Crane at Cinderella Castle

Goofyernmost

Come on folks don't you get tired of beating the same dead horse over and over. Isn't it about time that you all just come to grips with the reality that, at least for awhile the crane will be there a couple of times a year. It has been there more recently mostly because of all the work that has been done in the Hub. Otherwise, it's a couple of times a year for brief times and the occasional required maintenance. At some point, we must all put on our big boy and girl pants and understand that the concept of fantasy is just that, fantasy. We live in a world of reality and reality sometimes interrupts our fantasy. It is neither a good show or a bad show it is a requirement if we want the fruits of those labors. Can't we just move on to something important cause this sure as hell isn't. Magic just doesn't work and individual wishes cannot supersede reality.

Monorail_Red_77

In 2014, it was down by Sept 22, however, I do not believe any refurbishment was done along with the Dreamlight installation that year.

Yeah, I'm thinking that it might be up a little longer this year due to the concurrent mini-refurb they are doing. As opposed to how long it is up normally for just dreamlight install/teardown. I don't know maybe another week or so? We will have to wait and see.
;)

rob0519

Come on folks don't you get tired of beating the same dead horse over and over. Isn't it about time that you all just come to grips with the reality that, at least for awhile the crane will be there a couple of times a year. It has been there more recently mostly because of all the work that has been done in the Hub. Otherwise, it's a couple of times a year for brief times and the occasional required maintenance. At some point, we must all put on our big boy and girl pants and understand that the concept of fantasy is just that, fantasy. We live in a world of reality and reality sometimes interrupts our fantasy. It is neither a good show or a bad show it is a requirement if we want the fruits of those labors. Can't we just move on to something important cause this sure as hell isn't. Magic just doesn't work and individual wishes cannot supersede reality.

I agree, the crane and the castle is a dead horse. Let's change the subject and discuss the burned out light bulbs on the CR and GF facades instead.

Goofyernmost

I agree, the crane and the castle is a dead horse. Let's change the subject and discuss the burned out light bulbs on the CR and GF facades instead.
OK, they aren't burnt out so much as they are intentionally not remaining active. Why? Don't know! Personally I think it looks classier without the twinkle lights that always reminded me of a cheap carnival, but, I'm sure they have a reason, we just don't know it and they probably don't think it is any of our business. They're probably right about that.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
The castle is the icon of the MK and basically WDW as a whole... they work hard to hide other work being done but the crane is up in photos and in plain sight often during the normal park hours. If they truly are working using the crane during park hours, they shouldn't be

Goofyernmost

The castle is the icon of the MK and basically WDW as a whole... they work hard to hide other work being done but the crane is up in photos and in plain sight often during the normal park hours. If they truly are working using the crane during park hours, they shouldn't be
Icon or no Icon the work on a structure that high should not be done at night.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

An, it's not exclusive or there would be no other merchandise besides little icons you could worship.

Professortango1

Icon or no Icon the work on a structure that high should not be done at night.
They do work on it at night. Night is perfectly safe with the right equipment and other Disney parks try and keep such intrusive upkeep projects limited to non operating hours. WDW doesn't make the effort and that's why people are upset, because this is an easily solved issue that it seems Orlando is too cheap to pay the hours to fix.

Professortango1

How on earth do you expect construction/painting work to be done without a crane being present? Get Harry Potter to magic it all up?

People don't object to the crane being used, it is the fact the crane is used during operating hours. Very odd to see men in reflective vests on a giant crane above the symbol for the entire resort when you're visiting. Especially considering other Disney parks are able to decorate/perform maintenance during non-operational hours. With MK's limited hours compared to Disneyland, Orlando could easily have the maintenance occur when guests are not present, keeping Disney's concept of good show.

If this was a once in awhile thing, it might be understandable, but it's pretty regular to see the crane go up in Summer and in January every year.

HRHPrincessAriel

They do work on it at night. Night is perfectly safe with the right equipment and other Disney parks try and keep such intrusive upkeep projects limited to non operating hours. WDW doesn't make the effort and that's why people are upset, because this is an easily solved issue that it seems Orlando is too cheap to pay the hours to fix.
People would flip their ever loving minds if they put it behind a scrim like the castle in Disneyland.
There are reasons they don't use at night. There are reasons they use the crane during the day especially since they go to lengths to cover up other construction during the day. If it was safe to do at night they would.

Professortango1

People would flip their ever loving minds if they put it behind a scrim like the castle in Disneyland.
There are reasons they don't use at night. There are reasons they use the crane during the day especially since they go to lengths to cover up other construction during the day. If it was safe to do at night they would.

The scrim was only used for the massive 60th overlay. For regular Christmas decorations and maintenance, the scrim isn't used. The reason they use the crane during the day is it is cheaper than evening construction and they know WDW visitors are more likely to be distracted from the size of the resort and not notice construction and lower maintenance levels. They do evening work when pressed against a deadline, so we know it is possible, just more costly. Orlando would rather save money and have guests see the crane on their visit.

mikenatcity1

I know the crane is not the greatest but sometimes it's a necessary evil. Last week at DL, there was major work going on at Peter Pan which is directly behind the castle. Unfortunately you could see the scrims behind the castle (as it's part of the castle, and higher than a lot of it). In addition, there were several cranes around because of the Rivers of America/Starwars Land expansion. The only thing I heard was people excited to see movement. did it obstruct some pictures? Sure did...but I didn't really think of that- Not everything can be picture perfect all the time :(

Clamman73

IMG_1914.JPG

Goofyernmost

Well, it's just unacceptable. I mean there is supposed to be unlimited magic in MK, thus the name. Why haven't they managed to levitate with night vision so all those poor guests would not have to be exposed to the shock of finding out that they don't just use magic to do everything. I mean they spent thousands of dollars more then anyone has ever spent on anything in their lifetime just to go to WDW and here they have to look at those ugly cranes attempting to keep the place looking new and vibrant. Unacceptable... (That elaborate piece of plastic has been sitting in the Florida sun for just 45 years now, there should be no reason at all to do any refurbishment) (Solar Rays are way overrated)

Professortango1

Well, it's just unacceptable. I mean there is supposed to be unlimited magic in MK, thus the name. Why haven't they managed to levitate with night vision so all those poor guests would not have to be exposed to the shock of finding out that they don't just use magic to do everything. I mean they spent thousands of dollars more then anyone has ever spent on anything in their lifetime just to go to WDW and here they have to look at those ugly cranes attempting to keep the place looking new and vibrant. Unacceptable... (That elaborate piece of plastic has been sitting in the Florida sun for just 45 years now, there should be no reason at all to do any refurbishment) (Solar Rays are way overrated)

Your dismissive nature tries to paint people's objection to bad show as silly. Show is what makes Disney "Disney." People go to Disney because they are known for creating immersive environments with incredible detail that the average guest wouldn't even notice. This crane flies in the face of that. To many, it would be like riding through a darkride and seeing a step ladder and tool box in the middle of Peter Pan's flight over London or Splash Mountain's finale. Is it going to ruin anybody's day? No. It is bad show and incredibly un-Disney. Very much so.

Also NOBODY is saying that maintenance shouldn't be done. This has been pointed out to you repeatedly, yet you still purposefully play obtuse to mock valid criticism. People are saying that such routine maintenance and decorating which occurs annually should be done in way that doesn't impact visitors to the Magic Kingdom. They could do this work in the off hours, heck they can even adjust their hours to open the park at 10 during the fall to allow them more daytime hours to do this every year. There are a variety of options to keep the crane from being up and used during park hours. We know this because other Disney parks are able to do so and Magic Kingdom has done so previously.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom