Zootopia at Animal Kingdom?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I don't see Disney really being invested in Zootopia when compared to other IPs they have.

This. Exactly this.

If Zootopia was so popular, there would be merchandise. And a M&G. Or at least plans for more of a theme park presence. Box office take does not always equal "popularity". And it's just not popular. If you adjust for inflation, Zootopia isn't anywhere near the top of the Disney animated box office list. Because... It's a formulaic, hour-long TV cop show stretched into a 90 minute movie, with some jokes tossed in. There was nothing ground-breaking about it. Nothing catchy. It's just... there. IMHO, it's just not that good, or memorable, or bankable a property. It's obviously fine to be a fan of it, different strokes for different folks and all that. But there simply isn't much demand for Zootopia in the theme parks, no matter what a very small percentage of people want you to think. It'd be like putting in Star Wars into a theme park just because of ... oh wait... ;)

(Yes, I realize I'm discussing this with a few SW-fanboi-level Zootopia fans :) ) I'm a realist. There are so many things I've wanted to see happen with the theme parks. But I've learned that there are battles worth fighting, and they are few and far between, because Disney is Disney and they're going to do what is best for their bottom line. Zootopia isn't in that category to them. You just gotta know when to let some things go, and Zootopia in the parks is one of them. You may get a M&G, but even that looks less likely as time goes on.

BTW - There's no mention of a sequel on IMDB. Usually if a sequel to a movie is in the works, you'll find at least mention of it there, but there's nothing.

Last edited:

jaxonp

This. Exactly this.

If Zootopia was so popular, there would be merchandise. And a M&G. Or at least plans for more of a theme park presence. Box office take does not always equal "popularity". And it's just not popular. If you adjust for inflation, Zootopia isn't anywhere near the top of the Disney animated box office list. Because... It's a formulaic, hour-long TV cop show stretched into a 90 minute movie, with some jokes tossed in. There was nothing ground-breaking about it. Nothing catchy. It's just... there. IMHO, it's just not that good, or memorable, or bankable a property. It's obviously fine to be a fan of it, different strokes for different folks and all that. But there simply isn't much demand for Zootopia in the theme parks, no matter what a very small percentage of people want you to think. It'd be like putting in Star Wars into a theme park just because of ... oh wait... ;)

(Yes, I realize I'm discussing this with a few SW-fanboi-level Zootopia fans :) ) I'm a realist. There are so many things I've wanted to see happen with the theme parks. But I've learned that there are battles worth fighting, and they are few and far between, because Disney is Disney and they're going to do what is best for their bottom line. Zootopia isn't in that category to them. You just gotta know when to let some things go, and Zootopia in the parks is one of them. You may get a M&G, but even that looks less likely as time goes on.

BTW - There's no mention of a sequel on IMDB. Usually if a sequel to a movie is in the works, you'll find at least mention of it there, but there's nothing.

Zootopia was biggest in Asia I believe. They have a decent amount of merch at Tokyo Disney when I was there last. Lots of passholder bags floating around, yet with all of that Tokyo Disney isn’t even expanding their parks with this IP.

Disney Maddux

This. Exactly this.

1. I should get a reward for how much I'm resisting to go full fanboy on you.

2. The problem is with the poor decisions their making with Zootopia representation at WDW. All of the other parks around the world have a M&G, as well as a lot moore (fellow fanboys will get this) merchandise.

3. What do you mean it isn't that high in their animation box office list? It's literally their 2nd one behind Frozen.

4. I wouldn't rely on IMDB. That site is infamous for having a lot of false info and missing movies. Many sources have confirmed a sequel is in the works and even a few voice actors confirmed Disney talked to them to reprise their roles in a sequel.

5. Once again, if I wasn't resisting so much, you'd be seeing a lot of my fanboy side right now.

jaxonp

2. The problem is with the poor decisions their making with Zootopia representation at WDW. All of the other parks around the world have a M&G, as well as a lot moore (fellow fanboys will get this) merchandise.

3. What do you mean it isn't that high in their animation box office list? It's literally their 2nd one behind Frozen.

4. I wouldn't rely on IMDB. That site is infamous for having a lot of false info and missing movies. Many sources have confirmed a sequel is in the works and even a few voice actors confirmed Disney talked to them to reprise their roles in a sequel.

5. Once again, if I wasn't resisting so much, you'd be seeing a lot of my fanboy side right now.

Adjust for inflation and it’s not. Plus Pixar.

Kman101

This. Exactly this.

This is the same company that added a Mermaid ride 20 years after it debuted. We don't know what strategy they have. I agree Zootopia is the least likely but I wouldn't say never. Martin never said no Zootopia in WDW, just that it isn't planned for DAK. But that could be interpreted any which way so I guess he'll have to clarify.

It is popular. It doesn't sound like you like and you're speaking from that. It's popular in Asia. They'll probably see anything before we do.

Zootopia is hard to commit to in land form. I can see how they've struggled with what to do with it (if anything). If you think they're sitting on it and likely letting it pass I don't agree. But do I have fanboi hopes of seeing it soon? No. (I like the movie but I'm not dying for a presence, although I wouldn't object because I did like the movie, and it does seem ridiculous they can't be meetable for those guests who want to meet them; I don't do the characters but it's nice to see them available and meetable).

But I wouldn't be upset if it had a presence somewhere. We don't know it won't for sure though. You're sort of talking like you have some sort of information on the popularity of it but I think you're projecting how you feel onto how it's viewed. It wasn't at all a failure. There are just bigger hits.

And meet and greets are locally decided unless it's to promote the film. I wouldn't go by that. And how would they know if merchandise sells if they don't have any for it? The same for Coco. There's rarely anything. You know they struggle with that.

doctornick

Zootopia made over $1 billion at the box office world wide. That's actually pretty impressive and substantial. I don't think it was a huge merchandise maker but it was a pretty big hit at the time and was timely given the "message". It managed to win the Best Animated Oscar despite coming out early in the year.

I think people are underselling it's relevance. It's certainly not a Toy Story type hit, but it wouldn't be the strangest choice for an attraction.

jaxonp

Zootopia made over $1 billion at the box office world wide. That's actually pretty impressive and substantial. I don't think it was a huge merchandise maker but it was a pretty big hit at the time and was timely given the "message". It managed to win the Best Animated Oscar despite coming out early in the year.

I think people are underselling it's relevance. It's certainly not a Toy Story type hit, but it wouldn't be the strangest choice for an attraction.

It’s made about 300 mil in the US. I wouldn’t get too excited about that. That billion dollars is great for a worldwide number but would pale In comparison to past Disney films with inflation is taken in

Disney Maddux

This is the same company that added a Mermaid ride 20 years after it debuted. We don't know what strategy they have. I agree Zootopia is the least likely but I wouldn't say never. Martin never said no Zootopia in WDW, just that it isn't planned for DAK. But that could be interpreted any which way so I guess he'll have to clarify.

It is popular. It doesn't sound like you like and you're speaking from that. It's popular in Asia. They'll probably see anything before we do.

Zootopia is hard to commit to in land form. I can see how they've struggled with what to do with it (if anything). If you think they're sitting on it and likely letting it pass I don't agree. But do I have fanboi hopes of seeing it soon? No. (I like the movie but I'm not dying for a presence, although I wouldn't object because I did like the movie, and it does seem ridiculous they can't be meetable for those guests who want to meet them; I don't do the characters but it's nice to see them available and meetable).

But I wouldn't be upset if it had a presence somewhere. We don't know it won't for sure though. You're sort of talking like you have some sort of information on the popularity of it but I think you're projecting how you feel onto how it's viewed. It wasn't at all a failure. There are just bigger hits.

And meet and greets are locally decided unless it's to promote the film. I wouldn't go by that. And how would they know if merchandise sells if they don't have any for it? The same for Coco. There's rarely anything. You know they struggle with that.
Exactly. You know it's bad when Disney says it didn't sell well even though they didn't even try selling Zootopia merch, yet you can find that merch being sold online is doing very well and some are even out of stock.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

No, I think I get the Zootopia fanboy well enough:

"Zootopia Dude"
Greatest Disney Movie - Zootopia
Best Disney Characters - Judy Hopps & Nick Wilde
Favorite Disney Character - Judy Hopps
Wilde + Hopps = Life

Anything released by Pixar since it's acquisition by Disney should really be included in any animated movie list. It's all been under one roof, so to speak, since then. Not adjusting for inflation and not even considering anything Pixar since 2006 only serves one purpose. As such, your argument is weak.

There have been PLENTY of poor decisions at WDW. A lack of Zootopia isn't high on that list.

You have a better source of movie information than IMDB? I'd love to check it out if you do. The only place I saw mention of a Zootopia sequel was "ideas.wikia.com", with November 24, 2021 as a release date. I cannot corroborate that anywhere else right now, but I admit I'm not going to spend more than a few minutes looking.

ThemeParkTraveller

Not trying to defend Zootopia, but as a box office follower I just wanted to add that adjusting for inflation isn't really a good measure of current popularity or relevance. There are a lot of factors why a particular film may have captured the zeitgeist that would be almost impossible to replicate today. Snow White is the highest grossing Disney film when adjusted for inflation at over $1 billion domestic, but it would not earn anywhere near that much if released today.

Zootopia made close to $350 million domestically, which is still a very solid number that only a handful of movies (let alone animated movies) pass each year. And hitting over $1 billion worldwide is still no easy feat for an animated movie in today's market conditions. But the fact that Zootopia didn't break home video/merchandise records like Frozen (#1 highest selling Blu-ray of all-time compared to Zootopia's #48) shows that its box office success didn't really translate into the lasting popularity of other Disney IPs.

https://www.the-numbers.com/alltime-bluray-sales-chart

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Martin's just dropping things left and right today ;) I love it.

"no Zootopia heading to DAK". So it could go elsewhere? or am I reading into things again? lol. If it were "no Zootopia to WDW" .... Sorry for reading too much into things!
Zootopia for DHS! With the theme now being you walking into the movies, it could actually work pretty well.
that’s not what I meant! Currently there are no plans for a Zootopia attraction in WDW as far as I know, as far as I can see (which is quite a way).

Last edited:

Lemanic

Just want to post this entire article here.

Zootopia News Network said:
The confusing success of Zootopia - An editorial by Surrika Tunnah

Hello there mammals, great and small! Surrika Tunnah here with an article that is a bit different than usual. Yes, I am going to talk about Zootopia, but more about how its success has baffled me to no end.

Everyone on this site and those that follow this fandom closely will know that Zootopia was a gigantic success and beat many of the odds to just even see the light of release. Zootopia went through literally production hell. Re-write after re-write, threatened to be cancelled out-right and even have several complete story overhauls that changed and even deleted a ton of characters! It went through so many changes that even the art-book shows us the movies it could of been.

It deserves every bit of praise we shovel onto it, from its 1 billion dollar worldwide box office gross, to it's 24 amazing awards. Not only because it's a great movie ,with a very good lesson on underlying racism and prejudice, but because it is literally a underdog story when it comes to movie production.

But it still doesn't feel like a success. At least not to me.

Let me explain, after the break.

Images from my local Disney Store You guys know me as the Meerkat of Merch, Surrika Tunnah. I am a huge fan of this movie just as you are. However, there is this nagging feeling in the back of my little meerkat skull that Disney don't really share the sentiment that this movie should be a success.

The first warning signs were with the merchandise itself. A lot of movies make their money off merchandise sales and Disney in particular are notorious for this. Just look at Frozen! They are still making merchandise for it to this day.

My goodness, just let it go... I am going to put forward a photo of my Zootopia collection to demonstrate a point.

Literally all of the Official Merchandise I could find. You're probably thinking, "Wow Surrika that is a lot of stuff!" when I am thinking, is this all there is? Let me explain.

All of this merch you see here was available at the movies release. Since the movies release there has been no new merchandise made for Zootopia. None at all. And I find this really bizarre.

Just cause those were available at release doesn't mean I got them at release. Some were bought at my local Disney Store. Others were bought at Toys'r'Us or other toy retailers. I noticed something after a month though. All the merchandise had been stripped from the stores. Even the official Disney store didn't have anything, so I thought "Huh, well it has been a success. maybe the merch is selling like hot cakes and I just have to wait for them to restock."

So much princess stuff. But nothing from last year's biggest hit. Then a concerning thing happened, after 2-3 months of no stores restocking Zootopia merchandise at all. I found some merch in a store called Home Bargains. For those who are not aware, Home Bargains is a store chain in Britain that buys from over-stocked warehouses and then sells them on for cheap. So this could have meant my original thought of them selling like hot-cakes was wrong.

Why though? This film was a huge success...wasn't it? The question had been nagging my mind constantly. Financially and critically the movie was a success, but through the eyes of the general populous it doesn't seem that way at all. There is nothing in day to day life that even hints at how huge of a success it was. I walk into the Disney store today and the only thing Zootopia related they have is a Mr.Big plushie that has been hanging on the hook for several months.

Just look at him. So lonely...

I mean, not even birthdays cards! I have yet to see a Zootopia birthday card, even in dedicated local card shops.

Notice anything missing? Some of that merchandise I have was even imported, because for some reason not all merchandise was available everywhere- especially not in Britain. If it wasn't for the internet I would never have known there was a official Finnick van toy, or even a ZPD play-set.

So why isn't Disney milking this potential cash cow? What happened during this film that makes them so reluctant to even reference it in their own store?

These are questions I don't have the answer too. We as fans know it was a success, a huge one. But if I didn't know any better, I would swear this movie had flopped. It's no lie that Disney had very little faith in the film which is why it was so under-marketed.

I really do hope they release more merchandise for Zootopia so people can see how much of a success it is. That and I want an official Gideon Grey plushie, both bully and reformed. As it stands at the moment there is absolutely no Gideon Grey merch...NONE! A character that although with little screen-time plays a major part in Judy's character development. Heck, he has a more important role than Finnick does.

This has been Surrika, the baffled neighbourhood meerkat, Thank you for reading, and let me know what you think about all of this in the comments!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom