News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.

celluloid

Haven’t read through the bulk of the recent posts on this thread, so apologies if this timeline was known, but Anika Noni Rose was on Live with Kelly and Ryan this morning and spoke about the redo opening in 2024. There was no clarity as to whether this was for DL or WDW (or both). Even though they’re not changing the track, this just seems like a quick turnaround given we’re nearly halfway through 2022 and Disney’s slow pace as of late.

She sounds like the new Harry Anderson.

Comped

There is no way in hell it is opening in 2024 at the rate which Disney builds. It would have to close tomorrow.
It would have to close tomorrow, probably be closed for 3 years or more with the level of stuff they want to do with, not to mention they might have to deal with if they want to deal with structural and other issues, and would cost them a boatload of money they don't really want to spend at this point...

I'm pretty sure she was told to say this as a way to shut up people who wanted news. At this point I won't believe it happens until Disney closes them both down.

celluloid

So you mean 2007? That's when The Haunted Mansion's last (and, really, first) major refurbishment was, and since then it's recieved a decent amount of attention relative to the other attractions in the Magic Kingdom. 2010 happens to be a year I didn't make it to the parks, but I doubt that show quality at the newly refurbed Mansion dipped significantly after 2009 and jumped back up in 2011.

No notes on the maintenance levels of the rest of the parks, however. We've seen some shocking lows at WDW in the last 15 years.

Sorry. Typo. 2007 pre refurb was the terrible ripped.scrim.and entire show scene elements missing(such as bicycle ghosts) . 2010 is when the late hours and even less maintenance accelerated.

celluloid

Agreed, it may have been a slip but no Disney social is pushing this so I will wait for the official announcement.

They offer her a bus driving position soon. The thing people need to remember is she is voice talent for them. It is not like they call her with park updates.

Disney could have it by then, and was probably the original goal, because they want it to follow the next big character push after audiences are aware of that Disney Plus show and new merch.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Took them 5 years to produce a copy cat of a 120 second long coaster and we're expected to believe they will refurbish a half a mile long attraction in 24-30 months?
They did TOT -> Guardians MB in 5 months, California Screamin -> Incredicoaster in 5 months, TGMR-MMRR in 30 months, and Maelstrom to Frozen in 21 months. So yeah they CAN do it.

Comped

They did TOT -> Guardians MB in 5 months, California Screamin -> Incredicoaster in 5 months, TGMR-MMRR in 30 months, and Maelstrom to Frozen in 21 months. So yeah they CAN do it.
Maybe at Disneyland, and that's a stretch assuming they don't touch any of the structural stuff or electrical or anything else beyond a literal Frozen job, but in Orlando I doubt it because it needs significant structural work and there's electrical problems as well. They could do it in 6 months if they use Frozen as a template and not touch anything related to the mountain itself, but that is extremely unlikely.

celluloid

30 months is a fun way to say 2 and a half years. Ha.

The best comparison since this is a water ride with some scene overhauls and figures going out with new ones and sets being installed would be Maelstrom, and we all know that took far too long.
Let's not even list Incredicoaster. The fact that what they did took 5 months is pathetic.

Last edited:

TheMaxRebo

a certain website is running with this as if it’s an official announcement for both parks. She didn’t specify a park?

Heck, she didn't even specify it being the Splash overlay just that "a ride" coming in 2024

Definitely not taking this as anything official, but maybe will prompt Disney to put out a more formal statement with some more details

Disney Glimpses

Are you serious? Haha, every single one of those is a fraction of the size/complexity of the Splash Mountain project. They haven't even shut it down and we're expected to believe it will be complete in the calendar year after next? Even if they were working on it right now it would be a stretch. They aren't even doing that, not at least on site.

Comped

Heck, she didn't even specify it being the Splash overlay just that "a ride" coming in 2024

Definitely not taking this as anything official, but maybe will prompt Disney to put out a more formal statement with some more details
She only mentioned "an attraction", and did not mention Splash Muntain by name. Which could be something far different. I checked with some people and they gave me an interesting tidbit... From what I'm hearing it could be a small as an Enchanted Tales with Belle type of experience, if they didn't want to take Splash down and wanted to cheapen out on the experience.

Surferboy567

The way this news was released seems weird. Not sure if I believe it, but I guess they have been working on this since they announced it (at least).

I have made my opinions on this clear, so no need to reissue them.

EDIT: Assuming this is accurate, Splash would have to close soon? Seems like a fast turnaround like others have said. Can be done, but definitely fast.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
She only mentioned "an attraction", and did not mention Splash Muntain by name. Which could be something far different. I checked with some people and they gave me an interesting tidbit... From what I'm hearing it could be a small as an Enchanted Tales with Belle type of experience, if they didn't want to take Splash down and wanted to cheapen out on the experience.
I don't think there is any chance of them backing out of removing Splash. I would be fairly certain she was referring to the original concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom