News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinnie Mac

Not really, no. I can dislike the retheme because it's a retheme. I can also appreciate the end results of said retheme if I think it'll be successful based on released information or after having ridden it. But like you said: View attachment 595667
Don't know exactly what you're disagreeing with considering the fact that I basically restated your point while adding to it. but hey if you disagree with yourself that works perfectly for me. Just don't go calling people woke or silly because they like the re-theme.

I like the re-theme based on minimal information and you hate the re-theme based on minimal information. if I'm silly, you're silly. If there's nothing wrong with what you believe, nothing wrong with what I believe, simple as that.

Michael Scott Reaction GIF

LittleBuford

This is of course a silly, extreme example but I can't understand this blind acceptance. Especially when we know next to nothing about it at this point. By all means be optimistic but...
I would say the same about the kneejerk pessimism. I think the sensible thing to do is wait and see before making any pronouncements.

Disney Glimpses

Surely this is not pessimism. If this were announced prior to 2020 I'd have a very different opinion on it. In fact, when it was announced while I was disappointed to see Splash go, I was excited to see what they were capable of with this attraction. Then pandemic continued, and continued, and continued and the financial state of the parks plummeted. Mass firings, construction delays, plans for the largest celebration at this park shuttered. So forgive me if I have trouble describing my skepticism that they can do this right at this current time as "pessimism." We have literal insider knowledge that says this budget is not good and no where near what it needs to be.

We are not getting a Flight of Passage or Rise of the Resistance level of detail here and that's what this attraction deserves. Frankly, for them to not give it that treatment is down right insulting to the cause they are claiming to promote. It reveals it as what it truly is: a social media pacifier.

celluloid

It is not undeserved pessimism when you review the latest works that are comparable.

Frozen got good enough and a few surprises with Maelstrom and made a ton more money and is a pop culture phenom that was a part of one of the highest ranking animated box office films of all time. It is the closest thing we have as a comparison and it was still not groundbreaking nor to the highest Disney standard of attraction work. It is mostly projections and entire black walls within the short ride based on such a hit.

Splash Mountain is serving as the dynamic base the same way Maelstrom served as the base. Splash is already popular and is famous world wide even if someone has never been on it. Princess and The Frog was lukewarm box office from over a decade ago. I don't think it is unreasonable for someone to think they are not going to go above and beyond with their recent track record to meet what they used to with Splash, when in fact they are already relying on the bones of what they used to be.

There is just cause to be more than concerned.

LittleBuford

A number of recent attractions—Flight of Passage, Rise of the Resistance, and Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway—have been pretty impressive. I think it’s an exaggeration, and perhaps even a misrepresentation, to say that today’s Disney isn’t capable of really good work.

Last edited:

dman1373

Now as much I would rather PATF have it’s own separate attraction I think Disney recognized it might have to make some changes to stay with the times. Nothing is wrong with them wanting to be more inclusive so I’m lost on your grievances because it seems like you want things to stay the same and not progress beyond where we are now.
i love how you quote me without even replying to any of the things i say. And also new overlay doesnt mean progress....there are plenty of cases of rides getting new overlays and then completely suck COUGH stitch COUGH

dman1373

Don't know exactly what you're disagreeing with considering the fact that I basically restated your point while adding to it. but hey if you disagree with yourself that works perfectly for me. Just don't go calling people woke or silly because they like the re-theme.

I like the re-theme based on minimal information and you hate the re-theme based on minimal information. if I'm silly, you're silly. If there's nothing wrong with what you believe, nothing wrong with what I believe, simple as that.

Michael Scott Reaction GIF
the fact that there is a retheme on arguably the best ride in the park and one of the most popular is the reason why its different. Its not like this is some average ride in the park where its a 50/50 chance of being better or worse. The majority of people love this ride, and its a massive staple.

UNCgolf

A number of recent attractions—Flight of Passage, Rise of the Resistance, and Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway—have been pretty impressive. I think it’s an exaggeration, and perhaps even a misrepresentation, to say that today’s Disney isn’t capable of really good work.

I'm not the biggest fan of Flight of Passage, and think MMRR could have been better in multiple ways, but I agree that at worst they are solid rides that are good additions to the parks.

I do think there's a big difference between building something new from scratch and retrofitting a new ride over an existing attraction. Frozen Ever After is quite bad and looks very cheaply done outside of the AAs -- Splash Mountain is a much longer ride and will require correspondingly more effort and money. I'm not automatically assuming it's going to be bad, but Disney hasn't shown much interest in building long, detailed attractions full of AAs recently. Even Rise only has a handful, assuming you don't count the room full of mostly motionless stormtroopers.

Regardless of all that, Splash is a masterpiece of Imagineering. It's going to be hard to live up to no matter what how much time, effort, and money they put into the new ride -- chances are it's going to be a lesser experience simply because of how difficult it is to build something of Splash's quality in general.

LittleBuford

I'm not the biggest fan of Flight of Passage, and think MMRR could have been better in multiple ways, but I agree that at worst they are solid rides that are good additions to the parks.

I do think there's a big difference between building something new from scratch and retrofitting a new ride over an existing attraction. Frozen Ever After is quite bad and looks very cheaply done outside of the AAs -- Splash Mountain is a much longer ride and will require correspondingly more effort and money. I'm not automatically assuming it's going to be bad, but Disney hasn't shown much interest in building long, detailed attractions full of AAs recently. Even Rise only has a handful, assuming you don't count the room full of mostly motionless stormtroopers.

Regardless of all that, Splash is a masterpiece of Imagineering. It's going to be hard to live up to no matter what how much time, effort, and money they put into the new ride -- chances are it's going to be a lesser experience simply because of how difficult it is to build something of Splash's quality in general.
I’m going to remain optimistic, if only because the PR angle here is one that Disney would be foolish to screw up.

I actually think Frozen Ever After is pretty well done. It doesn’t read as cheap to me, and one wouldn’t know it’s an overlay without being told. That said, I agree with you that the number of animatronics is likely to decrease in the rethemed Splash Mountain, and that certainly is a shame.

eddie104

i love how you quote me without even replying to any of the things i say. And also new overlay doesnt mean progress....there are plenty of cases of rides getting new overlays and then completely suck COUGH stitch COUGH
I’m gonna keep it cute and say a lot of things you stated I didn’t agree with. Frankly I don’t have the energy to make my point to someone who has already made their mind up.

I honestly saw a lot of political talking points being thrown around mixed with I think Disney is too woke for their own good. Which is a whole other conversation I would rather not have here.

doctornick

I think that's true to an extent, though I do feel the discussion has been especially negative with this particular project.
Perhaps but part of that is that Disney doesn’t seem to “do” this type of attraction anymore - long rides, filled with AAs and detailed scenes, with multiple musical pieces. I don’t think it’s surprising that people are fearful that the replacement will have fewer AAs and more sparse scenes and potentially less effective integration of music.

I guess a different way of putting it is that I don’t think WDI today would be able built Splash Mountain itself anymore if they were starting from scratch. Just doesn’t seem like it is in them.

Vinnie Mac

the fact that there is a retheme on arguably the best ride in the park and one of the most popular is the reason why its different. Its not like this is some average ride in the park where its a 50/50 chance of being better or worse. The majority of people love this ride, and its a massive staple.
Majority of people loved the Dragon Challenge attraction over in IOA but majority of people stopped whining about it when an entirely new attraction replaced it. I trust major theme parks to produce good attractions. I see lots of complaints but in the past few years what attraction built in WDW has had bad quality and everyone mutually agreed to dislike it ? No really, tell me.

I get not wanting a re-theme but hating an attraction that doesn't even exist and then calling other people silly for being excited over said non-existent attraction is the pure definition of hypocrisy. You have your opinion based on minimal information, I have my opinion based on minimal information. That's the way it is 👍🏾

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom