Crane at Cinderella Castle

peter11435

OK, whatever you say. I still would like to see the actual crane in place and working and also try and figure out what possible realistic alternatives that are possible, ruling out doing it at night. To risk the safety of the workers so we get an unobstructed view of a plastic castle is unacceptable.
The pictures he posted are of the actual crane in place and working. It is telescoping and it does lower when not in use and at night. The crane is necessary for the install and daytime work is required. It really isn't an issue except in the minds of some misguided people on the Internet.

Biff215

You'd think Disney would wait until after the Summer to do so many tweaks. HM Scrim, Dinosaur down, BTMRR down, Celebrate down, Crane up...It isn't the end of the world, but that's why we go in Summer, to avoid refurbs. I guess no matter when you go, you get a compromised park.
For Disney, July practically is the end of summer, making most of August a bit slower and more suitable for refurbs. While we still have another two weeks here in NJ, most of the country is back to school now. You often have to trade lower crowd levels for more refurbishments.

Magenta Panther

I still say dump the Dreamlights. Use projections and LEDs to create an illusion of ice, and therefore no more ugly crane and I bet it'd all be cheaper in the long run anyway. I once watched the DAWM show with that crane and workmen in the background. How magical! One of the most surreal and spell-breaking things I've ever seen. The Dreamlights aren't worth it IMO, not when there are viable alternatives.

Goofyernmost

I still say dump the Dreamlights. Use projections and LEDs to create an illusion of ice, and therefore no more ugly crane and I bet it'd all be cheaper in the long run anyway. I once watched the DAWM show with that crane and workmen in the background. How magical! One of the most surreal and spell-breaking things I've ever seen. The Dreamlights aren't worth it IMO, not when there are viable alternatives.
OK, so lets entertain the concept of dropping Dreamlights. Couldn't the same thing be accomplished with castle projections, no lights, cranes or mats over the building visible during daylight hours. Problem solved. Projections it is.

Raineman

In March of 2014, I went to WDW for the first time in 24 years. Not only was the crane present, but they had the moat completely drained, as they had other equipment sitting in the moat while they were painting the castle at the time. Did this somehow ruin my first time back at MK in almost a quarter century? No. In fact, I went this year in late February, and the crane was there again. Was I upset? Again, no. I think some people need a bit of perspective on what types of things can negatively impact a visit to WDW.

SteamboatJoe

So let me get this straight:

We complain about attractions not being up to standards, then when scrims go up, we complain about attractions being closed. Then when work needs to be done to an attraction (castle in this instance) and machinery is brought in to do said maintenance, we complain about the machinery. And if I'm following along correctly, we're also arguing about the type of crane that WDW is using.

Geesh...what is wrong these days. Should I complain that the water pressure out of the faucets or water fountains is low or that the toilet paper isn't thick enough?

You see the same thing with road construction all the time. People complain and complain about the conditions of a road and the traffic so it gets shut down to be re-built, widened, etc. and people lose their minds over how inconvenient the construction is.

cheezbat

This is the first year that I've ever seen so much complaining about the crane. ALL OVER Disney related Facebook groups.
As the crane seems to be out longer and longer each year, I think it's finally getting to some of us fans.

I actually heard guests complaining about it today while in the park, and the stinking thing wasn't even up! (I hate it too, but it wasn't being used so no complaints from me today lol.)

MaryJaneP

It seems as though the problem isn't that the crane was moved IN and impinges upon someone's photo, it's that the crane is ever moved OUT. If expectations were re-framed to always have a crane be present, there might be less angina. Unlikely as that is however. Another alternative would be to "decorate" the crane and make it a permanent part of the castle superstructure. BTW, we think cranes are lovely birds.

Monorail_Red_77

It seems as though the problem isn't that the crane was moved IN and impinges upon someone's photo, it's that the crane is ever moved OUT. If expectations were re-framed to always have a crane be present, there might be less angina. Unlikely as that is however. Another alternative would be to "decorate" the crane and make it a permanent part of the castle superstructure. BTW, we think cranes are lovely birds.

Didn't they try that already? LOL :hilarious::eek:

Spaceship%20Earth%2005.jpg

Biff215

As the crane seems to be out longer and longer each year, I think it's finally getting to some of us fans.
Is this actually true though? Not trying to be argumentative, just wondering if this is a case of Disney "fans" having a skewed memory thanks to social media and other factors. Of course it may be true due to painting and other general maintenance, but then it would be there anyway, unless we want the most photographed icon in the world disappearing into the background as it fades and crumbles.

Goofyernmost

Is this actually true though? Not trying to be argumentative, just wondering if this is a case of Disney "fans" having a skewed memory thanks to social media and other factors. Of course it may be true due to painting and other general maintenance, but then it would be there anyway, unless we want the most photographed icon in the world disappearing into the background as it fades and crumbles.
It is quite possible that it seems that way because of social media. I have been going for years, but, mostly went, in the early years, in late February. There was never a crane there when I was visiting. The only time I have ever seen a crane in place was a couple of years ago when they kept it up after the lights came down to paint the outside of the castle. I'm sure that baking in the Florida sun, touch up painting has gone on for years, but, unless you were there at the times when the crane was in place, you never really knew about it so it wasn't part of your imagery. I have now, due to the magic of social media, seen it there what seems like always, but, common sense tells me that it isn't constant. The upgrading of the hub has also been a substantial reason for it's presence more and more over the last couple of years.

Francis Spor

I dunno. We just got back from WDW yesterday and my kids loved seeing the castle's friend Mr. Crane. Also watching day to day the spires and roof changing from blue to silver was pretty cool too. I've got other beefs about our time in the parks, the crane on the castle doesn't even really make the top 15.

cheezbat

My birthday was the 27th...I've spent many a birthday at WDW, and it wasn't until this last year that I recall seeing the crane there while visiting. This year it appears to be for painting, but even still, the thing seems to be there half the year!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom