News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Centauri Space Station

I mean cmon they pretty much did. I’d guess that if they knew how much they were scaling back plans, they’d have never bulldozed it.

Yeah this was very conscious… Creations Shop, Connections Cafe, Communicore Hall. Poor Journey of Water won’t even connect so I guess the name is fine.
JOW is in World Nature and the C stuff is all World Celebration so sorta works...

Epcot82Guy

The 3/4 symmetry makes absolutely no sense. I really hope there is some plan to put something in NW besides a few trees. Even a small art installation or something with some height would help.

The more I look, the more of an epic design failure this continues to be. If they really needed these components, it would have been better to have put CommiCore in NW. Then, they could have reworked Journey of Water into Dreamer's Garden or something like that - being an appropriate entry to Imagination, tying it to World Celebration. As it is now, the cut off of IMAG from WC makes even less sense.

While this is better than the table and I like some of the ideas, moving from arguably the best planned park to a mess like this is an impressive design failure.

James Alucobond

As it is now, the cut off of IMAG from WC makes even less sense.
I ... don't really see this as being the case? It's more open to World Celebration than any other pavilion with the new design. The southern portion of the new structure is literally just an open-air shade structure that allows people to flow freely into Communicore Plaza, which looks to be directly connected to Imagination via the bridge that cuts across the pond with the reverse waterfall, if I'm reading the site plan correctly.

EPCOT-O.G.

An interview with Zach and the future of EPCOT -

D412664F-37FF-49DE-8D12-4E929C2D3CCE.jpeg

Epcot82Guy

I ... don't really see this as being the case? It's more open to World Celebration than any other pavilion with the new design. The southern portion of the new structure is literally just an open-air shade structure that allows people to flow freely into Communicore Plaza, which looks to be directly connected to Imagination via the bridge that cuts across the pond with the reverse waterfall, if I'm reading the site plan correctly.

I can see what you are seeing. I was reading it differently - as a full facade facing the new planters (much like we had before). The stage is the covered area with the higher roof. It faces IMAG and CommuniCore Plaza. But, you don't pass through that. You walk around to the back side. If it is indeed an open air structure that passes through (so really a covered causeway vs. a true stage), then I would agree it creates a gateway of sorts to IMAG.

We'll have to see once more details emerge (as the concept art doesn't show the angle needed.)

James Alucobond

I can see what you are seeing. I was reading it differently - as a full facade facing the new planters (much like we had before). The stage is the covered area with the higher roof. It faces IMAG and CommuniCore Plaza. But, you don't pass through that. You walk around to the back side. If it is indeed an open air structure that passes through (so really a covered causeway vs. a true stage), then I would agree it creates a gateway of sorts to IMAG.

We'll have to see once more details emerge (as the concept art doesn't show the angle needed.)
Ah, I see what you're saying. I read the rounded edge of the stage shown below as likely terminating before it reaches the far edge of the overhang, but you're right that I probably shouldn't assume the full extent of the stage since it's blocked by trees in the other artwork.
1651869672957.png

Epcot82Guy

Ah, I see what you're saying. I read the rounded edge of the stage shown below as likely terminating before it reaches the far edge of the overhang, but you're right that I probably shouldn't assume the full extent of the stage since it's blocked by trees in the other artwork.

I certainly hope you are right. This would then be phase 1 of a developing "bridge area" to IMAG (someday), which could actually make for a nice transition. Though, with current design trends, I hope that is well into a future where a new, better equipped WDI is calling the shots for any IMAG updates.

EDIT: And thinking about it, I actually wish they would hold off and make that area Dreamer's Point - having space for a new Fountain in the main plaza again.

James Alucobond

EDIT: And thinking about it, I actually wish they would hold off and make that area Dreamer's Point - having space for a new Fountain in the main plaza again.
I don’t think Dreamers Point would be the right spot anyway unless you did, like, a waterfall cascading down in place of the terraced flower beds. The idea is that you enter Dreamers Point directly after the main plaza, so you probably wouldn’t want to repeat the exact same visual language from the plaza itself.

Still, if they ever want a fountain again in Celebration, they literally have a Fountain of Nations-shaped void where the Fountain of Nations used to be.

Epcot82Guy

I don’t think Dreamers Point would be the right spot anyway unless you did, like, a waterfall cascading down in place of the terraced flower beds. The idea is that you enter Dreamers Point directly after the main plaza, so you probably wouldn’t want to repeat the exact same visual language from the plaza itself.

Still, if they ever want a fountain again in Celebration, they literally have a Fountain of Nations-shaped void where the Fountain of Nations used to be.
I agree. And I actually meant reworking the entire area where Dreamer's and the logo planter are now. Expand the Logo Planter into a Logo Fountain. (Not the scale of FON.)

I also agree you could do that void, but it would add to the bottleneck issue significantly I fear. You need that as walking space to WS. (I think bottlenecks are going to be more problematic than we think on the site plan, especially since the walkways aren't quite as delineated as before. It will be interesting to see if this gets crowd confusion like DS Town Center and Landing do.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom