Crane at Cinderella Castle

Father Robinson

Original Poster
Read today in the General Discussion forum that there's a crane at the castle as of this morning (Aug 15). Any idea why and how long it will be there? I know repairs are needed from time to time, but I'll be there this Saturday and with BTMR, SFT, and IaSW down and HM behind a scrim, the last thing I want now is to see a crane at the end of MSUSA. Again, I know repairs are necessary from time to time, but I was really hoping to get some nice pics of the castle with the new hub (haven't been since 2014 when the hub was all torn up and behind walls).

Cmdr_Crimson

This is the start of the Christmas Lights to the Castle...Expect it to be there for a good 3 months or so for the start of Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party starting Nov 7th...

Rteetz

Read today in the General Discussion forum that there's a crane at the castle as of this morning (Aug 15). Any idea why and how long it will be there? I know repairs are needed from time to time, but I'll be there this Saturday and with BTMR, SFT, and IaSW down and HM behind a scrim, the last thing I want now is to see a crane at the end of MSUSA. Again, I know repairs are necessary from time to time, but I was really hoping to get some nice pics of the castle with the new hub (haven't been since 2014 when the hub was all torn up and behind walls).
Crane has been there for at least 3 days now.

Brad Bishop

I much prefer the way Disneyland's castle is done for Christmas instead of the "every square inch is covered with a light"-take.

If they did it DL style they could probably knock it out in a day.

Brad Bishop

No thanks, that Christmas overlay is tacky. I'll take a few months of the crane stalking Guest photos because the end result is stunning!

To me it's the better of the two.

It's one of the reasons I like Main St at MK over, say, Dollywood or Stone Mountain where they cover every square inch of the buildings with lights. It's a "less is more" thing to me.

For those of you visiting and wanting photos with the castle in the background: Don't take the photo straight-on (like right down Main St.). I've taken photos there before where the crane as present but the castle, itself, hid it. You also get more interesting photos, IMO, because everyone does the standard Main St. photo.

Cmdr_Crimson

I'll take the lights, crane, Elsa's Frozen Castle, ANYTHING over the Birthday Cake. Yuck :):mad:

Or that time that little blue thing TP'd it to open his Stupid attraction.
2808071916_090b6c666d.jpg

Father Robinson

Original Poster
Ok, here's another question, how long does it stay up during the day? Isn't there some time that they take it down during the late afternoon?

Bacon

New disney fan eh? let me guess you won't let disney win? ;)

peter11435

3 months? Doesn't it usually take about 3 weeks to put the lights up? Isn't this much earlier than usual also? I wondered if they were going up early while CTM was dark.
Yes. It generally takes about three weeks to put the lights out. They start in August so that they can usually have the work done and the crane gone in time for the Halloween party. The exception to this is that the crane has hung around longer a few times due to some recent refurbishment work going on the castle.

Father Robinson

Original Poster
New disney fan eh? let me guess you won't let disney win? ;)
Sorry no, 20 year veteran. They only started adding those lights in 2007 so my admiration for the castle without them had plenty of time to grow. Disney wins in so many areas it's ridiculous, but that doesn't mean I don't prefer to see their prize jewel of an attraction without a towering modern-day piece of construction equipment. I live in an area that is under construction 75% of the year, I don't want it on vacation. I know it's a necessary evil, but yeah, go ahead, include me in that category of people who DO NOT want to see it on their trip. I don't pay almost a quarter of a years salary to have the illusion spoiled by a huge crane and worker(s) in a hanging basket in front of and behind my favorite spot on the whole property. My wish is that this could be taken care of during the park's closed time. No disrespect intended at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom