The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

mickEblu

Original Poster
And you can’t figure out why your intentions are being questioned?

So you ignored the part about it being an instant unfiltered reaction?

Nobody else Is more honest and puts themselves out there to be dissected more on these forums than me. Most people, including yourself, keep their cards very close to their chest. You could be Buffalo Bill for all we know.

Californian Elitist

I can understand where you might feel this way but I still feel the question was innocent and not meant to be divisive. I guess I'm giving @mickEblu the benefit of the doubt.

Would the question have been taken differently if it was from a gay man? For example, my cousin who is gay, has a real issue with "over the top" (exactly his terms) representation of the gay community. We've had long discussions as I'm always concerned for him, his husband and his 2 sons and how they will be judged by others. He feels that the gay community pushes representation to the point of diluting the message, making it far less impactful, especially around events like Pride month. His opinion while he understands the intent, the message can cause more harm and create further division and he just wants to go about life and not be "highlighted" for the life he lives. Personally, I have zero issues with it and have more than my share of social media fights with fans in the hockey community that feel teams should stick to sports and not post anything around social causes.
Yes, I would have had the same reaction because it still would have been worded poorly. That’s the issue here. I’m not suggesting that people can’t express their opinion. I’m saying that thought should be taken into wording before publishing.

Let’s just say that if I were a professor and two students came to me with this proposal for a paper/thesis topic, I’d reject the initial proposal and would accept the one I wrote.
I mean sure I could have worded my post a bit differently. My opening line doesn’t even make sense as Disney obviously knows straight people exist. What you got was an unfiltered instant reaction to a feeling I had upon seeing some repetitive posts. The screenshots you shared earlier do show a lot more diversity. It’s not something I’m Uber aware of but a few months ago there were a string of posts that seemed very repetitive and calculated. I’m not sure if that was Photo Pass, something else or if maybe some have been taken down.

Anyway I’m a little turned off by how careful people have to be with their words these days. So you could say I’m here to balance it out a little. Subconsciously I think I have the desire to go against this very troubling trend.
And that’s all I’m saying. It could have been worded better. I think you brought up something valuable to discuss, but your wording turned me off from it.

We’ve always had to be careful with how we word things. This is not new to this generation. When have we ever been able to walk around and say whatever we want without consequences or side eyes? Be honest…would you, word-for-word, ask your boss and colleagues that same question? Are you not careful with how you word things?

Filtering is needed and always has been needed.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Yes, I would have had the same reaction because it still would have been worded poorly. That’s the issue here. I’m not suggesting that people can’t express their opinion. I’m saying that thought should be taken into wording before publishing.

Let’s just say that if I were a professor and two students came to me with this proposal for a paper/thesis topic, I’d reject the initial proposal and would accept the one I wrote.

And that’s all I’m saying. It could have been worded better. I think you brought up something valuable to discuss, but your wording turned me off from it.

We’ve always had to be careful with how we word things. This is not new to this generation. When have we ever been able to walk around and say whatever we want without consequences or side eyes? Be honest…would you, word-for-word, ask your boss and colleagues that same question? Are you not careful with how you word things?

Filtering is needed and always has been needed.

No of course not because I don’t want to risk being fired and have a family to feed which of course opens up another can of worms and plays right into what I’m saying.

It’s Always been needed but never to the degree that it’s needed today.

Dear Prudence

I made the final payment on my flight ticket, I am set to go to Disneyland, for what will probably be the last time. I am trying to not get that emotional about it, but it's gotten the best of me. I know the choice to not go anymore is mine, and it's a choice that I have made and no one else, no one DID this to me, but I am still, very, very sad. I know that there are a lot of things going on in the world right now, but you know, we can care about more than one thing at once.

Californian Elitist

No of course not because I don’t want to risk being fired and have a family to feed which of course opens up another can of worms and plays right into what I’m saying.

It’s Always been needed but never to the degree that it’s needed today.
So you would agree that we do need to watch what we say. Just making sure.

There was a time where if you said the wrong thing, you were labeled a “commie” and faced actual consequences, such as being terminated from your job. Even longer ago, women were labeled witches and burned at the stake for saying the wrong thing. Now has never been a better time to express oneself.

People tend to think that things were so different back then, but they weren’t. The biggest difference is incredibly fast access to millions of different opinions online, making it very easy to consume said different opinions. Nothing’s changed, besides the speed with which we receive information and opinions.

People have been questioning how much freedom of speech they have in this country for literally hundreds of years.

Stevek

This has never happened. Not here in the States, at least.
I think it really depends on the time period. There were certainly things that were acceptable in the 60's, 70's or even when I was a youth in the 80's that nobody would have persecuted people for saying. Many of those things have become taboo to say the least and we have to be far more careful what we say, rightfully so in some cases. But I also feel that at times, we far overcorrect.

Californian Elitist

I think it really depends on the time period. There were certainly things that were acceptable in the 60's, 70's or even when I was a youth in the 80's that nobody would have persecuted people for saying. Many of those things have become taboo to say the least and we have to be far more careful what we say, rightfully so in some cases. But I also feel that at times, we far overcorrect.
For who, though? Straight, white people? Because I can think of a few things that black people couldn’t say or do during those times. Gay and queer people also shouldn’t be included in these eras.

Can’t include everyone in this.

Stevek

I made the final payment on my flight ticket, I am set to go to Disneyland, for what will probably be the last time. I am trying to not get that emotional about it, but it's gotten the best of me. I know the choice to not go anymore is mine, and it's a choice that I have made and no one else, no one DID this to me, but I am still, very, very sad. I know that there are a lot of things going on in the world right now, but you know, we can care about more than one thing at once.
You'll be fine with time. I used to go very frequently, I'll probably go less than 10 times with my Magic Key. I'm a the point where I don't think I'll miss going for a long time. It's no different than when I made the decision to not get an AP for 2 years and only went once per year during that time period.

Californian Elitist

Enjoy your trip!

Stevek

For who, though? Straight, white people? Because I can think of a few things that black people couldn’t say or do during those times. Gay and queer people also shouldn’t be included in these eras.

Can’t include everyone in this.
Well of course but there were still people of color in the media back in the 60s and 70s (guys like Red Foxx and Richard Pryor) that could say what they wanted. I dealt with hispanics and a handful of people of color that had no problem making racially insensitive comments toward white kids in school. But I stand by my comment in general terms of what I was around every day, the same way you had a different experience.

Californian Elitist

Well of course but there were still people of color in the media back in the 60s and 70s (guys like Red Foxx and Richard Pryor) that could say what they wanted. But I stand by my comment in general terms of what I was around every day, the same way you had a different experience.
Celebrities have always had some sort of pass.

Agree to disagree.

EDIT: I can almost guarantee that if social media existed in Pryor’s time, there would have been people on there disagreeing with his jokes, calling them distasteful, etc.

Last edited:

Phroobar

Have a great time and enjoy yourself. Don't get sick when you return. I always do after a vacation.
Look at the bright side. After you do your last trip to Disneyland, you can now see the rest of California and the country in general.

Dear Prudence

Have a great time and enjoy yourself. Don't get sick when you return. I always do after a vacation.
Look at the bright side. After you do your last trip to Disneyland, you can now see the rest of California and the country in general.
I've done a lot of traveling in the *before* era. My body actually hates traveling and time changes, so Disney was also a safe option (because I could also always find something that accommodated my allergies). Maybe I could do a bit more local exploring for now.

mlayton144

Well of course but there were still people of color in the media back in the 60s and 70s (guys like Red Foxx and Richard Pryor) that could say what they wanted. I dealt with hispanics and a handful of people of color that had no problem making racially insensitive comments toward white kids in school. But I stand by my comment in general terms of what I was around every day, the same way you had a different experience.

I think the objection of some or even many white folks is that we as a group have limitations put on us of what is “acceptable speech” that people of color don’t have. So it’s really not the concepts or points that people are trying to make, it’s who is saying it. The free speech rules don’t apply equally to races in todays society and the media. I get it from a historical perspective and trying to right the wrongs - but let’s be real these aren’t about free speech/rights - it’s really about social justice and social engineering. I’m not so sure this is what really changes hearts and minds - but in the coming years and decades we are going to find out.

Stevek

I think the objection of some or even many white folks is that we as a group have limitations put on us of what is “acceptable speech” that people of color don’t have. So it’s really not the concepts or points that people are trying to make, it’s who is saying it. The free speech rules don’t apply equally to races in todays society and the media. I get it from a historical perspective and trying to right the wrongs - but let’s be real these aren’t about free speech/rights - it’s really about social justice and social engineering. I’m not so sure this is what really changes hearts and minds - but in the coming years and decades we are going to find out.
That probably isn't just limited to people of color, I'm sure there are terms that I could not use with hispanics for example but they use them in every day conversation. And it's not limited to race. I certainly could not call a gay man a "queen" (not that I ever would) yet the term is used frequently within the gay community towards each other. This also applies to music where there is no way I could sing certain rap songs that contain the n-word because I'm white. We've had this discussion here before...offensive is offensive and color of skin should not give you a pass though I've been told that I'm wrong here for thinking that way because races can say whatever they want to each other as the term has a different meeting within a race...I still call BS on that but I'm sure others here would agree to disagree.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

I got an Enchant Key a couple months back and have been able to experience the delightful OG Haunted Mansion several times recently, after years of not riding (thanks to lengthy refurbs, covid, and Jack Skellington).

I really like the April-December portrait, the cat statue, and the divider, candles, and extended wallpaper in the loading area. A gigantic improvement, IMO. Hopefully one day that type/level of theming will fill the entire loading space.

Other HM thoughts:
  • Why do people race through the portrait hallway? I always try my best to lag behind, at least long enough to see all the portraits change
  • Nighttime may seem like the spookiest time to experience the attraction, but when your eyes are already adjusted to darkness, you can spot imperfections throughout the experience; the perceived darkness during morning visits adds its own layer of immersion
  • The creepy waltz in the Ballroom is so perfect, but it plays at a much lower volume than I remember. They should crank it up for maximum creepiness
  • I love when playful spooks interrupt the tour, no matter where it happens in the ride
  • The projection of Constance's face is universally ridiculed (justifiably), but the projection onto Little Leota is also pretty bad. And Little Leota's acting makes me cringe. Not sure if this is a hot take.
  • I love Thurl Ravenscroft, but the singing busts effect should be plussed-up. Not sure if this might also be a hot take.
  • Do the caretaker's legs shake at Disneyland, or is that only at MK? Can't remember. Possibly a broken effect.
  • With Pirates closed, this is the best ride in the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom