Crane at Cinderella Castle

S 2

I went for one single day 3 weeks ago and it was the first day they brought out the crane! I was annoyed but you can get creative and try and crop it out in a few areas, but noticed that later in the day they lowered it so it was hidden in a walled area in fantasyland until after the fireworks when they immediately brought it back out...

Not so much:
WDW Castle from Tommorowland02.jpg

With Crane:
WDW Hub Turret and Castle SMALL.jpg

Later that day it's hidden pretty well:

WDW Cinderellas Castle RiverB.jpg

Last edited:

Bocabear

OK, so lets entertain the concept of dropping Dreamlights. Couldn't the same thing be accomplished with castle projections, no lights, cranes or mats over the building visible during daylight hours. Problem solved. Projections it is.
Projections are a really poor replacement for actual Christmas decor and lighting... Trust me, I am a professional Christmas Decor Designer...the projections would never quite capture the look, and the ambient lighting all around the castle would have to be turned off in order to see the projections clearly...Can projections be used to add to the effect? Yes...but as a main source for the holiday, it would not work well.

Goofyernmost

So we were just there last week, and I now see what the big to-do is about the crane. This thing was reckless, dangerous, annoying, and Photobombed the heck out of us...

View media item 1576
That photobombing crane isn't the biggest of your problems. You also have a large speaker and a set of spotlights growing out of your head not to mention that little person growing out of your right arm. You didn't by any chance drink some of the lagoon water did you?

James Norrie

That photobombing crane isn't the biggest of your problems. You also have a large speaker and a set of spotlights growing out of your head. You didn't by any chance drink some of the lagoon water did you?

Nope, The Mickey Ears I ordered on eBay were apparently defects from the Chinese manufacturer and I just ran with it... :p

Goofyernmost

Projections are a really poor replacement for actual Christmas decor and lighting... Trust me, I am a professional Christmas Decor Designer...the projections would never quite capture the look, and the ambient lighting all around the castle would have to be turned off in order to see the projections clearly...Can projections be used to add to the effect? Yes...but as a main source for the holiday, it would not work well.
I was just being sarcastic. I do that!

Professortango1

For Disney, July practically is the end of summer, making most of August a bit slower and more suitable for refurbs. While we still have another two weeks here in NJ, most of the country is back to school now. You often have to trade lower crowd levels for more refurbishments.

Crazy, many schools don't go back into session until last week of August or just before Labor Day. Summer vacation is June through August.

Monorail_Red_77

Here's some pics I took last weekend 9/17. Enjoy!

Check out the height on the crane as compared to the top spire of Cinderella Castle.
IMG_5416.JPG

Here's a shot of the crane at ground level.
IMG_5495.JPG

And then looking up.....
IMG_5510.JPG

Nope! Higher Bob, all the way up!
IMG_5497.JPG

Here's the guys painting the gold on the spires and blue on the roof.

IMG_5508.JPG

IMG_5509.JPG

Here's a look from the front at the edge of mainstreet and hub.
IMG_5525.JPG

I'm not a beer guy but I like the Mickey Head on the lager. LOL

This ones a bit pixelated, but you can see the dreamlights netting here.
IMG_5507.JPG

Brad Bishop

I think that the crane is bad show.

If they're refurbishing the castle then, yeah, it makes perfect sense and you have to do it.. To have the crane there during guest hours for weeks at a time, both before and after the holidays, to put up a scene, essentially, isn't a good show.

Not that anyone at WDW is asking me but the solution is to either:
- have the crane down, at minimum, and, at best, move it backstage during the day
- find a different way to decorate the castle (some other way to have the lights up there; maybe a different kind of decoration altogether)

I know that there are those who will be upset if the castle isn't covered with tiny lights but:
- you wouldn't accept this at a play where they're putting up part of the set for the next act while you're trying to watch the current act and, then later, taking down the last set while you're trying to watch the current act
- unless I'm mistaken, they spend almost as long (possibly the same amount of time) putting the lights up with the crane, on both ends of the holidays as the lights actually being on for the holidays.

Puttles

I posted this in the trip planning forum but
I'm visiting for the first time from February 22nd until March 8th next year, I'm guessing it'll still be up when we visit? I'm not too bothered as it's my first time going and we're travelling all the way from the UK so I'd rather deal with the crane than not go at all haha :)

ABQ

In 2014, it was down by Sept 22, however, I do not believe any refurbishment was done along with the Dreamlight installation that year.

COProgressFan

I think that the crane is bad show.

If they're refurbishing the castle then, yeah, it makes perfect sense and you have to do it.. To have the crane there during guest hours for weeks at a time, both before and after the holidays, to put up a scene, essentially, isn't a good show.

Not that anyone at WDW is asking me but the solution is to either:
- have the crane down, at minimum, and, at best, move it backstage during the day
- find a different way to decorate the castle (some other way to have the lights up there; maybe a different kind of decoration altogether)

I know that there are those who will be upset if the castle isn't covered with tiny lights but:
- you wouldn't accept this at a play where they're putting up part of the set for the next act while you're trying to watch the current act and, then later, taking down the last set while you're trying to watch the current act
- unless I'm mistaken, they spend almost as long (possibly the same amount of time) putting the lights up with the crane, on both ends of the holidays as the lights actually being on for the holidays.

Completely agree with you. I've been saying the same thing for years, though be prepared for responses from posters who will tell us it doesn't matter and anyone whose vacation is "ruined" is just being silly. My vacation isn't "ruined" and no one else's is either, so there's no need for hyperbole.

But show matters. If the castle needs a major refurb on a 5 or 7 year schedule, so be it. It has to happen, its breaks the show a bit, but there isn't much choice.

But to have the crane hanging over the castle in full guest view, with workers hovering above castle shows, etc, for a solid 8 weeks every year -- it's just bad show, plan and simple. Set up work lights, do the work at night, pay the overtime, get a bigger crew and get the crane lowered every day before 9am. It would solve the problem, but would cost more money that way. And it's become abundantly clear that $$ trumps show.

Father Robinson

Original Poster
Completely agree with you. I've been saying the same thing for years, though be prepared for responses from posters who will tell us it doesn't matter and anyone whose vacation is "ruined" is just being silly. My vacation isn't "ruined" and no one else's is either, so there's no need for hyperbole.

But show matters. If the castle needs a major refurb on a 5 or 7 year schedule, so be it. It has to happen, its breaks the show a bit, but there isn't much choice.

But to have the crane hanging over the castle in full guest view, with workers hovering above castle shows, etc, for a solid 8 weeks every year -- it's just bad show, plan and simple. Set up work lights, do the work at night, pay the overtime, get a bigger crew and get the crane lowered every day before 9am. It would solve the problem, but would cost more money that way. And it's become abundantly clear that $$ trumps show.
So glad you and others feel this way. Vacation ruined, not at all but certainly agrivating to see it up during guest hours. And I know there's no real way to know the old (what would Walt think), but I'd be willing to bet that even in the 21st century Walt would still care deeply about show. Heck, why did he purchase 100s of acres of land to hide THE REAL WORLD from view? Like you and others have stated, if it's a total necessity, so be it. If it's up for 8 weeks a year during park hours, it's horrible show.

Biff215

I posted this in the trip planning forum but
I'm visiting for the first time from February 22nd until March 8th next year, I'm guessing it'll still be up when we visit? I'm not too bothered as it's my first time going and we're travelling all the way from the UK so I'd rather deal with the crane than not go at all haha :)
No guarantees, but I believe it should be down by then. Like anything else, they come down quicker than they go up, and since they are painting now, I'd assume they won't be doing any major work other than taking down the lights. We always see the crane during our late January trip, but I doubt it will last into late February. Just my guess!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom