Crane at Cinderella Castle

mikenatcity1

The first year they did the lights, the crane was lowered almost every day. Why can't they lower the dang thing before park opening ? It is not being used. Every so often if there is an event they will lower it. It's not like they aren't capable. And from a few friends inside WDI, the complaints are so great that there are discussions of this being the last year of the lights, which is absolutely ridiculous .

I sure hope this is not the case- if they would get rid of the lights, I would not be back during the holidays. It's bad enough to lose the garlands across Main Street, but then the castle...my first year going for a Christmas party was the first year of the castle lights (we happen to be there the first day they were lit for the public- what a wonderful treat!)

Goofyernmost

The crane most certainly does lower and as recently as last year they raised and lowered it frequently during the day. I've yet to go to the park since the crane has been up so I can't speak to the claims of it being up and no work done, but in my experience (both working at the park and playing), that's never been the case.
Some do, some don't. The telescopic type do lower and you can sometimes see it sitting next to the rear of the Castle behind a temporary wall. The steel solid structure ones do not telescope, they are one solid unit with removable sections. That would be the type needed to tower over a 180 foot high building. Those require assembly and disassembly even to move it more then within the immediate area. Also because of the location of the Castle and to avoid to many ruined views, it has to reach well over the building to allow work on the opposite side of the castle. I suppose that it is harder for someone that has never seen how they work to accept that there are physical limitations as well as physical requirements to accomplish work on a structure that high, no matter how many times they are told why. What it boils down to is if you want a well maintained park, which is a constant topic on these boards, and you want the stuff that makes the place special, (anybody can build a plastic castle) then you have to be prepared to accept that this is a fantasy location that is right in the middle of the real world and certain things have to be done to create the "magic".

JoeCamel

Some do, some don't. The telescopic type do lower and you can sometimes see it sitting next to the rear of the Castle behind a temporary wall. The steel solid structure ones do not telescope, they are one solid unit with removable sections. That would be the type needed to tower over a 180 foot high building. Those require assembly and disassembly even to move it more then within the immediate area. Also because of the location of the Castle and to avoid to many ruined views, it has to reach well over the building to allow work on the opposite side of the castle. I suppose that it is harder for someone that has never seen how they work to accept that there are physical limitations as well as physical requirements to accomplish work on a structure that high, no matter how many times they are told why. What it boils down to is if you want a well maintained park, which is a constant topic on these boards, and you want the stuff that makes the place special, (anybody can build a plastic castle) then you have to be prepared to accept that this is a fantasy location that is right in the middle of the real world and certain things have to be done to create the "magic".

Wrong again, you obviously have never worked with mobile cranes

http://www.manitowoccranes.com/en/cranes/grove/grove-products/truck-mounted

rob0519

I'm sure it's a huge disappointment for people who are on their first visit or maybe their one and only visit to the park only to see a crane next to the castle in all their pictures. You do however, have the possibility of using photoshop to remove the crane or put your family into a picture without the crane.

I would think a bigger disappointment would be a major attraction like Splash Mountain, Soarin', Space Mountain, etc. being down for long term refurbishment during that one and only trip. You can buy a picture of the castle or get one off the internet, but you cannot recreate the unique experience of an attraction. It's all a matter of perspective and what is important to you.

Goofyernmost

Wrong again, you obviously have never worked with mobile cranes

http://www.manitowoccranes.com/en/cranes/grove/grove-products/truck-mounted
Wrong again, I obviously have worked with them after 10 years in the construction business. Also take a look at the very link that you posted and see that the maximum extension of the telescopic boom is 147 ft with the tip to 237 ft. Whereas the castle is around 180 feet and it must go well over that with a much thicker boom and much heavier equipment plunked down on the pavement around the building. Plus they do use that type for many things but, that is not what they need to use for that type of location and height requirement and job needs. That type of boom would be a much bigger distraction then the narrower one that they use for this stuff. And they still aren't going to do that at night for safety purposes.

Before guessing that Walt used to be able to do that... remember that OSHA didn't exist when he was building stuff.

Professortango1

You'd think Disney would wait until after the Summer to do so many tweaks. HM Scrim, Dinosaur down, BTMRR down, Celebrate down, Crane up...It isn't the end of the world, but that's why we go in Summer, to avoid refurbs. I guess no matter when you go, you get a compromised park.

JUFL2019

Wrong again, I obviously have worked with them after 10 years in the construction business. Also take a look at the very link that you posted and see that the maximum extension of the telescopic boom is 147 ft with the tip to 237 ft. Whereas the castle is around 180 feet and it must go well over that with a much thicker boom and much heavier equipment plunked down on the pavement around the building. Plus they do use that type for many things but, that is not what they need to use for that type of location and height requirement and job needs. That type of boom would be a much bigger distraction then the narrower one that they use for this stuff. And they still aren't going to do that at night for safety purposes.

Before guessing that Walt used to be able to do that... remember that OSHA didn't exist when he was building stuff.

Sorry to burst your bubble but this is a telescoping crane, they lower it quite often...

Monorail_Red_77

Ok Ok. Here are some pics of my quick visit to MK back on Aug 14th. The crane is a large truck mounted variety that you sometimes see on your local interstates, etc. It is able to reach well above the castle and you can even see workers in the basket in some of these pics. The crane location it to the North East of the castle. The crane does lower during the day when not in use. I have seen this myself many many times. It also lowers towards the evening as well. Now this depends on why it is being used as well. The Castle dream lights take around 6 weeks to put up and take down, I believe. They also may do short refurbishments as needed during this time also since the have there crane there anyway. The particular rigging company used in this location is SIMS CRANE and RIGGING. They use other companies around property as needed. But, I have noticed over the past 5 years or so it is almost always a white colored SIMS mobile crane. It is also extremely quite as well. Imagine hearing the hydraulics of an elevator, that's about as loud as this thing is when standing right near the refurb wall they put up next to it. Not sure if it is connected to electric power or is just very very quite. Anyway.... Aso yo can see from the first picture the crane is extended to I assume 220 feet maybe more. The castle is 179 feet so that looks about right.
Also, funny angle of the crane in this pic at park opening. Pretty well hidden until you et to the top.

File_003.jpeg

In this pic the workers were applying large circular things to the roof in a grid pattern. Perhaps part of the hold downs for the light nets to attach to?
File_002.jpeg

View from the back.
File_001.jpeg

This shows better, the blocked off area by Sir Mickey's and the walkway the crosses the park from Tomorrowland to Adventureland. Castle curtain door is closed for Welcome show introducing Elena of Avalor.
File_000.jpeg

peter11435

You'd think Disney would wait until after the Summer to do so many tweaks. HM Scrim, Dinosaur down, BTMRR down, Celebrate down, Crane up...It isn't the end of the world, but that's why we go in Summer, to avoid refurbs. I guess no matter when you go, you get a compromised park.
Summer is not really substantially busier than other times of the year and when you factor in holidays its hard to find slow seasons. They have to avoid holidays periods such as thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Easter, spring break, Fourth of July, etc... No matter when you schedule this type of work you are going to impact people's vacations. The HM work for example is being done now so that it doesn't impact the Halloween parties. Truly since most schools start in early to mid August now, August through November is one of the best times because it's one of the longest stretches without a major peak holiday to avoid.

Monorail_Red_77

Ok Ok. Here are some pics of my quick visit to MK back on Aug 14th. The crane is a large truck mounted variety that you sometimes see on your local interstates, etc. It is able to reach well above the castle and you can even see workers in the basket in some of these pics. The crane location it to the North East of the castle. The crane does lower during the day when not in use. I have seen this myself many many times. It also lowers towards the evening as well. Now this depends on why it is being used as well. The Castle dream lights take around 6 weeks to put up and take down, I believe. They also may do short refurbishments as needed during this time also since the have there crane there anyway. The particular rigging company used in this location is SIMS CRANE and RIGGING. They use other companies around property as needed. But, I have noticed over the past 5 years or so it is almost always a white colored SIMS mobile crane. It is also extremely quite as well. Imagine hearing the hydraulics of an elevator, that's about as loud as this thing is when standing right near the refurb wall they put up next to it. Not sure if it is connected to electric power or is just very very quite. Anyway.... Aso yo can see from the first picture the crane is extended to I assume 220 feet maybe more. The castle is 179 feet so that looks about right.
Also, funny angle of the crane in this pic at park opening. Pretty well hidden until you et to the top.

View attachment 157078

In this pic the workers were applying large circular things to the roof in a grid pattern. Perhaps part of the hold downs for the light nets to attach to?
View attachment 157077

View from the back.
View attachment 157076

This shows better, the blocked off area by Sir Mickey's and the walkway the crosses the park from Tomorrowland to Adventureland. Castle curtain door is closed for Welcome show introducing Elena of Avalor.View attachment 157075

Here's a close representation of the crane used.

DisneyFans4Life

So let me get this straight:

We complain about attractions not being up to standards, then when scrims go up, we complain about attractions being closed. Then when work needs to be done to an attraction (castle in this instance) and machinery is brought in to do said maintenance, we complain about the machinery. And if I'm following along correctly, we're also arguing about the type of crane that WDW is using.

Geesh...what is wrong these days. Should I complain that the water pressure out of the faucets or water fountains is low or that the toilet paper isn't thick enough?

Goofyernmost

Sorry to burst your bubble but this is a telescoping crane, they lower it quite often...
OK, then what the hell's the problem. Is the problem that they have to use it during the day? Every picture and personal visual that I have ever seen is the metal skeletal boom that is not telescoping. Then we are just talking about it being visible during the day which is when they need to do that work whether we like it or not. I would like to see a photo of the actual crane we are talking about. I'm having a problem understanding the problem otherwise.

peter11435

OK, then what the hell's the problem. Is the problem that they have to use it during the day? Every picture and personal visual that I have ever seen is the metal skeletal boom that is not telescoping. Then we are just talking about it being visible during the day which is when they need to do that work whether we like it or not. I would like to see a photo of the actual crane we are talking about. I'm having a problem understanding the problem otherwise.
@Monorail_Red_77 posted several pics a few posts back. This is the same crane that is always used for the install.

Goofyernmost

@Monorail_Red_77 posted several pics a few posts back. This is the same crane that is always used for the install.
OK, whatever you say. I still would like to see the actual crane in place and working and also try and figure out what possible realistic alternatives that are possible, ruling out doing it at night. To risk the safety of the workers so we get an unobstructed view of a plastic castle is unacceptable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom