News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

Kamikaze

I guess we'll see. I think it sells fewer tickets than Endgame, but inflated ticket prices and a skew towards 3D and PLF will push it over $2b gross.
I think it sells fewer tickets than almost anything. BP:WF's box office will be higher in the US. No one cares about Avatar. Unless it does well over $1b in China, its not getting to $2b.

el_super

The funny thing is a lot of YouTube content is relatively low budget so if that is the type of stuff is popular, why not just emulate it to some degree? Low risk, high reward.

I actually think that might be what ends up happening. Cheaper programming, reality shows, maybe a Disney game show. The same theme as the pivot made in parks after EuroDisney. They will need to find a way to make money before art.

CaptainAmerica

No one cares about Avatar.
This is a very popular refrain among people who are way too Online. Normal people don't "care" about any media properties, they just want to be entertained for a few hours. They enjoy spectacle.

This is what you sound like when you say "no one cares about Avatar."

1669222924321.png

Cliff

Disney keeps it's D+ numbers somewhat confidential. All streamers do. Yes...they ALL must have an add supported teir in order to survive. Great!....wait....or is it? When they move to an add supported system, that will force Disney to do something it does not want to do. AdSales requires audience metrics and ratings data given to advertizers to set the add rates. Today....add agencies want EVERYthing to negotiate pricing.

This data cannot be held back and ALL streamers want to keep that "real" information propriatary. The streaming party is over for everybody and in general? Winter is comming for all of them.

lazyboy97o

And Apple has shown no signs of being in the Merger & Acquisition business (M&A). But if they did, there's a lot of low hanging fruit to buy before wanting to take on Disney and parks and cruise lines.
Apple makes a bunch of acquisitions, they just tend to be smaller no-name companies that have a technology that Apple wants to incorporate (for example the revamped Weather app in iOS 16 is built on Dark Sky, an app they acquired a couple of years ago). Tim Cook is a numbers and operations guy, if he wanted to make a move he would make a move. He has no reason to be interested in fulfilling Iger’s Steve Jobs fantasy.

DCLcruiser

This is a very popular refrain among people who are way too Online. Normal people don't "care" about any media properties, they just want to be entertained for a few hours. They enjoy spectacle.

This is what you sound like when you say "no one cares about Avatar."

View attachment 680411
I feel like Avatar's ship has sailed. Avatar was exciting back in the day for the animation. Today, it looks like every other Disney movie. While I am sure Water will be good, I don't expect reviewers to be wowed or consumers to go back multiple times. I am of course, going to be wrong, but that's my opinion today.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I feel like Avatar's ship has sailed. Avatar was exciting back in the day for the animation. Today, it looks like every other Disney movie. While I am sure Water will be good, I don't expect reviewers to be wowed or consumers to go back multiple times. I am of course, going to be wrong, but that's my opinion today.
The other danger here is it’s been 13 years. I think a lot are going to view this as a reboot rather than a sequel.

OrlandoRising

Big yikes. He better get the animation side of the house fixed pronto.

This feels like Disney animation forgot what happened the last time it tried to branch out into the adventure genre with "Atlantis: The Lost Empire" or "Treasure Planet."

The internet says She Hulk was around $25 Million per episode.

Is there a legitimate source for this? Because I can't find one, only blogs I've never heard of citing anonymous sources.

Patcheslee

They don't want to be niche, they want to be the new cable bundle.

That gender map that shows Hulu insanely female and D+ insanely male (not to mention ESPN+, which is even male-er) is the whole point. Once ESPN proper goes direct-to-consumer, Disney can sell families a $35 bundle that includes Monday Night Football.
Guess there's been an antitrust lawsuit filed having to do with the ESPN portion. Don't 100% understand the legalities but here's the article that cam across my Google this morning.

TalkingHead

Will it be a total number of watchers to a show, like the old TV ratings, with a breakdown by demo? Does that matter as much for an individual show if any ads served in it are targeted to the end user, unlike broadcast where everyone got the same ad and you could charge as such?
Metrics are needed not only for industry purposes, although that’s part of it. They’re needed so that it’s clearer on a social level when a feature or series has achieved something like blockbuster status, which in turn drives more viewers to a title. It’s partially a question of curation and hype, but it also solidifies when a studio is producing meaningful work (or what audiences are finding to be meaningful).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Avatar 1 made $58M on its recent rerelease. That's a movie that people can easily rewatch in their homes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom