News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

drod1985

Never seen a man ruin a company as fast as Chapek did.
You must not follow Twitter. :)

I wonder if we see a token measure like lifting park hopping restriction while keeping stupid reservations
These are intertwined. What's the point in park reservations if you've restored full day park hopping? Scrap them both together.

Itā€™s possible that Marvel has a master plan but what is it? A percent of the general public is giving up on them because the apparent lack of direction. Does anyone thatā€™s not a super nerd know whatā€™s going on in the MCU?
The master plan wasn't really evident for the general public till the end of The Avengers, when that post credits scene got everybody asking "Who is Thanos?"

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania is meant to do this with Kang. We got a soft intro to Kang in Loki, but this will be the first villainous version of the character we've seen. We'll see if this is a success in February if more people are asking "Who is Kang?"

The last batch of SW films followed the performance of the prequels.

They didn't though. The OT and PT had a ~31% drop in box office from the first film to the second film. Then the OT and PT had a 34% and 21% increase respectively from their second films to their third films. Meanwhile the ST had a 35% drop from first to second film and then another 19% drop for the third film. The most objective way to look at these is box office performance, and it's clear the ST did not trend with the PT and OT. And I say all this as a massive fan of Force Awakens and the world it tried to build.

Chip Chipperson

I don't think that's true of Disney+ (or Peacock, ironically).

Netflix - Draw people in with Stranger Things and whatever binge drama or true crime documentary goes viral, but nothing to keep them around.

HBO - Draw people in with Game of Thrones, but nothing to keep them around.

Amazon - Draw people in with free 2-Day shipping, keep them around with free 2-Day shipping, doesn't matter what anyone watches.

Hulu - Attempt to be consistently good with FX content (The Bear, Reservation Dogs, Under the Banner of Heaven, Dopesick), but no major draw outside of The Handmaid's Tale, which has a super niche audience

Paramount+ - Pray that Taylor Sheridan can keep cranking out bangers

Peacock - Nothing to draw people in, but if they get some hits people will stick around to watch The Office and Parks & Rec for the thousandth time

Disney+ - Come for Mando, stay for the Library

Disney+ and Peacock don't need to spend on "sustainment" content, because they already have it. They need to spend on must-see blockbuster content that continues to bring people into the service. Once they're in, they're in. Churn should be much lower than most of these other services.

I'll disagree about Peacock. They don't have a major draw in terms of a drama series, but they do have things like Premiere League Soccer and WWE pay-per-views to get people to stick around. The WWE events are monthly and the service (with ads) is half the price that the old WWE Network was (which itself was much less than half the price of a PPV through cable providers), so there's no point in canceling for a few months to save money. While both of those are niche markets to some extent (moreso the soccer), they do draw people in (WWE Network had over 1.1 million subscribers in the US before it moved over to Peacock).

FigmentFan82

HBO - Draw people in with Game of Thrones, but nothing to keep them around.
This is so inaccurate it's hilarious. HBO Max has one of the deepest and impressive back catalogue collections of all the streamers between HBO shows and WB films. They just simply need to stop screwing with something that is working just fine

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Disney owns 21st Century Fox, which includes 20th Century Studios, Searchlight, FX, NatGeo, and some other things.

But no, they do not nor did they ever own Fox News, nor Fox Sports 1/2.

They did, for a period of time, own the Fox Regional Sports Networks, but those have since been sold off to Sinclair Broadcast Group.
21st Century Fox is defunct. At the time of purchase of 21st Century Fox, the divisions not being bought by Disney were spun off into Fox-branded divisions still owned by Murdoch.

The divisions of 21st Century Fox that Disney did get, were spun off or merged into existing divisions. All divisions with "Fox" in the title that were bought by Disney began to have the Fox-brand removed (by the terms of the agreement, all things Fox-branded had to be removed by 2024).

Disney now uses "20th Century" branding for some things that were once "20th Century Fox" or "21st Century Fox."

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I didn't even know they updated the name.
Murdoch's organization started to use 21st Century Fox as the over-all holding company, which included the 20th Century Fox studios which retained its legacy-name.

Disney bought a big chunk of 21st, which included 20th.

Neither Disney nor Murdoch uses 21st anymore. Disney uses 20th (without 'Fox') and Murdoch slaps 'Fox' onto what he has left, including new Fox studios that produce content.

BobPar

Does it? Uber and Lyft popped the bubble long before DME was shut down. I still think there's value to bringing it back as a PR thing, but I don't think there's much concrete return in terms of "captive guests."
Give your guests no reason to leave and they will stay no matter how easy it is to go elsewhere. Thats what imo he needs to do issue is to accomplish that they literally need to expand all 4 park w capacity and i just cant see this company being able to pull it off. Ill be hopeful he has seen his mistakes and the board steers him in that direction but end of day he started this mess gonna take some soul searching to admit he was wrongā€¦

DCLcruiser

Best stuff on Hulu imo.

Dramas:
Dopesick
Fargo
The Patient
The Old Man
Justified
Candy
Under the Banner of Heaven

Comedies:
Schitt's Creek
Only Murders in the Building
The Bear
Reservation Dogs
Out of all of those, the only one that interests us is Schitt's Creek, which we watched all of on Netflix already.

Dranth

I know it is a small group but I really donā€™t understand the people who are not happy about this. Iger is an improvement, not a savior, not perfect, not even ideal, not someone I EVER thought I would want to see again but absolutely an improvement. Can anyone, with a straight face, tell me that Chapek was a better CEO than Iger?

Even if they have the exact same ideas and strategies (which they donā€™t as we are already seeing), doing them in a way that doesnā€™t p*** off all your employees and customers is a large bonus. Additionally, saving the other divisions that have struggled under Chapek will stop them from using the parks to cover losses/underperformance elsewhere and that will help all aspects of the company.

Even their management style can make a big difference. Chapek seems to have been a control freak while Iger put people in charge to do a job and let them do it. That means the parks have a chance to get better now. It isnā€™t going to change overnight and who knows, maybe it wonā€™t change at all, but now it has a chance.

Sure, I would have rather them gone out and found the next Walt but given how things played out, this is the best we could realistically hope for and it will at least start to put out the raging dumpster fire Chapek was overseeing.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Is it even necessary for Disney+ to ever turn a profit?
The service is basically a 24/7 stream of advertisements for Disney's merchandise, media, parks, and other products.

All of Disney's income streams are dependent on broadcast/streaming media to create public knowledge about them.

Disney-store-at-Target-10042019_ABV.jpg
That picture was taken at 7:59ā€¦

At 8:15 after the store opened, everything was on the floor and it hasnā€™t been cleaned up since.

Those target sections are a disgrace.
Horrible move longterm

CaptainAmerica

I know it is a small group but I really donā€™t understand the people who are not happy about this. Iger is an improvement, not a savior, not perfect, not even ideal, not someone I EVER thought I would want to see again but absolutely an improvement. Can anyone, with a straight face, tell me that Chapek was a better CEO than Iger?

Even if they have the exact same ideas and strategies (which they donā€™t as we are already seeing), doing them in a way that doesnā€™t p*** off all your employees and customers is a large bonus. Additionally, saving the other divisions that have struggled under Chapek will stop them from using the parks to cover losses/underperformance elsewhere and that will help all aspects of the company.

Even their management style can make a big difference. Chapek seems to have been a control freak while Iger put people in charge to do a job and let them do it. That means the parks have a chance to get better now. It isnā€™t going to change overnight and who knows, maybe it wonā€™t change at all, but now it has a chance.

Sure, I would have rather them gone out and found the next Walt but given how things played out, this is the best we could realistically hope for and it will at least start to put out the raging dumpster fire Chapek was overseeing.
Every bad thing about Chapek, other than style, started with Iger.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

You're reading waaaay too much into Joe's comment (one made when he was still an employee, so if you asked him now, he may have a different response). The problem with the yeti was unexpected and unforeseen and was very complex. It's not timely to replace the yeti, because it's not going to be something they do overnight, it would be months of downtime. But at least one potential replacement was designed years ago. The yeti has been removed a few times in the years after the ride opened, according to a few people around here I trust with such information, so it's not like they are in uncharted territory (or maybe they are, if all of the people who know about the yeti AA are gone).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
How would we feel about Catherine Powell coming back if they canned D'Amaro? Just throwing it out there.
I am going to annoy (more than usual) everyone with what I call ā€œthe gareth edwards principleā€

In short: they need a hands on parks leaderā€¦someone that actually has set foot in a park and eaten a hot dog. That doesnā€™t mean run it like the movie Bigā€¦but they have a chance to actually build some things without the shelf lives of what they have been doing of late.

castlecake2.0

That picture was taken at 7:59ā€¦

At 8:15 after the store opened, everything was on the floor and it hasnā€™t been cleaned up since.

Those target sections are a disgrace.
Horrible move longterm
Posted today in a group of former Disney Store cast members of a ā€œDisney Store shop in shopā€. Really hope this is something that is reconsidered.
D7EBEC68-767F-4704-A795-395C4EB0B4FB.jpeg

jpeden

In the Parks
No
I am going to annoy (more than usual) everyone with what I call ā€œthe gareth edwards principleā€

In short: they need a hands on parks leaderā€¦someone that actually has set foot in a park and eaten a hot dog. That doesnā€™t mean run it like the movie Bigā€¦but they have a chance to actually build some things without the shelf lives of what they have been doing of late.

It was my understanding that Powell was very much liked by DLP cast members because she did exactly that - and spent time with and knew her cast members.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom