News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

JMcMahonEsq

I've seen multiple people say this and I don't think the data backs it up, although I could be mistaken.

The drop is definitely part of the appeal, but I don't think it would get the wait times it gets if it was just a log flume with bare minimum theming. Last time I was at the Magic Kingdom, Splash had the second longest wait in the park behind 7DMT, and this was in January when it wasn't even hot. The last time I was at Universal, neither of the log flume rides were among the busiest rides at Islands of Adventure. Jurassic Park did have a longer wait than Ripsaw Falls, though, and I'm guessing the more elaborate theming is a big part of that.
I have to agree. I had similar experiences at Hershey park with their flume ride not being close to as popular as SM or the other rides there.

Obviously just a personal opinion but I enjoyed Splash in spite of the drop. When I finally begrudgingly rode splash for the first time back in 16, I was shocked at how amazing the animatronics and the "ride" portion of the ride was. I had always thought it was just a big drop, and didn't realize how much more the ride offered. That's why I am hopefully for the conversion. I love Navi River, but echo most of the complaints i have heard with it being too short. They have a chance with this ride to really build out a great dark water ride....which then has a big drop. If we get Navi...but over the length of the Splash Mountain ride, it will be one of the best attractions out there. If we get Frozen.....well, the drop is still going to get people there, but I don't think the Princess and Frog IP is as strong as Frozen to still have kids clamoring for the ride.

Oddysey

I've seen multiple people say this and I don't think the data backs it up, although I could be mistaken.

The drop is definitely part of the appeal, but I don't think it would get the wait times it gets if it was just a log flume with bare minimum theming. Last time I was at the Magic Kingdom, Splash had the second longest wait in the park behind 7DMT, and this was in January when it wasn't even hot. The last time I was at Universal, neither of the log flume rides were among the busiest rides at Islands of Adventure. Jurassic Park did have a longer wait than Ripsaw Falls, though, and I'm guessing the more elaborate theming is a big part of that.

This! The show in Splash Mountain is what makes it so special and different. It’s the creativity in the outdoor scenes, it’s the laughing place, it’s the grand celebration at the end. “It’s true, it’s actual, every thing is satisfactual.” Splash Mountain is a show that just happens to have a big drop. It is in my opinion, one of the greatest and most imaginative attractions to ever exist. I will not ride log flume rides at other parks because it is not worth getting wet. I will ride SM every trip despite getting wet. Great attraction with great and fun story telling.

Dear Prudence

You're right. But that wouldn't be a bad thing for many guests. Frankly, on a log flume ride, the theming is not all that important. No one really cares about the predicable outcome on Splash Mountain. We know that the clever little bunny is going to outsmart the stupid bear and fox. And it's really not a good idea to use a trickster rabbit as a good example for children. The reason why folks ride the attraction is because of the 55 foot drop as the crescendo. They could theme the ride to Home on the Range with cardboard cutouts and still get huge crowds.
Trickster Rabbits were absolutely used as examples and guides from the cultures they were stolen from. 🥲 In fact, they were tools of survival, and in many cases were God's.

Dear Prudence

This! The show in Splash Mountain is what makes it so special and different. It’s the creativity in the outdoor scenes, it’s the laughing place, it’s the grand celebration at the end. “It’s true, it’s actual, every thing is satisfactual.” Splash Mountain is a show that just happens to have a big drop. It is in my opinion, one of the greatest and most imaginative attractions to ever exist. I will not ride log flume rides at other parks because it is not worth getting wet. I will ride SM every trip despite getting wet. Great attraction with great and fun story telling.
If the themeing weren't impeccable, I would not ride it, period. I absolutely hate water rides, especially ones where you get wet. I make exceptions Disney Parks because it serves a narrative purpose.

Tonto

It would not be a bad thing for SOME guests. But that is the point of a quality theme park. Aim for the highest you can get away with and have things that if they were not there, people would miss it, even if they do not notice.

I love Dudley Do Right's Ripsaw Falls, it is more of a wet water ride with some punny cartoon fun. The mission of that log flume is different, but Splash Mountain is the best of the best for the reasons people do know and some that people are not aware of. Otherwise, why even have a mountain? Just a structure would have been fine.

Also. 52*
Talk about a ride in need of a re theme or at least a hefty renovation. Dudley always seems to be in poor condition. Great ride though!

erasure fan1

The show in Splash Mountain is what makes it so special and different. It’s the creativity in the outdoor scenes, it’s the laughing place, it’s the grand celebration at the end. “It’s true, it’s actual, every thing is satisfactual.” Splash Mountain is a show that just happens to have a big drop. It is in my opinion, one of the greatest and most imaginative attractions to ever exist.
Yes splash mountain was a masterpiece. The themeing is what makes it so special. That is one of the main reasons why this redo is making so many worry.
I will not ride log flume rides at other parks because it is not worth getting wet. I will ride SM every trip despite getting wet. Great attraction with great and fun story telling.
But I still think a lot of people will ride just because it is a major ride, in the busiest park in the world. Will it still be one of the most beloved rides in the world if the redo is 2nd rate? No, of course not. But I just don't see a situation where it doesn't have lines.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
IMG_20211108_092058_568.jpg

IMG_20211108_092101_615.jpg

Seems some artwork in Disney Springs got painted over

Last edited:

Dear Prudence

Purely emotional responses really are not.

Disney does not like to acknowledge really anything pre 1989 Mermaid if there is not a sudden purse line.
It just doesn't... even remotely....mesh with reality. 😵🙃 this is some Alternative Facts borderline fake news level. If you want to remove the Brers, okay, I guess, but then...replace them with a timeline comparable replacement.

celluloid

It just doesn't... even remotely....mesh with reality. 😵🙃 this is some Alternative Facts borderline fake news level. If you want to remove the Brers, okay, I guess, but then...replace them with a timeline comparable replacement.

I think we are past the Disney detail or obvious that cared about that. Looking at the art style for the changed queue of The Jungle Cruise among many other things that are more mainstream guest facing than the mural. I think it was probably some project with angst or a quick thought, as the 50th store still has a giant Brer Bear Painted on the wall. If it is in fact a real changed corner of the mural and not just shopped.

LittleBuford

I don't think you're a bad Disney fan for asking this question at all. I think that sort of proves a point. It's somewhere in Disney Springs (I don't remember where), and it's specifically meant to highlight characters from pre-2000.
Thanks! Do you know how I might find it on Google? I tried searching and got nowhere with the keywords I was using.

Dear Prudence

Update: it's a smaller scale painting that is... close to the floor. This is probably why we can't find images of it in a Google search. I am still trying to find where exactly it's located, but all of the images I have seen of it thus far have indicated it's......close to/ next to the floor. 🙃 😐😑

Edit: she's also not near any of the other human characters or Princesses 😕

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom