News Zootopia and Moana Blue Sky concepts for Disney's Animal Kingdom

Kamikaze

I actually wish they would avoid the fictional Motunui in lieu of real South Pacific places that inspired the story. The biggest complaint I see with Frozen in Norway is the shoehorning of a fictional locale into a generally related place. If they add Micro/Polynesian and Oceania animal exhibits (they should for park integrity), a fictional island could feel out of place. Having Moana and Maui tell their story, as voyagers to the real lands however …
The problem with actual specific places is that you need to pay the proper attention to make sure you're getting those places right. You can't have it be set in Samoa (for example) and then have Rapa Nui moai there, because that's not accurate. But if you have it set in fictional Motonui (or another fictional conglomeration) then you can pull in aspects of all the South Pacific cultures and have them represented without any potential complaints about inaccuracies.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
I know I'm probably preaching to the choir here but barring any major news stories or social media backlash (like what happened with Splash), Disney couldn't care less what people say on social media (including forums). While they do take into account emails, phone calls and in person complaints, they are utterly obsessed with their guest surveys. Everything is shaped around data from them. I know they can be lengthy, but please take them. They won't change a thing unless it is reflected in their survey data. Cheers.
So @disneyglimpses is this when we disccuss the survey months ago that WDW parks asked guests to rate parks and attractions that they recently visited?
(This is the same survey that asked them to rank what attractions needed to be refurbished, gutted, rethemed, etc.) Dinosaur was on the survey, I did put it needed a refurb not a retheme

And then Parks also wanting to verify all the parks the guest did in a day and to what transportation they used to get from Park A and then after park hopped Park B?

It seems to me they're following the data and now feeling the crowd.

sullyinMT

The problem with actual specific places is that you need to pay the proper attention to make sure you're getting those places right. You can't have it be set in Samoa (for example) and then have Rapa Nui moai there, because that's not accurate. But if you have it set in fictional Motonui (or another fictional conglomeration) then you can pull in aspects of all the South Pacific cultures and have them represented without any potential complaints about inaccuracies.
If they attempted to tie all Pacific Island cultures into one place, I agree. It’s a similar argument to smashing Coco and Encanto into one land without delineation of locale. Yet, AK pulls off “Asia” and “Africa,” both vast and diverse, relatively successfully. Granted, Rhode May not be there to get a similar effect this time around, but one possibility:
Have Sydney Harbor “host” the land anchored by Nemo theater refaced to the Opera House. Then, a Polynesian Visitor Center of sorts set in Australia can tell the cultural and animal story with Moana and Maui joining in some fashion. A well executed flume could recreate their journey across the ocean, both restoring the heart of Te Fiti edutainment style and landing them in Sydney for their upcoming vacation/visit.

I’m not a creative by any means, so don’t ask me for exact details. But I can see it working in my logical head.

LSLS

Or you just call it South Pacific land. I mean, that's essentially what they did with Asia and Africa. That's why you can have a Mandril and Okapi in the same attraction, or a Colobus Monkey and Gorilla in the same area.

DCLcruiser

It would be COMPLETELY out of place to walk into a futuristic urban environment in the middle of Animal Kingdom. People would absolutely notice and hate it. You don't put a volcano ride in the middle of Main Street, USA. You just don't.

Honest to God, why are you even a Disney Parks fan?
People will love it. I'm not advocating for it, but guests will eat up Zootopia in DAK. They take their kids to DAK to see animals, and now they get M&Gs with mascots, a new less-scary-ride, and tons of plush to buy. Win-Win.

Plus, depending on height, the skyline may be fairly hidden. Dinoland is basically invisible to most guests. It's not in the middle of DAK, it is on the perimeter, surrounded by dense foliage.

Last edited:

erasure fan1

again disagree. Let me ask this, what is your view of Avatar in AK? How is Moana not an exact duplicate of this? They are based on the importance of interaction with nature. I will add as pointed out elsewhere, there is a direct reaction of people with the Ocean and Ocean life in Moana, which is an expansion for AK.
While I wouldn't want Moana in the animal kingdom, I agree that it fits as well as something like Avatar. I personally just don't think Moana needs to be in 2 places. The movie was fine, I enjoyed it. Is it a classic? Not in my eyes, at least not yet that it would warrant 2 substantial areas in 2 parks.

LittleBuford

While it isn’t something I actively want, I don’t quite understand the ideological (if I can call it that) opposition to Zootopia given that Beastly Kingdom would also have been very far removed from themes of nature and conservation.

DCLcruiser

American kids don't care about Zootopia in 2022.
They care about animals, especially funny animals in pants. Plus a D+ show is coming.

It doesn't really matter what they are from. There will be a *new* area of DAK and it will have animal mascots walking around. Parents and kids will flock to it.

DCLcruiser

While it isn’t something I actively want, I don’t quite understand the ideological (if I can call it that) opposition to Zootopia given that Beastly Kingdom would also have been very far removed from themes of nature and conservation.
Beastly Kingdom would have been the mythological section, which was a Day 1 part of DAK. Plus, they don't wear pants, so it's Rohde approved.

LittleBuford

Beastly Kingdom would have been the mythological section, which was a Day 1 part of DAK.
That’s sort of my point: that the original plan for the park already included an extensive area that was a frivolous and whimsical departure from real-life nature.

Plus, they don't wear pants, so it's Rohde approved.
This objection to Zootopia makes more sense to me, though it should be noted that Beastly Kingdom would have included a Fantasia ride featuring these guys:

MV5BMDc5YjVhOGItNjU0NS00NDcyLTljNGQtZjViNjIyZGU5NzcyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyNDQ2NjI@._V1_.jpg

UNCgolf

I think it's easiest to just say that the person who designed the park and its theme says it doesn't fit.

Regardless, Beastly Kingdom doesn't exist, and was also about animals, even if they were mythical ones. They weren't humans dressed up as animals.

LittleBuford

I think it's easiest to just say that the person who designed the park and its theme says it doesn't fit.

Regardless, Beastly Kingdom doesn't exist, and was also about animals, even if they were mythical ones. They weren't humans dressed up as animals.
Some of the Fantasia characters come close (see my post above), but I do see your point. That said, a well-done, self-contained Zootopia ride/area wouldn’t bother me in the least. (Full disclosure: I would prefer Animal Kingdom to transition entirely away from keeping captive animals, so that also informs my thinking on these matters.)

DCLcruiser

I'm really not sure that's true. Meet and greets seem to be mostly weird Instagram adults these days.
That is true, but they pay for tickets. I would hope most people in line are kids/guardians. They will love Zootopia.
That’s sort of my point: that the original plan for the park already included an extensive area that was a frivolous and whimsical departure from real-life nature.

This objection to Zootopia makes more sense to me, though it should be noted that Beastly Kingdom would have included a Fantasia ride featuring these guys:

MV5BMDc5YjVhOGItNjU0NS00NDcyLTljNGQtZjViNjIyZGU5NzcyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyNDQ2NjI@._V1_.jpg
No pants. ✅

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom