Crane at Cinderella Castle

WDW Monorail

Many of the replies in this thread make me upset about the ineptitude of posters on this site. It's not surprising because I read nonsense on other threads as well.

rob0519

Your dismissive nature tries to paint people's objection to bad show as silly. Show is what makes Disney "Disney." People go to Disney because they are known for creating immersive environments with incredible detail that the average guest wouldn't even notice. This crane flies in the face of that. To many, it would be like riding through a darkride and seeing a step ladder and tool box in the middle of Peter Pan's flight over London or Splash Mountain's finale. Is it going to ruin anybody's day? No. It is bad show and incredibly un-Disney. Very much so.

Also NOBODY is saying that maintenance shouldn't be done. This has been pointed out to you repeatedly, yet you still purposefully play obtuse to mock valid criticism. People are saying that such routine maintenance and decorating which occurs annually should be done in way that doesn't impact visitors to the Magic Kingdom. They could do this work in the off hours, heck they can even adjust their hours to open the park at 10 during the fall to allow them more daytime hours to do this every year. There are a variety of options to keep the crane from being up and used during park hours. We know this because other Disney parks are able to do so and Magic Kingdom has done so previously.

Let's face it. At one time, in the past, Disney WAS known for creating immersive environments with incredible details. There is no way Journey of the Little Mermaid is up to their past standards. A ladder inside Splash Mountain is a bad comparison. It's much easier to remove a ladder than to remove a crane. People complain about animatronics not working, but they don't get fixed until a refurb is scheduled so the guests don't see the ladders. If Disney were to follow your idea of the customers not seeing a crane or construction because it ruins the "show" there would be no new Fantasyland because we could all see the construction going on. All those fences and narrow walkways totally ruined the MK for years.

Goofyernmost

Your dismissive nature tries to paint people's objection to bad show as silly. Show is what makes Disney "Disney." People go to Disney because they are known for creating immersive environments with incredible detail that the average guest wouldn't even notice. This crane flies in the face of that. To many, it would be like riding through a darkride and seeing a step ladder and tool box in the middle of Peter Pan's flight over London or Splash Mountain's finale. Is it going to ruin anybody's day? No. It is bad show and incredibly un-Disney. Very much so.

Also NOBODY is saying that maintenance shouldn't be done. This has been pointed out to you repeatedly, yet you still purposefully play obtuse to mock valid criticism. People are saying that such routine maintenance and decorating which occurs annually should be done in way that doesn't impact visitors to the Magic Kingdom. They could do this work in the off hours, heck they can even adjust their hours to open the park at 10 during the fall to allow them more daytime hours to do this every year. There are a variety of options to keep the crane from being up and used during park hours. We know this because other Disney parks are able to do so and Magic Kingdom has done so previously.
No, it's your thought that doing maintenance on a show building is a bad show is what is silly, self-absorbed and completely out of touch with reality. Or you really have no idea how a good show gets to be a good show. I really couldn't care less if you are upset or not. Becoming a mature adult will help you get over all those terrible traumatic problems of life. I will never feel that it is even debatable that this type of maintenance at this height at night is a thought of a caring, rational person. Perhaps one that has never heard of either OSHA or, as far as that goes, how colors vary between artificial light and daylight. Or the simple remembering that all other "show" buildings have scrims up when they are doing outside work. If you somehow think that a big old hunk of canvas is somehow a better show then an lone crane or people working then you have some serious vision problems. Might even be union rules, but, I suspect it is more a safety issue then anything else. So let's just stop the fantasy discussion and deal with real world obstacles. In the meantime... look the other way. That will be twice as effective as this discussion will ever be.

Professortango1

No, it's your thought that doing maintenance on a show building is a bad show is what is silly, self-absorbed and completely out of touch with reality. Or you really have no idea how a good show gets to be a good show. I really couldn't care less if you are upset or not. Becoming a mature adult will help you get over all those terrible traumatic problems of life. I will never feel that it is even debatable that this type of maintenance at this height at night is a thought of a caring, rational person. Perhaps one that has never heard of either OSHA or, as far as that goes, how colors vary between artificial light and daylight. Or the simple remembering that all other "show" buildings have scrims up when they are doing outside work. If you somehow think that a big old hunk of canvas is somehow a better show then an lone crane or people working then you have some serious vision problems. Might even be union rules, but, I suspect it is more a safety issue then anything else. So let's just stop the fantasy discussion and deal with real world obstacles. In the meantime... look the other way. That will be twice as effective as this discussion will ever be.

I speak about maintenance at this height at night because that is what family friends do for a living. Safety precautions are taken and the job is completed outside of peak traffic hours. Thousands of Americans do this daily, are you saying that all of their bosses and companies who universally do this are uncaring nor rational? The company does have to pay insurance for accidents, so even the most callous employer/contractor is going to ensure safety for their crew. I also mentioned pushing back operating hours to complete painting work in daylight hours. There are plenty of options and scrims are rarely used at various other parks and show buildings. This kind of work is able to be done at night and able to be done safely. Those are facts. If you're not mature enough to understand that or feel the night breeds danger, than that's between you and your nightlight. Meanwhile, people close to me will still continue building America by night.

Professortango1

Let's face it. At one time, in the past, Disney WAS known for creating immersive environments with incredible details. There is no way Journey of the Little Mermaid is up to their past standards. A ladder inside Splash Mountain is a bad comparison. It's much easier to remove a ladder than to remove a crane. People complain about animatronics not working, but they don't get fixed until a refurb is scheduled so the guests don't see the ladders. If Disney were to follow your idea of the customers not seeing a crane or construction because it ruins the "show" there would be no new Fantasyland because we could all see the construction going on. All those fences and narrow walkways totally ruined the MK for years.

Construction walls are a bit different. California Adventure spent over a year looking like the most poorly themed haunted maze ever created, but guests knew it was a one-time thing. Same with New Fantasyland. These walls would be up for some time, then they would come down to reveal something new and never really go up again. The castle is different as it is something that happens every summer and every winter. It is routine. If so, Disney should find a way to lessen the impact to guests since this is an ongoing need rather than a once in awhile type scenario.

rob0519

Guests should not see a giant crane, annually, for 2-3 months of the year, looming over the icon of MK and the WDW resort.

There is no excuse for that. It used to be done differently, and it is done differently elsewhere. It's simply that TDO can get away with anything to save a buck, or so they think...

Actually, there is an reason for it. It's called "expense". You just don't like the reason...er...excuse. Unless the attendance at the MK drops to just a few hundred or thousand people while the crane is visible and hits Disney in the pocketbook, they are getting away with it. I'm not condoning the crane, nor do I like to see it, but I'm not going to let it ruin my trip. Lot's of things at WDW used to be different and done differently. Things change due to cost, priorities, regulations, etc.

So, help me out on this one. Where are exterior lights put on and taken off a structure of the Castle's size and complexity on an annual basis and how is it done? Honestly, I'm not being sarcastic. I really want to know.

PiratesoftheHM

Actually, there is an reason for it. It's called "expense". You just don't like the reason...er...excuse. Unless the attendance at the MK drops to just a few hundred or thousand people while the crane is visible and hits Disney in the pocketbook, they are getting away with it. I'm not condoning the crane, nor do I like to see it, but I'm not going to let it ruin my trip. Lot's of things at WDW used to be different and done differently. Things change due to cost, priorities, regulations, etc.

So, help me out on this one. Where are exterior lights put on and taken off a structure of the Castle's size and complexity on an annual basis and how is it done? Honestly, I'm not being sarcastic. I really want to know.

Other Disney castle parks do not have a crane looming over the castle for months at a time to install the holiday lights.

You really think there is nothing wrong with Disney selling PhotoPass photos of people in front of the castle with a giant crane in the background?

WDW maintenance and standards are lowering because people simply don't mind paying more for cheapening standards.

ABQ

Other Disney castle parks do not have a crane looming over the castle for months at a time to install the holiday lights.

You really think there is nothing wrong with Disney selling PhotoPass photos of people in front of the castle with a giant crane in the background?

WDW maintenance and standards are lowering because people simply don't mind paying more for cheapening standards.
Well that is not entirely true....

IMG_1297.jpg

That was taken August 2016, so to your point, no, it wasn't for holiday light install, but it was painting during the day in Paris.

PiratesoftheHM

Well that is not entirely true....

IMG_1297.jpg

That was taken August 2016, so to your point, no, it wasn't for holiday light install, but it was painting during the day in Paris.

You're correct it was for the park wide refurb. Disneyland's castle was covered by a scrim for the 60th overlay. Not saying the castle views are never ruined elsewhere, but not on an annually scheduled basis for unacceptably long periods of time.

rob0519

No, I don't think there is anything wrong with Disney selling Photopass photos in front of a castle with a crane next to it. If people think it's wrong, simply don't buy the photos, stop going to the park while the crane is up. If people don't mind paying for the cheapening standards, then Disney will continue business as usual.

The castles in Anaheim and Hong Kong are only 77 feet tall. Orlando is 189 and even Paris is only 166, so obviously those will take less time to put up and take down lights. Can anyone say for sure how long cranes are visible to deal with the holiday lighting in Paris or Shanghai, because they are the only others as tall as Orlando?

This is simple project management. If you want something done faster it will cost more money. If you want to save money it will take longer. If you want to save time and still get it done quickly you need to lessen the scope of the effort (half as many lights, different lights that don't produce the same effect, etc.). Maybe Disney really is concerned about the "show quality" and this is what it takes to produce that quality. If they lessened the quality, people would complain that the lights aren't as good as they used to be when the crane was up for 7 weeks. Moral: You can't please everyone.

Professortango1

No, I don't think there is anything wrong with Disney selling Photopass photos in front of a castle with a crane next to it. If people think it's wrong, simply don't buy the photos, stop going to the park while the crane is up. If people don't mind paying for the cheapening standards, then Disney will continue business as usual.

Haha, yeah. I guess people should stop going in Summer to avoid seeing them put up Christmas lights. God forbid they put up the lights in the Fall, when attendance is down normally.

And unfortunately the line about people not minding cheapening standards is why WDW is in the shape it is in vs Anaheim.

Clamman73

The crane has been in my pictures today but the repainted blue turrets do look really good so once they're finished and the crane is gone, there's going to be a beautiful castle for everyone to enjoy.

Biff215

Haha, yeah. I guess people should stop going in Summer to avoid seeing them put up Christmas lights. God forbid they put up the lights in the Fall, when attendance is down normally.

And unfortunately the line about people not minding cheapening standards is why WDW is in the shape it is in vs Anaheim.
Technically they do the work during the slower parts of August and September. October attendance usually picks up and then Christmas starts roughly the second week of November. Unfortunately there's no ideal time for the install that won't affect a lot of guests.

MagicHappens1971

I have a feeling that pesky crane will be gone very soon. Pic credit: Mark Forrest on FB
They were also testing projections that look like A Frozen Holiday Wish, so it must've been a tech rehearsal
14463264_10154327781281558_6758480045099722404_n.jpg

coruscant

The castles in Anaheim and Hong Kong are only 77 feet tall. Orlando is 189 and even Paris is only 166, so obviously those will take less time to put up and take down lights. Can anyone say for sure how long cranes are visible to deal with the holiday lighting in Paris or Shanghai, because they are the only others as tall as Orlando?

This is simple project management. If you want something done faster it will cost more money. If you want to save money it will take longer. If you want to save time and still get it done quickly you need to lessen the scope of the effort (half as many lights, different lights that don't produce the same effect, etc.). Maybe Disney really is concerned about the "show quality" and this is what it takes to produce that quality. If they lessened the quality, people would complain that the lights aren't as good as they used to be when the crane was up for 7 weeks. Moral: You can't please everyone.

In Paris they only have lights now on the roofs. In the past they used to cover the entire castle with lights but not anymore.
They do it during the night so there is no crane during the day. Normally it takes 2 to 3 nights to put up the lights.
You can see here how they do it (it's from 2009 but the process is the same).

This year they had the crane up during the day for repainting the castle as mentioned before

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom