News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Comped

Am I the only one that thinks this project is incredibly financially irresponsible right now? The financial health of the company wasn't good enough to build some new things at EPCOT that would actually attract guests but it is good enough to re-theme an already immensely popular attraction. And then there are the massive macro economic factors that are going to ultimately affect Disney's attendance as we inch closer to a recession.
No you're not, not in the slightest!

celluloid

I don't think Eisner hated Song of the South the way Iger did. After all, Esiner approved the 1986 re-release in theaters, he greenlit a Song of the South-themed Splash Mountain and allowed the movie to be sold on VHS overseas. I think Eisner was afraid of the backlash a U.S. release would cause, whereas Iger disliked the movie itself.

Then Iger approved Mars Needs Moms and similar situations, so I think it is clear who had a better palate for art.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
You can check back in the thread for the previous hundred times that's been brought up.
'though never explained.

Personally I don't know if Mama Odie's enchantment is powerful enough to pull it off so I can only naturally assume that Disney has somehow perfected the Stilinski tech from "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" and we'll somehow be shrink-rayed in the queue. It's from this frog-sized perspective where it starts to make sense.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
'though never explained.

Personally I don't know if Mama Odie's enchantment is powerful enough to pull it off so I can only naturally assume that Disney has somehow perfected the Stilinski tech from "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" and we'll somehow be shrink-rayed in the queue. It's from this frog-sized perspective where it starts to make sense.
Talking about scale, I'm still waiting for an explanation of how a hill can be called a mountain. Or how being thrown into a briar patch is thematically represented by a 50 foot drop on a water slide. Was B'rer Rabbit thrown 50 feet into the air first before landing in the patch? By way of a water sluice?

celluloid

Talking about scale, I'm still waiting for an explanation of how a hill can be called a mountain. Or how being thrown into a briar patch is thematically represented by a 50 foot drop on a water slide.

This is actually explained in original queue work, and railroad narratives and signage of the station. The ride's opening scene after you see(and when working) hear Brer Frog you see Rocketry Racoon's still just across from the critter elixer wagon to explain why the old hill and mines are flooded.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

I mean, this does keep getting delayed for WDW. Maybe it will get delayed so long that they forget to do it. Or we get a new CEO. There are certainly discussions over appropriate timing for the work. It kind of needs to be next year to reopen with Epic Universe. So if it is delayed again, I suspect it will just be canceled for WDW.

DLR has no such luck.

Phil12

I mean, this does keep getting delayed for WDW. Maybe it will get delayed so long that they forget to do it. Or we get a new CEO. There are certainly discussions over appropriate timing for the work. It kind of needs to be next year to reopen with Epic Universe. So if it is delayed again, I suspect it will just be canceled for WDW.

DLR has no such luck.
There is no cancellation in the works, it's just going to take a long time:

Melissa Valiquette, vice president of Magic Kingdom Park at Walt Disney World in Florida, told the Orlando Sentinel replacing the ride was a “lengthy process” and was “going to take some time.”

“Sometimes decisions can be made many, many months, even years” about an attraction being replaced before the new attraction is open to the public, Valiquette said, and “it’s going to take us a little bit of time to reimagine Splash Mountain.”

Valiquette did not say when Splash Mountain would close to start construction on the new attraction, and Disney has not yet responded to a request for comment on the timeline.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No

Melissa Valiquette, vice president of Magic Kingdom Park at Walt Disney World in Florida, told the Orlando Sentinel replacing the ride was a “lengthy process” and was “going to take some time.”

“Sometimes decisions can be made many, many months, even years” about an attraction being replaced before the new attraction is open to the public, Valiquette said, and “it’s going to take us a little bit of time to reimagine Splash Mountain.”

Valiquette did not say when Splash Mountain would close to start construction on the new attraction, and Disney has not yet responded to a request for comment on the timeline.

"racist splash mountain" was that necessary?

ToTBellHop

They were building the Main Street Theater until they weren’t. I will accept it is happening when the existing ride closes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom