News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

lazyboy97o

Complaints:
Epcot is dated.
Barren concrete.
Lifeless.
Open and hot.

Fixed:
Colorful.
Live acts.
Shade.
Nature.

Not Fixed - for those who harken for it:
A return to showcases of "tomorrow" that can't be installed because they're dated by installation time.
A return to dark rides that show a future that we realize now will never come.
"Edutainment" that very few people want, and certainly don't go to a them park to find.
Big blank walls are such a great fix. You’ll be able to so easily move through them! They replaced a big open, glazed building with a smaller more solid building and a giant planter you can walk in from the other side but not through. There’s nothing on your “fixed” list that required demolition and the new stuff is mostly copying what was there. Any issues of being able to move through the center are now worse. No matter what they do, no matter how much they contradict themselves it’s spun as fresh, new and different.

Vinnie Mac

Complaints:
Epcot is dated.
Barren concrete.
Lifeless.
Open and hot.

Fixed:
Colorful.
Live acts.
Shade.
Nature.

A return to showcases of "tomorrow" that can't be installed because they're dated by installation time.
"Edutainment" that very few people want, and certainly don't go to a them park to find.
So what I'm gathering is that the changes are going to make EPCOT a more "alive" and active park but with the cost of having to kinda stray away from its original theme?

Casper Gutman

Complaints:
Epcot is dated.
Barren concrete.
Lifeless.
Open and hot.

Fixed:
Colorful.
Live acts.
Shade.
Nature.

This is a wildly ahistorical and cynical post, but putting that aside, what you are basically doing is celebrating that Disney spent millions of dollars and shut down a third of a full-admission-price park for several years in order to add some trees. That’s what your praise boils down to - colorful, shade, nature - trees. The live acts were a LOT more plentiful in the old days, before massive budget cuts.

What’s the theme of the EPCOT theme park after this opens? What is its guiding principle?

Vinnie Mac

This is a wildly ahistorical and cynical post, but putting that aside, what you are basically doing is celebrating that Disney spent millions of dollars and shut down a third of a full-admission-price park for several years in order to add some trees. That’s what your praise boils down to - colorful, shade, nature - trees. The live acts were a LOT more plentiful in the old days, before massive budget cuts.

What’s the theme of the EPCOT theme park after this opens? What is its guiding principle?
Calm Down Chill Out GIF

Incomudro

So what I'm gathering is that the changes are going to make EPCOT a more "alive" and active park but with the cost of having to kinda stray away from its original theme?
The original theme has been dead for decades.
It wasn't coming back.
It's not coming back.
Most people don't want it back.
For those looking for that - go to a tech fair.

Incomudro

Cynical?
I'm not the cynic.
I'm celebrating this.
They're not "adding some trees" - there's that over simplification again.
Honestly, I really don't care what the theme of Epcot is - nor what it's guiding principal is.
It's going to be beautiful, colorful, modern (new modern that's alive - not cold, sterile, grey modern) and alive - (again.)
Oh, and fun.
I could care less what theme or guiding principal those things may fall under.

EPCOT-O.G.

Pay $150 to walk around and eat/drink from our similarly expensive food and drink booths

lazyboy97o

I don't think we know until everything is done and open. It's not going to be 1982 EPCOT Center, but until everything is open, there could still be changes. Maybe it sucks, maybe it's cool, maybe it's in-between.
More than enough is publicly known to identify a theme. They’re building a meet and greet and a stage. What is the theme of that? How it looks is an expression of theme, not the theme itself.

kalel8145

Is it not true? Did they announce something else? Why is it so hard to answer what should be a simple question for a theme park?
I believe I did answer. I don't know what the theme is. If you can deduce the theme,great. I'll take your word for it. It's meet and greets and festivals. Either way it is fine with me. I still enjoy it and think the concept art looks good. So dramatic.....

EPCOT-O.G.

One can decide not to pay the money to go. The are you gonna pay $150 discussion is not really valid. It's the individual's $150. The value is relative to them. Not what someone else thinks.
Do you disagree that the park has functionally turned into a festival hosting ground?

Vinnie Mac

The original theme has been dead for decades.
It wasn't coming back.
It's not coming back.
Most people don't want it back.
For those looking for that - go to a tech fair.
I don't blame Disney for EPCOT's original theme dying, I blame society. People just simply don't care as much about progress in technology. EPCOT fans still do I'm sure but I'm not making any bets on EPCOT fans making up any significant portion of the global population. The 80's was overall a time where people were more optimistic about the future ahead. Now that that future has already come (in a way) and people don't seem to care as much anymore about the future ahead, I doubt the theme would thrive today like it did back then. Disney was on to something with the whole Millenium celebration era, not sure why that ended. Maybe it was just meant to be short-lived.

I'd say that my generation (and yes I'm going to just say my generation because we are at some point going to be the majority of the market in the coming decades) is somewhat optimistic about future scenarios, just not the type of scenarios EPCOT would talk about. Is there plenty of "progress" to be talked about in EPCOT? Yes! But in the end it won't matter because unfortunately so far, my generation does not care about Edutainment. 80's EPCOT is what would be nice, but 2023-onward EPCOT is going to be what's preferred by most.

Vinnie Mac

Lot of posts in here showing why Disney is moving away from uniquely themed experiences to just making everything characters.

Because if people don’t care about theme in your theme parks, why bother trying to make one other than Disney?
Theming isn't the issue here. Whether you like the inclusion of IP or not is up to you but I don't think theming is the issue. I don't see Six Flags with a Cosmic Rewind or a Space 220 (Not IP but point still stands).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom