News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

Inspired Figment

As the father of a 4 and 1 year old, can they please just bring back Mickey Mouse Clubhouse? Mickey Mouse Funhouse was a complete dud, but the formula for Clubhouse has this almost magic appeal to them... My wife in particular needs something new to playing in the background to help her sanity.

Some new episodes of The Wonderful World of Mickey Mouse would be nice too.

Yes, I need things to distract my kids...
Sentiments like this makes me wish Mickey Mouse Works/House of Mouse of the late 90s/early 2000s still existed. It appealed to all ages and was ‘the’ perfect modern take on Mickey. It ‘deeply’ upsets me that Iger pretends this era never existed.. didn’t even get one mention in the recent Mickey Story documentary. My guess is petty inner corporate ego politics since it was supervised by Roy Disney Jr. & greenlit under Eisner. Notice once preschool Clubhouse made its debut thanks to Iger. They pretended ‘everything’ made prior never existed and failed to make most of it available? Heck, notice how when pushing the “Iger saved Mickey from soulless corporate mascot narrative”. They don’t even mention how Clubhouse contributed to that very issue… don’t think that’s a coincidence. Truly befuddles & irritates me. It sorely needs more recognition & better marketing. People deserve to see the truth that they ‘did’ get a modern take on Mickey right without compromising anything everyone loved about the eras prior.

Last edited:

Mmoore29

His latest picture for AppleTV didn't exactly set the world on fire. He was also an alcoholic who routinely sexually harassed his employees.
Bear hugs are not automatically creepy or harassment. He's just a friendly, lovable guy who got shafted and was not allowed to defend himself. I've always stood by to defend him, and it was a sad day for Disney to can him, against all evidence and brought forth by a hatchet job in THR.

Same reason I've stood by to defend Al Franken, James Franco, Aziz Ansari, Johnny Depp, Armie Hammer, Paul Haggis and Marilyn Manson.

denyuntilcaught

It's weird. Harder and harder to ignore the conspiracy theories honestly.

It really does seem that Iger was running to get a statue of himself in the parks, and the sentiment today makes it seem like a possibility.
Funny enough, I don't think the Christine comment is a conspiracy theory as much as it is just business. Setting your boss up for failure in a discrete manner is a skill.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Using the nasdaq for a NYSE stock is a stretch... then trying to pretend that Netflix which has how many amusement parks? or Warner with all their amusement parks are peers... Sorry but you were cherry picking. You would have been better off using Comcast, but then they wouldn't show as great of a loss.
I guess you didn't see Comcast in the list? You might look again.

Or Bob getting roasted over... I don't know... MEDIA DIVISIONS?

Yes... let's point at a company's huge drop while ignoring the entire universe around them. Genius.

JoeCamel

Anyone find it fishy the board just called up Bob on a Thursday night and said "come back". Bob chirped up with "sure why not?"
And on Sunday a legend was born?
Seems to fly in the face of due dilligence

jpeden

In the Parks
No
Anyone find it fishy the board just called up Bob on a Thursday night and said "come back". Bob chirped up with "sure why not?"
And on Sunday a legend was born?
Seems to fly in the face of due dilligence

There isn't a ton of due diligence to do when everyone on the Board has worked with him, he previously held the job, and half the C-Suite got their jobs from him.

CaptainAmerica

I don't want to derail this thread yet again, but is the implication of 2) that inappropriate behaviour is to be accepted by Hollywood bigwigs?
I'm saying what's inappropriate in my office or my analyst's cubicle is not necessarily what's appropriate or inappropriate at a post-premiere cocktail party. I think Lasseter's actions were inappropriate for either environment, but he's not Harvey Weinstein. There are degrees of bad and I think his fall into "worthy of a second chance given a sincere apology and evidence that he's changed his behavior."

Nubs70

In the Board's defense, when you're charged with protecting a company like Disney and have to fire your CEO, replacement is not an easy thing. Yes, Iger was the safe choice, but also probably the correct choice. Who else would know how to run the company from day one in the C-Suite? Was it panicky? Absolutely. Was it also correct? Absolutely. Both can be true. What will be distressing is if Iger isn't gone on November 21, 2024 and a new CEO hasn't been picked to take over for him after being trained by Iger and others in the company on how to run TWDC.
How many years did Iger and the Board have to cultivate a worthy successor to Iger? Even with his multiple extensions and Post CEO tenure?

What are the odds that Iger and the Board will do any better in the next 24 months?

Mmoore29

I don't want to derail this thread yet again, but is the implication of 2) that inappropriate behaviour is to be accepted by Hollywood bigwigs?
What I'm saying is that what Lasseter does is miles away from Harvey Weinstein. I would be honored and thrilled to receive a bear hug from John Lasseter, and I think I'd get along quite well with him.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom