News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

DCLcruiser

Gender skew does not measure children properly. This chart is broken.
How are they analyzing gender of viewers? Is it based on which credit card has the subscription? Card is in my name, by my wife and I watching everything on D+ equally.

Or is it based on surveys? I could see a male skew because all of the major D+ original series are male oriented (SW, MCU).

Disstevefan1

I'm watching and reading all the Wall Street and market experts discuss Disney's financial problems. Everybody seems to agree that what Disney is about to go through is going to be enormously painfull for everybody.

The D+ streaming model...the one that was "save" the company and launch it into the future...is just not working. Even worse, it's putting a massive weight on Disney's books. As the model exists today, its not going to break even in 2025...and might never break even. The entire thing might need to be scrapped or at least completely overhauled and re-invented.

You guys know that each "She Hulk" episode cost 20 million to make? (Average cost per episode) seriously? That is insanity! They blew THAT much money on THAT? How many episodes? 9 or 10?

How much return will that lost money bring them in 10 years? They could have used that money in the parks and gotten WAY more return for the company. They could have built 1 or 2 permanant attractions that would have delivered more parks revenue for 20 or 30 years!

Instead....they blew it in a show that did not rate well and will be forgotten at the bottom of the D+ playlist in 2 years.

Disney...your PARKS are what you do best. Dont sacrifice your BEST product to prop up junk or something that nobody wants.

I read that 40% of D+ "subcribers" are literally people that get it FREE through 3rd party companies like Verizon customers. A large portion of D+ "subscribers" literally dont even care enough to setup their login and have never logged in. Yes....get this...Disney still counts these non paying people "subscribers"..."customers".

This D+ model is a giant black hole that is swallowing everything. Now that the pandemic is over, It's 100% clear to everybody that D+ is NOT the "saviour" or even "future" of the company.

Now....get working on that "beyond Big Thunger Mountain" project....now.
The internet says She Hulk was around $25 Million per episode.
Wow! what a waste! I did watch it; I already pay for D+ so it was "free" She Hulk was funny and silly but NOT worth $25 Million per episode!

YOU ARE TOTALLY CORRECT take that money and build attractions!

As much as you can trust the internet, here are some other costs per episode.

The Mandalorian = $15 Million
The Big Bang Theory (2019 dollars) = $9 Million
Westworld = $10 Million.
Fiends (2004 dollars) = $10 Million
ER (2009 dollars) = $13 Million

Blue Bloods = $1 million??? I had to check twice! One of my favorite shows!

CaptainAmerica

How are they analyzing gender of viewers? Is it based on which credit card has the subscription? Card is in my name, by my wife and I watching everything on D+ equally.

Or is it based on surveys? I could see a male skew because all of the major D+ original series are male oriented (SW, MCU).
Social media activity, which is the dumbest possible way to do it.

CaptainAmerica

Big yikes. He better get the animation side of the house fixed pronto.

aocjx.jpg

mightynine

The way to measure the success of these shows hasn't really been cemented the way that Nielsen ratings had been for TV or box office receipts for movies.
Ol' Supe's got a point. Netflix never set a standard for success that others could copy by keeping their cards so close to the vest, so everyone just judged success by subscriber count.

That's changing now that subscriber count isn't enough, apparently - plus you're getting more ad-supported tiers - but again, what is success? Will it be a total number of watchers to a show, like the old TV ratings, with a breakdown by demo? Does that matter as much for an individual show if any ads served in it are targeted to the end user, unlike broadcast where everyone got the same ad and you could charge as such?

We're still very much in the early stages of streaming with plenty of unknowns.

As for Strange World - it really seems like the previous regime sent this one out to die. Feels like it's had very little publicity.

CaptainAmerica

Does that matter as much for an individual show if any ads served in it are targeted to the end user, unlike broadcast where everyone got the same ad and you could charge as such?
Individually targeted ads are extremely expensive to implement and advertisers have shown an unwillingness to pony up and pay for them. I don't think they'll become the norm for SVOD any time soon. Instead, I think you'll see targeted advertising based on the content that people are watching. "I want 18-49 men, so I'm going to advertise on Mando," that sort of thing.

nickys

Premium Member

Don’t you sign in when you watch?

DH has the subscription but when I go into D+ I choose my avatar and it keeps my choices and recommendations etc. So I assume they could analyse my viewing separate from his. Of course if not everyone has that kind of set-up then I guess it will go by the subscriber’s gender.

Br0ckford

The internet says She Hulk was around $25 Million per episode.
Wow! what a waste! I did watch it; I already pay for D+ so it was "free" She Hulk was funny and silly but NOT worth $25 Million per episode!

YOU ARE TOTALLY CORRECT take that money and build attractions!

As much as you can trust the internet, here are some other costs per episode.

The Mandalorian = $15 Million
The Big Bang Theory (2019 dollars) = $9 Million
Westworld = $10 Million.
Fiends (2004 dollars) = $10 Million
ER (2009 dollars) = $13 Million

Blue Bloods = $1 million??? I had to check twice! One of my favorite shows!
She Hulk cost that much??. I don't hate it, but it was just meh, and I was really looking forward to it. What a waste.

CaptainAmerica

DH has the subscription but when I go into D+ I choose my avatar and it keeps my choices and recommendations etc. So I assume they could analyse my viewing separate from his. Of course if not everyone has that kind of set-up then I guess it will go by the subscriber’s gender.
Nah, they're literally counting tweets.

DCLcruiser

My sign in, that's it. We watch tv together. Ok, she has some shows on Netflix, but still just one sign on.

DCLcruiser

Lol are they selling ads to themselves to juice their Direct-to-Consumer P&L?
That is hard to tell. Hulu w/ Live TV = actual broadcast commercials during Live or DVR shows, and then Hulu ads during on Demand. So, I can't recall if there have been more or less Strange World commercials on either side of the app.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom