News Morocco Pavilion redevelopment

bhg469

Any word on the restaurant? I heard somewhere it might not come back and they'll be using the land for something else.
All I know is that they're currently using if for a lounge sponsored by a local heathcare company. With spice road table often half full or less, i doubt they are in a hurry to re-open it. WDW travelers want their lackluster burgers.

andysol

But why not just follow the existing model and add single-nation pavilions? A Thai pavilion (for example) would be far preferable to a composite Southeast Asian one.
Because then we couldn’t have a “Raya: Journey through a hodepodge of Southeast Asia” ride.

Floridian Gen Z here and outside of a World History class (Ancient Egypt and Europe, a few pages on others if they're lucky) it's not really present in most curriculum.

The regular curriculum doesn't do for cultural expansion for students beyond a foreign language requirement.
To be fair, it would be absolutely impossible to handle the history of the world. Handling the basics of our democracy/republic of Greece/Rome and where the nation started (Britain) is about all the world history one can muster in a public school setting. Throw in a little Mexico and Germany for their respective wars.

Otherwise- at what point do you get to pick and choose what gets taught? Each country has its own unique and rich history that even if you tried you couldn’t learn it all in one lifetime.
We homeschool and travel half the year to all continents and we can’t even scratch the surface of knowing everything. @LittleBuford clearly knows this region and is highly educated in it, but is unlikely to know the same level of detail about, say, Uruguay, which also has its own history.

There’s just too much world and too little brain/time.

So I certainly can excuse Americans for their ignorance on certain regions and cultures that may or may not even interest them.

Robbiem

Because then we couldn’t have a “Raya: Journey through a hodepodge of Southeast Asia” ride.

To be fair, it would be absolutely impossible to handle the history of the world. Handling the basics of our democracy/republic of Greece/Rome and where the nation started (Britain) is about all the world history one can muster in a public school setting. Throw in a little Mexico and Germany for their respective wars.

Otherwise- at what point do you get to pick and choose what gets taught? Each country has its own unique and rich history that even if you tried you couldn’t learn it all in one lifetime.
We homeschool and travel half the year to all continents and we can’t even scratch the surface of knowing everything. @LittleBuford clearly knows this region and is highly educated in it, but is unlikely to know the same level of detail about, say, Uruguay, which also has its own history.

There’s just too much world and too little brain/time.

So I certainly can excuse Americans for their ignorance on certain regions and cultures that may or may not even interest them.

Everyone tends to learn the history of their country from the perspective bias of that country so the US is no different.

Here in the UK I had a whirlwind high school history tour of key events to my country but we did cover the history of the US west and the cold war. I know nothing about the history of large areas of the world like mainland europe, South America, asia or africa.

I agree that travel realy does open your mind up and broaden your perspective and to me thats one of the great things about epcot and animal kingdom - they let you see other places that you might never have the opportunity to visit and gain a new perspective on the world

CaptainAmerica

Everyone tends to learn the history of their country from the perspective bias of that country so the US is no different.
And don't forget that the United States is a young country. The Magna Carta predates the Declaration of Independence by over 500 years. So most American students learn "Western Civilization" as their set of primary history courses. There's not that much American history to speak of, so we learn the centuries of Western thought that led to the American Founding.

Egypt -> Hebrews -> Greece -> Rome -> Early Church -> European Middle Ages -> Renaissance -> Reformation -> Enlightenment -> Revolution

The Empress Lilly

And don't forget that the United States is a young country. The Magna Carta predates the Declaration of Independence by over 500 years. So most American students learn "Western Civilization" as their set of primary history courses. There's not that much American history to speak of, so we learn the centuries of Western thought that led to the American Founding.

Egypt -> Hebrews -> Greece -> Rome -> Early Church -> European Middle Ages -> Renaissance -> Reformation -> Enlightenment -> Revolution
Yes, I find it unforgivable if people don't know about Magna Carta. Does Magna Carta mean nothing to them? Did she die in vain!?

😡

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Here in the UK I had a whirlwind high school history tour of key events to my country but we did cover the history of the US west and the cold war. I know nothing about the history of large areas of the world like mainland europe, South America, asia or africa.

I agree that travel realy does open your mind up and broaden your perspective and to me thats one of the great things about epcot and animal kingdom - they let you see other places that you might never have the opportunity to visit and gain a new perspective on the world
As long as you have memorized the succession of the Plantagenet and Tudor lineages, you're fine.

Robbiem

As long as you have memorized the succession of the Plantagenet and Tudor lineages, you're fine.
Actually other than the tudors we did very little kings and queens type history at my school. We did a potted journey through some eras but there were large gaps. It was something like
Romans in Britain (Boudica etc), fall of the romans, vikings king alfred, battle of haistings 1066
Jump to tudors bosworth field, Henry 8ths wives and Church of England, QE1 and the spanish armada
jump to 1930s rise of hitler, WW2 heavy focus on dunkirk, Battle of Britain and el alamain
cold war - berlin airlift, cuban missile crisis
back to history of American west - louisiana purchase, mexican wars, American civil war
Potted history of medicine from the greeks to 20th century

I actually think being a new country might give you an advantage asyou get to look back without taking sides for a lot of history. Here everything is viewed from the pov of a protagonist so I learned about the romans in Britain but nothing about the rest of the roman empire, we learned about the church of England but nothing about martin luther or the Spanish Inquisition etc. We missed out anything mainly in another country (except the US) so nothing about the italian renassance or feudal japan and didn’t cover big bits of British history like the English civil war, Victorian period and empire, the georgian and napoleonic periods etc.

As I’ve grown older and began to travel and learn for myself I’ve found the world is far different to the narrow school book view and far more interesting 😀✌️

Magenta Panther

All I know is that they're currently using if for a lounge sponsored by a local heathcare company. With spice road table often half full or less, i doubt they are in a hurry to re-open it. WDW travelers want their lackluster burgers.

I ate at the restaurant once, and didn't care for the food at all. BUT that doesn't mean it was badly prepared. I'm too ignorant about Moroccan cuisine to make any judgements about its quality. Anyway, the waiter I got was fantastic - he saw that I wasn't enjoying my dish and offered to let me send it back and try another. I wanted to pay for both meals, but he refused. I didn't like the second dish any better, unfortunately. But I left him a generous tip. The experience would be been excellent overall...if it weren't for the food...

JohnD

Would you believe I took this from the Odyssey ramp toward Mexico? When TOT was built they actually cared about sight lines. Outside this photo to the right the Eiffel Tower is dwarfed by the Swan and Dolphin hotels.

4D393F99-52E9-483E-9D96-A8217CBE4CC5.jpeg

bhg469

The old story about ToT being painted that color to blend in with Morocco has never been true. ToT is that color for no other reason than that’s the color it’s designed to be.
Now it seems to be passed around so much at this point its almost like that stupid fence post at the Haunted mansion that they eventually catered to nonsense and put a ring in the ground.

UNCgolf

The old story about ToT being painted that color to blend in with Morocco has never been true. ToT is that color for no other reason than that’s the color it’s designed to be.

I've never heard anyone say it was painted that color to blend in with Morocco -- it was that architectural features were added to the top of the building to help it blend in with Morocco.

I also thought that was confirmed as true?

ToTBellHop

I've never heard anyone say it was painted that color to blend in with Morocco -- it was that architectural features were added to the top of the building to help it blend in with Morocco.

I also thought that was confirmed as true?
Imagineers have said as much…

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom