Crane at Cinderella Castle

Biff215

Set up work lights, do the work at night, pay the overtime, get a bigger crew and get the crane lowered every day before 9am. It would solve the problem, but would cost more money that way. And it's become abundantly clear that $$ trumps show.
While certainly not impossible, others with knowledge of this type of work have stated that using the crane at night is significantly more dangerous. Even if that isn't the case, there often aren't enough hours when the park is closed to realistically set up what you're suggesting, break it down before park open, and get much done each night.

I like the lights, even though I tend to see the crane more often than the lights themselves as we usually visit in August and January. I also understand those who dislike the crane enough to feel like the lights aren't worth it. But with many other of the unique Christmas offerings going by the wayside, I'd hate to see one more discontinued.

Goofyernmost

Completely agree with you. I've been saying the same thing for years, though be prepared for responses from posters who will tell us it doesn't matter and anyone whose vacation is "ruined" is just being silly. My vacation isn't "ruined" and no one else's is either, so there's no need for hyperbole.

But show matters. If the castle needs a major refurb on a 5 or 7 year schedule, so be it. It has to happen, its breaks the show a bit, but there isn't much choice.

But to have the crane hanging over the castle in full guest view, with workers hovering above castle shows, etc, for a solid 8 weeks every year -- it's just bad show, plan and simple. Set up work lights, do the work at night, pay the overtime, get a bigger crew and get the crane lowered every day before 9am. It would solve the problem, but would cost more money that way. And it's become abundantly clear that $$ trumps show.
Seriously, you just looked at pictures of painters 180 feet in the air reaching over a railing to paint the spires and you think it should be done at night with lights. It has nothing to do with "overtime" it has to do with worker safety which is monitored very closely in these here parts. So just get over it. It isn't going to happen so either stay away or accept that occasionally you will see a maintenance crane looming over the castle. Safety has always, or should have always come before show no matter what they are doing. And that, I believe is direct from the "bar" set by Disney. It's pretty much always the same time of the year unless they are doing additional work.

cslafferty

Well, I think they're missing a big marketing opportunity here. Call it "Crane Days," make tshirts with the crane pictured on them, Mickey ears with the crane sticking out of the top, Photopass photographers could put Tinkerbell image in the pic sitting on the crane, crane cupcakes . . . the list goes on. I like naming it Mr. Crane. "Mr. Crane's Wild Ride"

Professortango1

Seriously, you just looked at pictures of painters 180 feet in the air reaching over a railing to paint the spires and you think it should be done at night with lights. It has nothing to do with "overtime" it has to do with worker safety which is monitored very closely in these here parts. So just get over it. It isn't going to happen so either stay away or accept that occasionally you will see a maintenance crane looming over the castle. Safety has always, or should have always come before show no matter what they are doing. And that, I believe is direct from the "bar" set by Disney. It's pretty much always the same time of the year unless they are doing additional work.

Considering how early MK closes, they can do it at night, have plenty of time, and be quite safe about it. Disneyland's 3rd shift does most of the decorating. I understand their castle is shorter, but the height is still deadly if safety was ignored.

Professortango1

Still whining about the crane I see. You folks need to get over it. Thankfully Disney doesn't have time for petty complaints like this and continues to give us the amazing Dreamlights each year. I hope they never stop and continue ticking the haters off every year :D :D

It isn't too petty when people taking a summer vacation expect to see Disneyworld's symbol photo ready. People pay thousands to have a picture in front of the castle. With the short MK hours, they can easily work in the off hours. Or at least decorate after summer ends and in October/November.

Father Robinson

Original Poster
It isn't too petty when people taking a summer vacation expect to see Disneyworld's symbol photo ready. People pay thousands to have a picture in front of the castle. With the short MK hours, they can easily work in the off hours. Or at least decorate after summer ends and in October/November.
Yup, it is THE most photographed thing on the planet and for many it's a once in a lifetime opportunity to stand in front of it. I agree totally that with the right lighting equipment they can definitely do it at night. I work third shift and can tell you that all work on highway bridge trusses, some extending well over the height of the castle, are done after midnight.

Goofyernmost

Considering how early MK closes, they can do it at night, have plenty of time, and be quite safe about it. Disneyland's 3rd shift does most of the decorating. I understand their castle is shorter, but the height is still deadly if safety was ignored.
Maybe they can shut down at noon and just send everyone home so it's still daylight, cause the crane is still going to be there and darkness is just another obstetrical to safety. If you really feel that your ability to see the castle without a crane in the view is more important then the life and health of a fellow human being, then by all means, write them a letter an demand that they put people in jeopardy for the purpose of your entertainment. Or better yet, run for president cause that kind of thinking seems to be quite popular at the moment. This isn't about decorating anyway, it's been primarily about building maintenance. Maybe they should just wait until it falls down and then just build a new one.

Professortango1

Maybe they can shut down at noon and just send everyone home so it's still daylight, cause the crane is still going to be there and darkness is just another obstetrical to safety. If you really feel that your ability to see the castle without a crane in the view is more important then the life and health of a fellow human being, then by all means, write them a letter an demand that they put people in jeopardy for the purpose of your entertainment. Or better yet, run for president cause that kind of thinking seems to be quite popular at the moment. This isn't about decorating anyway, it's been primarily about building maintenance. Maybe they should just wait until it falls down and then just build a new one.

Strawman argument? I never said human life was less important, so quit trying to make something sensible outrageous. Construction workers do dangerous work at night under lights constantly. This is a fact. Disney employees and contractors do dangerous work at night under lights constantly. This is another fact. Castle decorations and maintenance can be safely done in the evenings and often is at other parks. Another fact. Danger doesn't mean certain death, it means safety precautions. Any work that high off the ground is dangerous, light or dark. With proper lighting, the night makes no difference.

Professortango1

I'm sorry people pay thousands of dollars, but I enjoy the lights so their "misery" leads to my pleasure. Long live the Dreamlights!!
They can still add the Dreamlights after hours. Fall hours are reduced, so they have many long nights/mornings in Sept, October, and early Nov to set up for Christmas.

Goofyernmost

Strawman argument? I never said human life was less important, so quit trying to make something sensible outrageous. Construction workers do dangerous work at night under lights constantly. This is a fact. Disney employees and contractors do dangerous work at night under lights constantly. This is another fact. Castle decorations and maintenance can be safely done in the evenings and often is at other parks. Another fact. Danger doesn't mean certain death, it means safety precautions. Any work that high off the ground is dangerous, light or dark. With proper lighting, the night makes no difference.
I'm a strawman, but you are more concerned about your view of a plastic castle then what REAL dangers are multiplied by asking people to work 180 feet in the air hanging from a basket with nothing but artificial lighting trying to paint, again in artificial lighting and not have missed spots and problem areas. I'll happily be a strawman then a person that is more concerned about my visual purity of a fake building then understand that what seems to be the "simplest" of solutions are probably the least likely to be the wise ones. I'm done with this conversation because I feel like I am talking to that plastic wall and surprised that you have resorted to the theme of the U.S. today.... childish name calling. At least I should be thankful it was Pixie Duster or some other nondescript cute little name of the day.

Professortango1

I'm a strawman, but you are more concerned about your view of a plastic castle then what REAL dangers are multiplied by asking people to work 180 feet in the air hanging from a basket with nothing but artificial lighting trying to paint, again in artificial lighting and not have missed spots and problem areas. I'll happily be a strawman then a person that is more concerned about my visual purity of a fake building then understand that what seems to be the "simplest" of solutions are probably the least likely to be the wise ones. I'm done with this conversation because I feel like I am talking to that plastic wall and surprised that you have resorted to the theme of the U.S. today.... childish name calling. At least I should be thankful it was Pixie Duster or some other nondescript cute little name of the day.

Where did I call you a name?? Do you not understand what a "strawman arguement" is or "attacking the strawman?" It's when a person builds an argument up to a ridiculous level to make it easier to attack. I never called you a name, I said you were using a logical fallacy by insinuating I was immoral and wanted to force men and women to risk certain death rather than see a crane in summer.

raymusiccity

I'm sorry people pay thousands of dollars, but I enjoy the lights so their "misery" leads to my pleasure. Long live the Dreamlights!!

Agreed. Dreamlights makes the crane a necessary evil:

image.jpeg

Father Robinson

Original Poster
So true!!!

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
They could have the crane there just blocked off but why they don't take it down during the park hours baffles me

The castle is an icon, families want photos in front of it., couples get engaged with it in the background, why they don't do more to get the crane out of sight during the day I have no idea

My father is a crane operator / it's not that difficult. I understand however lowering the boom arm completely and sitting flat might stick out further then they have room for however it could easily be lowered behind the castle where it's not largely visible above it

Pam Hates Penguins

They could have the crane there just blocked off but why they don't take it down during the park hours baffles me

The castle is an icon, families want photos in front of it., couples get engaged with it in the background, why they don't do more to get the crane out of sight during the day I have no idea

My father is a crane operator / it's not that difficult. I understand however lowering the boom arm completely and sitting flat might stick out further then they have room for however it could easily be lowered behind the castle where it's not largely visible above it

I went to Disney World this past month and the days we were there, the crane wasn't up. But when I got on the Monorail to get back to the hotel one night, I took a good look at the castle, and the crane was put up seconds just after I left. The next morning, the crane was gone.

peter11435

The crane is lowered to the ground and out of sight when it's not in use.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom