News Zootopia and Moana Blue Sky concepts for Disney's Animal Kingdom

DCLcruiser

I think it's easiest to just say that the person who designed the park and its theme says it doesn't fit.

Regardless, Beastly Kingdom doesn't exist, and was also about animals, even if they were mythical ones. They weren't humans dressed up as animals.
Zootopia is not humans dressed up as animals. Zootopia takes place in a world where animals are dominant and evolved into what we see in the show. There are also, from what I can remember, no primates in the movie. So no way for humans to exist.

LittleBuford

Zootopia is not humans dressed up as animals. Zootopia takes place in a world where animals are dominant and evolved into what we see in the show. There are also, from what I can remember, no primates in the movie. So no way for humans to exist.
It uses animals to tell a human story. That’s true of many Disney films, of course, but the Zootopia characters really have nothing to do with their real-life counterparts and inhabit a world that is much closer to our own human context. I think that needs to be acknowledged as a simple fact, regardless of where stands on the IP’s suitability for Animal Kingdom.

UNCgolf

You took what I said too literally.

They're functionally humans dressed up as animals. They're exploring human issues metaphorically through animals -- compare to something like the Lion King, where they talk, but they're still functionally animals in the natural world. They don't live in buildings and drive cars.

DCLcruiser

It uses animals to tell a human story. That’s true of many Disney films, of course, but the Zootopia characters really have nothing to do with their real-life counterparts and inhabit a world that is much closer to our own human context. I think that needs to be acknowledged as a simple fact, regardless of where stands on the IP’s suitability for Animal Kingdom.
Yes, of course. Zootopia is a variant of our timeline (Starting with Adimal and Egret). Just put that on a sign on the path and we're all set for the transition.

DCLcruiser

You took what I said too literally.

They're functionally humans dressed up as animals. They're exploring human issues metaphorically through animals -- compare to something like the Lion King, where they talk, but they're still functionally animals in the natural world. They don't live in buildings and drive cars.
100% agree. The DMV is my favorite part. I get that they are not animals in the sense of any other part of DAK besides Camp Minnie Mickey.

Kamikaze

If they attempted to tie all Pacific Island cultures into one place, I agree. It’s a similar argument to smashing Coco and Encanto into one land without delineation of locale. Yet, AK pulls off “Asia” and “Africa,” both vast and diverse, relatively successfully. Granted, Rhode May not be there to get a similar effect this time around, but one possibility:
Have Sydney Harbor “host” the land anchored by Nemo theater refaced to the Opera House. Then, a Polynesian Visitor Center of sorts set in Australia can tell the cultural and animal story with Moana and Maui joining in some fashion. A well executed flume could recreate their journey across the ocean, both restoring the heart of Te Fiti edutainment style and landing them in Sydney for their upcoming vacation/visit.

I’m not a creative by any means, so don’t ask me for exact details. But I can see it working in my logical head.
Right - because 'South Pacific' isn't a specific place, like I said. Nor is Africa and Asia, but if Africa was specifically 'Ghana' for example, that might be an issue with placemaking.

doctornick

I actually wish they would avoid the fictional Motunui in lieu of real South Pacific places that inspired the story. The biggest complaint I see with Frozen in Norway is the shoehorning of a fictional locale into a generally related place. If they add Micro/Polynesian and Oceania animal exhibits (they should for park integrity), a fictional island could feel out of place. Having Moana and Maui tell their story, as voyagers to the real lands however …

I think some people are overthinking this as well as not particularly looking at how the park has been arranged.

The Moana section would very likely be something like "Oceana" and also include the Nemo show. @ToTBellHop said the plan was also to have some animal enclosures as well, which one would think would probably be Polynesian animals or ones from New Zealand/Australia. This would very directly mimic how Africa and Asia are set up, albeit in a smaller land (just given the footprint involved). I wouldn't surprised to see the Dino half of the RoL theater also get a makeover to look more Polynesian in character since it would solidly be in that land.

Now, I don't know what they'd name that village, but again if they follow the conventions of Africa/Asia, it would be some made up location with characteristics of a real world locations. I don't think they call it Motunui (the island in Moana) per se, but I'm sure they can come up with some vaguely Polynesian name that would work just as "Harambe" or "Anandapur" do for those lands.

Phicinfan

Disney is losing or has lost all sense of theming.

The fact that Hispanicland and Villians could be beyond Big Thunder after putting Tiana in Frontierland is proof
I have to ask again, how is another seperate area - Encanto, Coco and Villians land(and we are not even addressing most of this won't happen....), being separated by a ride? Please tell me how this transition is any worse than Tomorrow land to Fantasy land? Folks have to get the idea out of their limited views that this will be considered part of Frontierland.

As for Tiana, yeah don't disagree there much.

DCLcruiser

In what world are Bugs and Dinosaurs not Animals??
Humans = Animals
Bugs = Animals
Dinosaurs = Animals

@pdude81 said if you don't consider humans to be animals, then what are bugs and dinosaurs? Which makes sense. If you don't count humans as animals, then perhaps other creatures are not animals either. The answer is they are all animals, therefore, humanoids are acceptable for DAK.

LittleBuford

Humans = Animals
Bugs = Animals
Dinosaurs = Animals

@pdude81 said if you don't consider humans to be animals, then what are bugs and dinosaurs? Which makes sense. If you don't count humans as animals, then perhaps other creatures are not animals either. The answer is they are all animals, therefore, humanoids are acceptable for DAK.
Humans are technically animals, yes, but pretty much all of us make an idiomatic distinction between ourselves and the creatures we typically call animals. Again, one can be OK with the addition of Zootopia without resorting to this kind of roundabout logic.

Phicinfan

While I wouldn't want Moana in the animal kingdom, I agree that it fits as well as something like Avatar. I personally just don't think Moana needs to be in 2 places. The movie was fine, I enjoyed it. Is it a classic? Not in my eyes, at least not yet that it would warrant 2 substantial areas in 2 parks.
But, but...the Rock!!

To be honest, as it probably shows, I am not as opposed to this as some.

First the attraction in EPCOT is a walk through that focuses on the water life cycle(we assume...) with Moana enhancement. In World of Nature that to me makes sense.
As for this potential land in AK, if it focuses on similar message, and call it south pacific island area or some such as that and does not only focus on Moana the movie, then I think this too fits.

Its a fun movie, and as someone who really enjoys the tropical islands, I can get into this if done well

DCLcruiser

Humans are technically animals, yes, but pretty much all of us make an idiomatic distinction between ourselves and the creatures we typically call animals. Again, one can be OK with the addition of Zootopia without resorting to this kind of roundabout logic.
I'm not thrilled with Zootopia at DAK. I'm just explaining why the poster is correct. If Mickey and Minnie can exist at DAK, then so can Zootopia. They are from the same "animals with jobs, cars and pants" world.

DCLcruiser

Why should we assume this? Every time they make some odd choice people concoct these ways it works and the franchise is just a sprinkling and it’s never the case.
Well, to keep with the DAK neighborhood themes, "Oceania" would make the most sense. It would allow for Moana (Pacific Islands) and Nemo (Australia/Pacific) to be tied together.

Asia
Africa
Oceania
Zootopia
Pandora
Discovery Island (I guess out of theme, but it's the hub)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom