Hurricane Ian expected to impact Florida (updates and related discussions)

peter11435

This can all be accomplished with cash on hand and no rate increase?
You are missing the point. These companies have already secured rate increases and funding based on promises to do this work. Repeatedly. And they have never completed the task. They will use this storm to justify further rate increases to improve infrastructure but will once again not follow though. And nobody will hold them accountable.

peter11435

Even with 'properly built' infrastructure you'd still have power failures. Even 'properly built' infrastructure has liabilities and exposures to storm damage.

Would less people be impacted? Sure - but we're not building a system from scratch here. And if a system can be built and repaired in a total solution better than a system that will can sill fail, but be harder and more expensive to repair... that doesn't necessarily make the second solution better for everything.

TLDR - You're still going to have power failures after major storms even with perfect systems.

Those at severe risk because of no power have alternatives and their risk is known.
For crying out loud. I’ve said repeatedly that some would still lose power. Nobody is claiming that any system is 100% perfect. But it could be significantly better and safer.

If you live in Florida you’ve already paid for utility infrastructure improvements that you never received.

lazyboy97o

I never said the system was infallable. But when you standard is griping because there are power outages after a cat4+ storm... buggr off. Like I said earlier, if they can't restore power in a reasonable amount of time, then you have a grievance.
Why is this the event of measure? Why are the previous events where they didn’t restore power in a timely fashion not applicable?

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
These companies have already secured rate increases and funding based on promises to do this work. Repeatedly. And they have never completed the task.
It is ongoing work....

Tha Realest

It’s really jarring to read these first hand reports of the ways the current resorts are handling this vs some FB groups I’m in (Disney dining reservations, DVC members) wondering if they can still get party tickets and TSR reservations for Friday…

CJR

We made it OK, power still on and no damage. Very lucky this time, it seems. Irma did damage, so we're happy to not have any just five years later. Mortgage values are up from 2017, so filing a insurance claim would be significantly more expensive than it was then (deductible rates are usually tied to the value of your home for hurricanes). Prayers for anyone who wasn't as fortunate.

Orlando appears to be very hit and miss it seems. Some coworkers had flooding, others were untouched mostly.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Thanks. Not that this necessarily matters in the grand scheme of things, but given that this is a WDW forum, do you expect for them to reopen tomorrow?
I’d say there’s more chance than not but nothing is certain yet. It’s still damp and windy and the ROCs would need plenty of assistance from cast who may not be able to get to work to help out. As always DAK may be the park that needs the most clean up.

Currently there’s a lot of company mobilisation across property.

ToTBellHop

Thanks. Not that this necessarily matters in the grand scheme of things, but given that this is a WDW forum, do you expect for them to reopen tomorrow?
I know Springs is being prioritized—food for resort guests. Beyond that, I’d be impressed if they can actually offer MNSSHP tomorrow. They need to determine how many CMs are available to work. The parks seem fine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom