’t want to be right. I always hope things turn out better.

So do I. But as you said...being that the current board of directors and TWDC as a whole were molded into shape by Iger....I sort of doubt anything will get better any time soon. My prediction is that TWDC continues in a negative direction for the next few years....until it has been made apparent that they have driven their precious "brands" into the ground...and then after a while longer, they MIGHT start to correcr course and even then I think we'll be stuck with a lot of rot.

WDWFanRay

A CEO’s job at a publicly traded company is to make the shareholders money. Period. Both of the Bob’s have lost money, with the stock down from $197 a share in March 2021 to yesterday’s close at $91.99 (down over 50% in about two years) I am a Disney stockholder and luckily, I’m averaged in at a decent price, but I’m seriously considering dumping it all. I just don’t trust their decisions lately. What on earth did the whole dustup with Florida do to increase stock price? It was short-sighted and counter productive. If they want to push an agenda, then take the company private. Don’t mess with my retirement. I don’t want to buy into any company that gets political, left or right. It’s not good for business.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
A CEO’s job at a publicly traded company is to make the shareholders money. Period. Both of the Bob’s have lost money, with the stock down from $197 a share in March 2021 to yesterday’s close at $91.99 (down over 50% in about two years) I am a Disney stockholder and luckily, I’m averaged in at a decent price, but I’m seriously considering dumping it all. I just don’t trust their decisions lately. What on earth did the whole dustup with Florida do to increase stock price? It was short-sighted and counter productive. If they want to push an agenda, then take the company private. Don’t mess with my retirement. I don’t want to buy into any company that gets political, left or right. It’s not good for business.
Well you had me at first…

But you couldn’t be more completely wrong about Florida. And here’s where the trouble has been starting

Last edited:

JoeCamel

Shortsighted and counter productive is certainly descriptive of something.....

BlakeW39

Is that user still active? I really want to know his opinion right now.

Unfortunately not. Stopped being active way back in 2007 :hilarious: oh if only he knew then how right he would become....as bad as Eisner got in his later years, he did have some great components of his tenure where he really let Disney imagination go wild. You had the Renaissance films, some of which can be considered some of the best animated films of all time, alongside the classics developed by Walt and masterpieces engineered by Miyazaki....you had Disney's Animal Kingdom being created at that time which despite its being unfinished, was still in many ways a masterclass in theme park design....I can go on. What he did to EPCOT was unforgivable but he did some great things in the parks as well. Iger on the other hand was all about boring M&As, building a massive conglomerate and stifling creative in order for him to focus on his acquisitional brands....the "IPger" era. No one will remember Frozen like they do The Lion King, Bob....heheheh....close the door on your way out, pal.

bcoachable

Question for all:
Seems as if there was a titanic shift in Disney ideology around 2003 or so - that coincided with 1. lack of creativity and 2. development of magic band technology…
anyone else feeling that vibe around that time, or is it just me?
Wonder who initiated this “shift” inside the company? It certainly was intended to be a move trying to set the course for the company to make more money….
I think their needs to be a “Disney Second War” book written next…

BlakeW39

Question for all:
Seems as if there was a titanic shift in Disney ideology around 2003 or so - that coincided with 1. lack of creativity and 2. development of magic band technology…
anyone else feeling that vibe around that time, or is it just me?
Wonder who initiated this “shift” inside the company? It certainly was intended to be a move trying to set the course for the company to make more money….
I think their needs to be a “Disney Second War” book written next…

Interesting... I haven't been around that long, but do tell. You think magic band and the parks' createv decline are linked in some way?

bcoachable

Interesting... I haven't been around that long, but do tell. You think magic band and the parks' createv decline are linked in some way?
I think a decision was made at some point to move away from expanding the parks in meaningful ways (to save money) and using the fast pass / magic band as a way to manipulate crowds in a manner that park expansion would not be necessary - as a side effect, it eliminating the creative piece of the puzzle…
when they need creativity now, they go buy it… IMO of course.

Lilofan

A public company that gets political is doing business 101. You help me I help you. That will never cease .

bcoachable

Magicbands were rolled out in 2013.
Fast pass begin in 1999, I believe? Fast pass then moved away from paper distribution to the “make a reservation” and use the app plus your band to tap in. The band helped to keep tabs on what guests where spending. The reservation was a way to move people from crowded rides (SM?) to rides that may not be as popular with guests (COP?) in order to even out crowds. This was sold as a way to not need to spend money to flesh out parks. Just seems like when these choices were decided upon, the opportunity for creativity, as we would view it, went away. IMO, of course…

WDWFanRay

A public company that gets political is doing business 101.
Among others, I own General Electric and Lowe’s and I don’t have a clue about their political leanings. Looking at the Harris ratings, both of these companies rate near the top of being the most neutral political publicly traded companies. I just can’t trust a company that pushes an agenda, left or right. It leaves my investments too exposed to unnecessary drops.

Naplesgolfer

I think a decision was made at some point to move away from expanding the parks in meaningful ways (to save money) and using the fast pass / magic band as a way to manipulate crowds in a manner that park expansion would not be necessary - as a side effect, it eliminating the creative piece of the puzzle…
when they need creativity now, they go buy it… IMO of course.
This is is the tale of Disney's current and midrange problems in a nut shell. Until they change this formula they will have problems. Really sad and it was so predictable . Disney needs a board that UNDERSTANDS what Diseny's real core strengths are and what made it successful and nurtures that path.

Last edited:

Ayla

Fast pass begin in 1999, I believe? Fast pass then moved away from paper distribution to the “make a reservation” and use the app plus your band to tap in. The band helped to keep tabs on what guests where spending. The reservation was a way to move people from crowded rides (SM?) to rides that may not be as popular with guests (COP?) in order to even out crowds. This was sold as a way to not need to spend money to flesh out parks. Just seems like when these choices were decided upon, the opportunity for creativity, as we would view it, went away. IMO, of course…
I was clarifying the insinuation magicbands have been in use since 2003.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom